Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrizzt

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Running people over isnt an addiction caused by driving a car. Theres no organized advertising campaigns for running people over either.

Gambling is a known addiction.
Its incredibly negligent of the AFL to be promoting gambling on the one hand but then sanctioning players for doing it.

They cant have their cake and eat it.

The only real negative is that he did it on his own team. It was neglidble amounts of money so he cant be accused of match fixing especially when hes paid a tonne of money to play.

Of course hes an idiot for doing it, but theres bigger issues here then a 20 year old kid being an idiot.

Why come down so hard on this issue but other issues on field its all wishy washy and especially dependant on who it is and what jumper theyre wearing?
You do realise they're not sanctioning him for gambling, yeah? It's for betting on - not just AFL, but - his own team. There's the nuance that separates driving a car legally to running down pedestrians.

All new players go through mandatory AFL induction, which includes topics such as gambling. Collingwood likely run their own programs on top of that, too.

Or someone at the AFL found out about it already (loose lipped mate maybe? wouldn’t be the first, ask Jake Carlisle) it was still hush hush so they let best buds Collingwood frame it as an admission rather than a looming scandal.

Given how the AFL works it seems as believable, player statement or not.
I guess its so stupid a thing to do for $36, I'm prepared to give the benefit of the doubt to a dumb young kid. But if he or his mate talked to others and it got out and its not self reported then yeah its an AFL PR job.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
That punishment would be about right if it were just standard bets on collingwood to win, but that he has specifically gambled on individual team mates and himself makes it far worse. It's absolutely compromised the look. Should be doubled.

It is completely untenable that he'll be allowed to play again this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FPPF

Premiership Player
May 9, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You do realise they're not sanctioning him for gambling, yeah? It's for betting on - not just AFL, but - his own team. There's the nuance that separates driving a car legally to running down pedestrians.

All new players go through mandatory AFL induction, which includes topics such as gambling. Collingwood likely run their own programs on top of that, too.

You don't seem to get the hypocrisy of the AFL even having rules against players gambling on the AFL while heavily involved with advertising and promoting gambling during AFL matches and AFL themed programs.

I'm not suggesting he shouldn't be sanctioned. Absolutely he should.
I haven't looked, but has the AFL even offered counseling or anything of the sort? We are talking about young people paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, in an industry that is heavily involved with promoting and advertising gambling, who are then told they can't put bets on AFL games.

Gambling being an addictive thing and a hugely controversial issue in our society.
But the AFL will happily promote various social issues in our society, but somehow thinks they have a moral high ground to stand on when sanctioning a player whose placed a few small bets.

These dick heads in AFL HQ need to look at them selves in the mirror.

Chrizzt

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That punishment would be about right if it were just standard bets on collingwood to win, but that he has specifically gambled on individual team mates and himself makes it far worse. It's absolutely compromised the look. Should be doubled.

It is completely untenable that he'll be allowed to play again this season.

I'm not sure if its made up but I saw on the internet (where there are no lies) that one of his bets was for him to kick 3+ goals against Freo. He had a free kick from 60 m out late in the 4th quarter and decided to kick a torp for goal instead of centring kick like 99.9% of other players would have done.

rumoursofwinter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 7, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Damien oliver was suspended for 8 months for placing $10k on a horse against the mount he was riding. They were first and second favorites. He was paid his winnings in cash by Robert smerden who 'recently' was suspended for life for systemic doping and betting offences. Oliver got another two months for a violation of using his mobile. Oliver had a good bloke under pressure first time reason for his lenient suspension.

Not sure the point of this post but whilst the afl is rolling in the dosh from gambling sponsorship they are comprised from an integrity perspective.

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You don't seem to get the hypocrisy of the AFL even having rules against players gambling on the AFL while heavily involved with advertising and promoting gambling during AFL matches and AFL themed programs.
Players are also banned from using phones during AFL matches. Yet the AFL has lots of ads for Telstra around. And Port Adelaide even ran around with a phone company on their tops.

Kiss from a Rozee

Goddess
Bring Back the Bars
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I’ll bet this has happened about a million times but Stephenson was the only one to admit it.

This is why penalty based justice systems are bullshit. They promote not getting caught and that’s it.

I’d also like to point out how farcical it looks that he is getting suspended for betting the same week Fremantle and Walters in particular are given the easiest ride seen in a long time. I’d rather the AFL address that part, but we all know they have no real integrity and this is all a charade.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What he's done is bad but I am never sure of the appropriate suspension when the crime is not the extreme case. However I'm battling with the 22 game ban with a suspension of more than half of the games, it feels like a let off. Also 10 games seems to perfectly slot into the timing of finals. It is like a nod that finals are more important than the game's integrity.

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What he's done is bad but I am never sure of the appropriate suspension when the crime is not the extreme case. However I'm battling with the 22 game ban with a suspension of more than half of the games, it feels like a let off. Also 10 games seems to perfectly slot into the timing of finals. It is like a nod that finals are more important than the game's integrity.

Probably more a nod to the fact that Eddie wields more power at AFL HQ than is good for the overall health of the game.

is it just like essendon self reporting ???
Depends who you believe.

James Hird's writ against the AFL includes the allegation that league chief executive, Andrew Demetriou, told Essendon's former chairman that the club's players had taken performance-enhancing drugs.
The so-called 'Demetriou tip-off' is presented is presented as a key factor in the club 'self-reporting' to anti-doping authorities. The writ addresses a phone call between Demetriou and ex-Essendon chairman, David Evans, on February 4, 2012. And, according to Hird's version of events, "Evans said that Demetriou said words to the effect that Essendon players had been taking performance enhancing drugs".....

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
64324252_2421470074771839_8153085561289048064_n.jpg

LFC2010

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 28, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Boston Celtics

100% this, VFL confirmation.

If this was say any Port player I'd guarantee there would be no suspension of games.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
I'm not sure if its made up but I saw on the internet (where there are no lies) that one of his bets was for him to kick 3+ goals against Freo. He had a free kick from 60 m out late in the 4th quarter and decided to kick a torp for goal instead of centring kick like 99.9% of other players would have done.

Imagine Freo make finals ahead of us in 9th and one of their wins was against a team with a guy who placed on bet on himself and had a low percentage shot late in the game and missed, in a game they lost by under a goal.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Probably more a nod to the fact that Eddie wields more power at AFL HQ than is good for the overall health of the game.

Gil Shocking told Eddie that 12 of Stephenson's 22 match ban would be suspended if he agreed to Port wearing their traditional jumper for one pre-season game against the Crows in 2020, and - get this - shut up about it!!

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
T Shaw is a biased flog confirmed. Outraged he got 10 weeks , with more than half suspended. :rolleyes:

He half has a point, Gaff only got 8 for his hit on Brayshaw which we all would agree is wrong.

Probably cant bring the value of the bets into it though. He made a bet on an AFL game which is a massive no no, even worse, a game he was playing in and just to top it off some bets involved himself.... Maybe the reason he had a crack at that great torp goal he kicked was because he had money on himself kicking 3.

No doubt the AFL are making an example of him, maybe the value of the bets have come into it (yes that contradicts the above) or maybe the self reporting is why 12 were suspended.

elsler

Premiership Player
Mar 4, 2008
Albertron
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Roll Tide Alabama Crimson Tide
more to the point with Tony shaw he thinks its a multibet but wasn't it 3 different bets over 3 different rounds so hardly a single multi bet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back