Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booing Goodes was all about the situation.

If you were booing him after he'd just slid knees first into the ribs of one of your first year draftees, great, totally support it.

If you were booing him the first time he took possession 10 seconds into a game, then it's bullshit and it's racist. Goodes was being booed because he made moderately outspoken comments about racism suffered by Indigenous footballers and Indigenous people in general. If you booed him during that period of time, you engaged in racism whether you feel like a racist or not.

From the Herald Sun via Mark Robinson on Twitter
D4_Z4D0UwAANwKi

Is this supposed to be clever or something?

Booing Goodes was all about the situation.

If you were booing him after he'd just slid knees first into the ribs of one of your first year draftees, great, totally support it.

If you were booing him the first time he took possession 10 seconds into a game, then it's bullshit and it's racist. Goodes was being booed because he made moderately outspoken comments about racism suffered by Indigenous footballers and Indigenous people in general. If you booed him during that period of time, you engaged in racism whether you feel like a racist or not.
He was booed because he was an ‘uppity n....r’ who made the grubs feel inadequate. Like Bolton said he was an absolute gun as a bloke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was pretty awesome when we all booed the putrid old coffin dodger at that first showdown at Adelaide Oval.

Our group going off at the ‘THANKS SOUTH AUSTRALIA’ logo on the back of their banner only to see the same one on the back of ours a minute or two later rofl

I've let my emotions get the better of me at the footy plenty of times but I don't really understand booing.

And I think during medal presentations it is in poor taste. Pack up and go home if you're that pissed off about a result.

I thought it was embarrassing for essendon fans.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He was booed because he was an ‘uppity n....r’ who made the grubs feel inadequate. Like Bolton said he was an absolute gun as a bloke.

Think you misread the situation - to use your language they don’t make ‘uppity negroes’ Australian of the Year. He was booed because he was overlauded by the establishment - and this stuck in the craw of a lot of ordinary supporters. And then it stuck further in the craw when the same establishment said you couldn’t pay your money to sit in the outer and boo the guy and that if you did you were an ignorant racist. The whole situation had as much or more to do with class, and the Australian tall poppy syndrome, than it did with race.

Think you misread the situation - to use your language they don’t make ‘uppity negroes’ Australian of the Year. He was booed because he was overlauded by the establishment - and this stuck in the craw of a lot of ordinary supporters. And then it stuck further in the craw when the same establishment said you couldn’t pay your money to sit in the outer and boo the guy and that if you did you were an ignorant racist. The whole situation had as much or more to do with class, and the Australian tall poppy syndrome, than it did with race.

He was 'overlauded' by the establishment for standing up to racism. He was Australian of the Year for his contribution to the community, which was certainly befitting of the award over and above other sportspeople who had previously won it.

There was an element of tall poppy syndrome about it, sure, because of the support he'd received from the AFL community after being racially abused. But in booing someone because you don't like the way they were supported after being the victim of racism, you're furthering that racism whether you believe you are or not.

That was a far sadder time for footy than the booing by Essendon supporters post-match today. Essendon supporters were frustrated with an umpiring performance. The booing of Adam Goodes was a persistant campaign by people who didn't like him because he'd stuck up for himself after being racially abused and then been supported by the AFL community about it.

Was the booing of Goodes after the pointing out the Collingwood girl, or the next year when he done the spear chucking dance toward the Carlton fans at the SCG? I can't remember exactly.

There was no need for such an aggressive celebration as Sydney walked over Carlton at home. It was in my eyes an act of deliberate antagonism and one couldn't help but think it was an attempt to incite a reaction. A reaction is what happened. Doesn't mean it's right but when you let the genie out the bottle those things can happen.

667176-tlslargelandscape.jpg

I hope this becomes Collingwood's clash kit. They did a great job on the guernsey, inverting the balance between black and white stripes. It worked! I would just put a white collar on it.

White socks would be better as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back