Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFL Injury List by Experience. Interesting to see Port's 4th worst even with all the games of Mayes, McKenzie and Trengove sitting in the SANFL.

Capture.PNG

Sort of begs the question why have Cripps and Parker still go their jobs when we continually have large holes in our list? The turnover says it's been poor list management of guys who got their jobs in 2011 and 2010 respectively. The hole in the 23-27 year olds, is too big.

We yo-yoed in the past and will do so again this year and probably next year with such a lopsided list once we pick up a few injuries.

AFL Injury List by Experience. Interesting to see Port's 4th worst even with all the games of Mayes, McKenzie and Trengove sitting in the SANFL.

View attachment 674273
Where is that from as that's a bit different to the one Swamp produced before last round. Tigers and Port had more experience out than the Swans.

Betts has another year to go on his contract and on current form shouldn't go around again, but Jenkins is signed on till the end of 2021. I can't see them getting anyone to pick up his salary for that length of time, or for the picks the Crows would demand for a contracted player. They'd need to move Jacobs (and probably Douglas) on too
This is Jacobs' last year so that would be a fair chunk off the top. Douglas too.

All academic though, Collingwood will have all sorts of side deals and post-footy career options in play. Can't see him leaving.

Players that we could have played over the ones that did:

100+ games

McKenzie - 107 games
Mayes - 101 games

50-100 games

Trengove - 89 games
Bonner - 30 games

10-49 games

Nil

Under 10 games

Butters - 7 games
Atley - 3 games
Frampton - 1 game
Cox - 0 games
Fredrick - 0 games
Garner - 0 games
Grundy - 0 games
Hewett - 0 games
Ladhams - 0 games
Pudney - 0 games
Woodcock - 0 games

Players that we did play to replace the players we lost/dropped:

100+ games

Broadbent - 162 games
Motlop - 161 games

50-100 games

Nil

10-49 games

Johnson - 11 games

Under 10 games

Farrell - 6 games

Players that were in the team already:

100+ games

Westhoff - 256 games
Boak - 251 games
Ryder - 234 games
Rockliff - 180 games

50-100 games

Lycett - 83 games
S.Gray - 82 games
Byrne-Jones - 72 games
Clurey - 68 games
Burton - 55 games*

10-49 games

Houston - 47 games
Amon - 46 games
Powell-Pepper - 46 games
Howard - 36 games
Marshall - 16 games

Under 10 games

Lienert - 9 games
Drew - 8 games
Duursma - 8 games
Rozee - 8 games

Name another team that has 53% of their entire games played sitting on the sidelines in recovery.

Are you saying there was absolutely no prospect of winning on the weekend? Otherwise you’re just debating a point I’m not even arguing.

View attachment 674273

That list is wrong.

Since Robbie is still listed as 'assess', he's still on the injury list, which means we are missing Ebert (242), Gray (205), Watts (174), Hartlett (153), Wines (134), Dixon (126), Jonas (126) and Burton (55). 1215 games. 36.34%...just below Sydney.

Are you saying there was absolutely no prospect of winning on the weekend? Otherwise you’re just debating a point I’m not even arguing.

If Adelaide had played the game on its merits instead of flooding back as if they were playing a team that was superior than they were and the umpires weren't so obviously in their pocket (Stephens was ridiculous), then sure.

When they decided to keep +2 in defence and we lost the long kick of Burton, no chance.

If Adelaide had played the game on its merits instead of flooding back as if they were playing a team that was superior than they were and the umpires weren't so obviously in their pocket (Stephens was ridiculous), then sure.

When they decided to keep +2 in defence and we lost the long kick of Burton, no chance.

If only there was some way we could’ve counteracted this tactic.

Players that we could have played over the ones that did:

100+ games

McKenzie - 107 games
Mayes - 101 games

50-100 games

Trengove - 89 games
Bonner - 30 games

10-49 games

Nil

Under 10 games

Butters - 7 games
Atley - 3 games
Frampton - 1 game
Cox - 0 games
Fredrick - 0 games
Garner - 0 games
Grundy - 0 games
Hewett - 0 games
Ladhams - 0 games
Pudney - 0 games
Woodcock - 0 games

Players that we did play to replace the players we lost/dropped:

100+ games

Broadbent - 162 games
Motlop - 161 games

50-100 games

Nil

10-49 games

Johnson - 11 games

Under 10 games

Farrell - 6 games

Players that were in the team already:

100+ games

Westhoff - 256 games
Boak - 251 games
Ryder - 234 games
Rockliff - 180 games

50-100 games

Lycett - 83 games
S.Gray - 82 games
Byrne-Jones - 72 games
Clurey - 68 games
Burton - 55 games*

10-49 games

Houston - 47 games
Amon - 46 games
Powell-Pepper - 46 games
Howard - 36 games
Marshall - 16 games

Under 10 games

Lienert - 9 games
Drew - 8 games
Duursma - 8 games
Rozee - 8 games

Name another team that has 53% of their entire games played sitting on the sidelines in recovery.
Average Games Played is probably the only ladder where we comfortably make the eight most years under Hinkley. I can't find an update for this year, but this is last year's ranking of Average List Games Played (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-29/oldest-youngest-most-experienced-club-lists-compared)

Hawthorn 80.4
Collingwood 78.9
Adelaide 71.4
Richmond 70
Geelong 69.6
Sydney 69.1
Port Adelaide 68.9
West Coast 68.5

North Melbourne 65.1
Greater Western Sydney 61.2
Melbourne 59
Western Bulldogs 58.9
Fremantle 58.3
St Kilda 56.7
Carlton 56.7
Brisbane 56.6
Essendon 55.4
Gold Coast 50.2

We're in the top eight with recent premiership winning and grand final sides, with none of their results. So are we going to pretend this year is a magical exception to a prolonged lack of results, just because we have a top heavy list of guys on the decline who're literally falling apart? Its not new.

