Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Port ceased to exist, I reckon I’d have two options for a team to support and they both played last night.

I find it interesting that I see GWS as a solid football club, but GCS as a sterile exhibition franchise. Giants feel much more grounded.

Matt de Boer has played in 4 PF's for a W, L (at Freo), L, W record. Another example of someone who isn't a star can have plenty of finals success compared to star players who don't play many finals in a career.

His finals record is 10-8 better than any Port player in the AFL. Better than Dangerfield's 6-10. Its how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

Matt de Boer has played in 4 PF's for a W, L (at Freo), L, W. Another example of someone who isn't a star can have plenty of finals success compared to star players who don't play many finals in a career.

His finals record is 10-8 better than any Port player in the AFL. Better than Dangerfield's 6-10. Its how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

So what you're really saying is - we need our grunt players who aren't stars to be de Boer level and not Sam Gray level.

So what you're really saying is - we need our grunt players who aren't stars to be de Boer level and not Sam Gray level.
That's one of the things I'm saying.

I have a feeling the tiggers will smash the living suitcase out of greater western Siberia and as far as I'm concerned if it does happen it couldn't happen to a more deserving mob.
As for the love for Toby Greene, give me a f****** break, genuinely tough players don't rake their fingers down another bloke's face while two others hold him down, he is a dirty little campaigner, end of story!

AFL claims there was ‘insufficient evidence’ to overturn goal in Pies v Giants

Just when you think the AFL couldn't be more corrupt they come up with this. Might just say it happened against the pies, we can't apologise.

Just when you think the AFL couldn't be more corrupt they come up with this. Might just say it happened against the pies, we can't apologise.

Not disputing but the fact the umpires did not call for a review is mystifying to say the least.

If Port ceased to exist, I reckon I’d have two options for a team to support and they both played last night.

I find it interesting that I see GWS as a solid football club, but GCS as a sterile exhibition franchise. Giants feel much more grounded.

I reckon you can owe it to their recruitment strategy and their choice of first coach. They got a bunch of veterans to help see them through the early years and impart some experience, and got an old timer coach who was well respected and a known legend to the kids. It made sense then and it still makes sense now.

Friendly reminder that GWS just beat Collingwood at the MCG without Greene and Whitfield (plus a few more guns they’ve been without this year) in front of 80,000 screaming Collingwood fans after back to back travel.

If we were in that predicament, the three K’s would have forfeited the match.

Look no further than the meek capitulation against their hessian sack full of potatoes in the 2003 PF.

If only we’d had players who could match it with Ben Kinnear, Richie Cole, Jason Cloke, Matt Lokan, Ryan Lonie, Shane O’Bree, Josh Fraser, Ben Johnson, Shane Woewodin, Anthony Rocca and Brodie Holland.

It's possible the GWS player used alien mind powers to bend his fingers back. And only people watching at home could see it.

Remember how people fretted about the result if a game being decided because technology wasn't available to make the correct call? Welcome to the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a feeling the tiggers will smash the living suitcase out of greater western Siberia and as far as I'm concerned if it does happen it couldn't happen to a more deserving mob.
As for the love for Toby Greene, give me a f****** break, genuinely tough players don't rake their fingers down another bloke's face while two others hold him down, he is a dirty little campaigner, end of story!
Whats your opinion on dave granger?

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't mind if the ball is touched in the field of play not affecting whether it's a goal or not unless the umpires call it on the ground. When does it stop? Just leave reviews to goal line stuff, and tell them to get on with the rest. I mean, what if an umpire calls a ball touched and it hasn't been? Does it get counted as a goal? Does it get reviewed?

You'll be sitting there for hours looking through every bit of footage.

AFL admits score review blunder over Thomas goal
THE AFL has conceded the morning after that Josh Thomas' controversial goal in Saturday's preliminary final should have been ruled a behind.
Greater Western Sydney led by 33 points early in the final term before Collingwood mounted a stirring comeback that began with a Jaidyn Stephenson major.
However, it was Thomas' snapped goal out of the pack shortly after, which reduced the margin to 20 points with only nine minutes gone, that became the talking point.
The AFL's score reviewers in the ARC followed the correct process – after the umpire did not call for a review – in conducting a 'silent review' of the vision before the ball was bounced.
They decided there was insufficient evidence to declare beyond reasonable doubt the ball was touched.

