Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
“In my discussions with the Adelaide Football Club, I have also made it clear that there will be non-negotiables surrounding any proposal,” Mr Goldstone told the meeting.

“Firstly, no licensed facility in the parklands, no increase in footprint beyond the size of the current facility and no significant change to the public’s access.”

There will be a **** fight about this. This is probably the biggest demand by crows supporters on their club to get a facility. Surely the council wont be able to stop them setting up the equivalent of the Port club that can hold a few hundred people there to buy a meal and drink.

There won't be any fight from the Crows board. They don't want a club rooms because it isn't economically viable (and would compete with their own pubs)

They probably asked the council to include the clause to save them the $$

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Anyone know how Sam Mayes is travelling?
I've liked his game since he was drafted and thought he would offer us something on the wing.

Started on fire then we started to play him as an on baller similar to how we try to play Motlop at afl level and his gotten a little quieter every week. Would be the most likely to benefit from getting a few back on the park and having to play less of an inside mid role.

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
22FAF43B-F5BF-42E0-8BC7-6303AC90B068.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Personally, i cant see how they actually ejected him. Hasn't done anything wrong. Isn't fighting, threatening, vulgar swearing (which still you should get a warning) its not racist.

I would have refused to get up and wouldn't of thought security have any right to touch you to make you leave as you aren't doing any of the above.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Had a look at the crows board and one of their posters quoted something from the council without a link and then next post listed the 4 non negotiables and the first was
  1. No permanent licensed facility in the parklands
That isn't what the ACC CEO Mark Goldstone is quoted as saying in today's Tsier story linked above said. He said - "Firstly, no licensed facility in the parklands."

They are 2 different things. The crows don't need a permanent licence but it would be better than a temporary one or limited one, say only for game days when the team plays in SA or interstate or exhibition match overseas and for special club functions eg Player sponsor night.

It will be a **** fight but they will probably get a temporary / limited licence.

Adelaide Uni Footy Club and Cricket Club are on the parklands at Uni Oval 500m from AO, and about 5 years ago when they built the new lights and extended the Long Room, they obtained a temporary/limited liquor licence to open the bar on game day, 1 training night per week and for special club functions like photo day. If they have a temporary/limited liquor licence on the parklands, I can't see how the crows can't get one.

Goldstone mentions 'No licensed facility in the parklands' as the ACC's first condition again in today's press. If the AFC don't have a permanent license their facility is never going to rival Alberton or any SANFL club for that matter. They could get by with a restricted trading license for pre and post match trading but they really need to be able to trade for 365 days of the year and have UTab, gaming, dining, and even convention facilities to make the development pay for itself. I think Goldstone is pretty niave if he cannot see that a liquor licence is an essential requirement in the proposed development. Without a permanent license the Crows venture becomes nothing more than a 60M dollar training and merchandise outlet.

I also forsee a s**t fight over the licensing issue. I would not be surprised if the lack of a satisfactory liquor license kills the proposal. Not that it should worry any of us but it would be nice to see the Crows * off out of Port's backyard.

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Goldstone mentions 'No licensed facility in the parklands' as the ACC's first condition again in today's press. If the AFC don't have a permanent license their facility is never going to rival Alberton or any SANFL club for that matter. They could get by with a restricted trading license for pre and post match trading but they really need to be able to trade for 365 days of the year and have UTab, gaming, dining, and even convention facilities to make the development pay for itself. I think Goldstone is pretty niave if he cannot see that a liquor licence is an essential requirement in the proposed development. Without a permanent license the Crows venture becomes nothing more than a 60M dollar training and merchandise outlet.

I also forsee a **** fight over the licensing issue. I would not be surprised if the lack of a satisfactory liquor license kills the proposal. Not that it should worry any of us but it would be nice to see the Crows **** off out of Port's backyard.

I wonder if the SMA would like this? Potential impact on them for reduced revenue?

The way circles work in this town makes me think they will get whatever they want, what we read in the media is usually 3 steps behind (would be further advanced than we think), for instance the Hotel at the Adelaide Oval has been our to tender for along long time.

jac147

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
A news report this morning said its only a training and an administrative facility. No mention of any other club function ie bar/bistro or merchandise outlet but did mention heaps of money via the Feds.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
The news report said its only a training and an administrative facility. No mention of any other club function ie bar/bistro and merchandise outlet but did mention heaps of money via the Feds.

60 million is a bloody lot to spend on an office block, change rooms, gym and a training oval. As much as I despise the AFC they are not that stupid. If they, or their Government and corporate backers, are going to spend that sort of money they will want to recoup it somehow. 60 million is a lot of t-shirts and caps.

tbh i don’t care about the Crows moving to the aquatic centre. its a nothing place near nothing, inconvenient to get to/from when its surrounded by peak hour, * all parking, and probably too far from Adelaide Oval to really benefit from game day expenditure. win win win win win

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Personally, i cant see how they actually ejected him. Hasn't done anything wrong. Isn't fighting, threatening, vulgar swearing (which still you should get a warning) its not racist.

I would have refused to get up and wouldn't of thought security have any right to touch you to make you leave as you aren't doing any of the above.
There are now conflicting reports and he has been reported before and apparently his social media posts vile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back