Last edited:
Sort of begs the question why have Cripps and Parker still go their jobs when we continually have large holes in our list? The turnover says it's been poor list management of guys who got their jobs in 2011 and 2010 respectively. The hole in the 23-27 year olds, is too big.

We yo-yoed in the past and will do so again this year and probably next year with such a lopsided list once we pick up a few injuries.

Parker and the drafting team are probably the best performing department right now.

I don’t think they are to blame for the gap. Any gap is most certainly overstated by the fact we have depth that Hinkley is just plain ignoring, and the fact we’ve traded a few away Polec Wingard hombsch young impey and lost quite a fair few to injury.

I’ll do a quick drafting assessment in a moment cause I suspect Parker’s done pretty well considering he hasn’t had that many picks to do it with (trading for Ebert Ryder Polec and Dixon and expan teams diluting the draft)

My thoughts having a look through the list is that drafting has served us well and is performing strongly so let’s give them priority ie get as many picks as possible in a certain span of time to let them build the list that way. Especially when said team has a strong record with late draft picks

Parker and the drafting team are probably the best performing department right now.

I don’t think they are to blame for the gap. Any gap is most certainly overstated by the fact we have depth that Hinkley is just plain ignoring, and the fact we’ve traded a few away Polec Wingard hombsch young impey and lost quite a fair few to injury.

I’ll do a quick drafting assessment in a moment cause I suspect Parker’s done pretty well considering he hasn’t had that many picks to do it with (trading for Ebert Ryder Polec and Dixon and expan teams diluting the draft)

My thoughts having a look through the list is that drafting has served us well and is performing strongly so let’s give them priority ie get as many picks as possible in a certain span of time to let them build the list that way. Especially when said team has a strong record with late draft picks
Parker has been good, but rating recruiters should be like Michelin Stars for restaurants. You can be good, but you don't get one until a legit KPF is on the menu.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parker has been good, but rating recruiters should be like Michelin Stars for restaurants. You can be good, but you don't get one until a legit KPF is on the menu.
Butters is a garnish, not a meal.

I'll see myself out.

Yeah

Although imagine how envious this board would be if Marshall Frampton and Howard had been recruited to a different team under a coach that isn’t Hinkley

We would be wishing we could draft 3 genuine talls like that

And I certainly don’t remember at any time the power having talls like that on our list. We had dan Stewart or Ryan Willits

When you consider how spoilt for choice Hinkley actually is compared to any coach in our afl history it makes what he’s done even more aggravating.

But yes I want more emphasis on drafting kfs for sure. It’s why I controversially selected one in the mock draft (one that has kicked 5 goals in the last 2 weeks in the wafl)

I think our issue is mainly development as opposed to drafting.

We get players to a certain level of competency then they don't take the next step

I think our issue is mainly development as opposed to drafting.

We get players to a certain level of competency then they don't take the next step
Fair point. Harder to measure and benchmark though.

Maybe end of 2021-22 looking at Impey v Burton might tell us something about the 2 clubs development.

Average Games Played is probably the only ladder where we comfortably make the eight most years under Hinkley. I can't find an update for this year, but this is last year's ranking of Average List Games Played (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-29/oldest-youngest-most-experienced-club-lists-compared)

Hawthorn 80.4
Collingwood 78.9
Adelaide 71.4
Richmond 70
Geelong 69.6
Sydney 69.1
Port Adelaide 68.9
West Coast 68.5

North Melbourne 65.1
Greater Western Sydney 61.2
Melbourne 59
Western Bulldogs 58.9
Fremantle 58.3
St Kilda 56.7
Carlton 56.7
Brisbane 56.6
Essendon 55.4
Gold Coast 50.2

We're in the top eight with recent premiership winning and grand final sides, with none of their results. So are we going to pretend this year is a magical exception to a prolonged lack of results, just because we have a top heavy list of guys on the decline who're literally falling apart? Its not new.
This page will help and scroll back the years on the left hand side of that page link.

https://www.draftguru.com.au/lists/2019

This page will help and scroll back the years on the left hand side of that page link.

https://www.draftguru.com.au/lists/2019

Thanks!

And lol, we've gone from 7th to 6th on Average Games Played this year (Sydney dropped below us), so its even more pronounced.

EDIT: In fact we're 6th for Most Games Played (Avg) yet have the 6th Lowest Age (Avg).

Thats the story of our list in two stats. Lost of kids in need of game time, and a bunch of experienced guys about to drop off the twig. More fodder for The Gap

Thanks!

And lol, we've gone from 7th to 6th on Average Games Played this year (Sydney dropped below us), so its even more pronounced.

EDIT: In fact we're 6th for Most Games Played (Avg) yet have the 6th Lowest Age (Avg).

Thats the story of our list in two stats. Lost of kids in need of game time, and a bunch of experienced guys about to drop off the twig. More fodder for The Gap
Change between 2 lists is the supplemental selection player picks after that AFL link article.

Yep we have a big hole between 23-26 year olds even 23-27 year olds and the quality of players in that group.

That group represents the 2009-14 drafts.

Most of these guys are marginal players. games played at start of season is the last column. Sorted by Age.

https://www.draftguru.com.au/lists/2019/port-adelaide

1557899098048.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back