The AFL extensively reviewed the footage on Sunday morning and confirmed the wrong call was made on Thomas' shot at goal.

Geez AFL agrees mistake made ... What now ... sack the reviewers LOL
And then they say ...
An AFL spokesperson said it was important to note that the new ARC score review system was designed to be "complementary" rather than serve as the umpire.

Last edited:
AFL admits score review blunder over Thomas goal
THE AFL has conceded the morning after that Josh Thomas' controversial goal in Saturday's preliminary final should have been ruled a behind.
Greater Western Sydney led by 33 points early in the final term before Collingwood mounted a stirring comeback that began with a Jaidyn Stephenson major.
However, it was Thomas' snapped goal out of the pack shortly after, which reduced the margin to 20 points with only nine minutes gone, that became the talking point.
The AFL's score reviewers in the ARC followed the correct process – after the umpire did not call for a review – in conducting a 'silent review' of the vision before the ball was bounced.
They decided there was insufficient evidence to declare beyond reasonable doubt the ball was touched.

The AFL extensively reviewed the footage on Sunday morning and confirmed the wrong call was made on Thomas' shot at goal.

Geez AFL agrees mistake made ... What now ... sack the reviewers LOL
And then they say ...
An AFL spokesperson said it was important to note that the new ARC score review system was designed to be "complementary" rather than serve as the umpire.

Everyone: So you admit you made the wrong decision?
AFL: Yep
Everyone: Is anything going to be done about it to ensure it doesn’t happen again?
AFL: Nope
Everyone: ...

That’s basically what happens every time.

I reckon you can owe it to their recruitment strategy and their choice of first coach. They got a bunch of veterans to help see them through the early years and impart some experience, and got an old timer coach who was well respected and a known legend to the kids. It made sense then and it still makes sense now.

I was listening to Mick Maltshake vigorously defending Guy McKenna's appointment as SUNS coach yesterday, but of course he was one of MM's golden boys. Whilst McKenna may have had some of the credentials to become an AFL coach, to hand a brand new team to a first time coach probably wasn't wise. That said, he is the SUNS most successful coach to date.

Difficult to disagree PG and it's this manipulation by the AFL in supposedly growing the game that spoils it all for me.

Aussie Rules is a great game but marred by doubtful decisions by the AFL.

I genuinely get the game needs expansion but not to the detriment of other teams, so it must be fair play for all.

It's hard enough to get and or retain major sponsors in the best of times.
GWS concessions IMO, are minor in the AFL scheme of things. There are WAAAAY bigger issues that compromise the integrity of the competition ....

EG:
*** How many games did Richmond play at home in Melbourne at the MCG in 2019? That, on its own, is a way bigger leg-up that any concession given to the Giants!
*** How many Friday night/prime-time games are gifted to the likes of Collingwood/Richmond et-al, facilitating huge financial windfalls that make them powerhouses?
... and so on!

I could go on, but suffice to say, the negatives of GWS's isolated location, lack of home crowd support, travel requirements, etc, easily balance out the concessions received. I for one cheered them home yesterday, and will be doing the same next week!

GWS concessions IMO, are minor in the AFL scheme of things. There are WAAAAY bigger issues that compromise the integrity of the competition ....

EG:
*** How many games did Richmond play at home in Melbourne at the MCG in 2019? That, on its own, is a way bigger leg-up that any concession given to the Giants!
*** How many Friday night/prime-time games are gifted to the likes of Collingwood/Richmond et-al, facilitating huge financial windfalls that make them powerhouses?
... and so on!

I could go on, but suffice to say, the negatives of GWS's isolated location, lack of home crowd support, travel requirements, etc, easily balance out the concessions received. I for one cheered them home yesterday, and will be doing the same next week!

You are late to the party, those issues have already been discussed and agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back