Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
lol - no pressure. Another one in the long line of Petrenkos, Gores, Sigginses etc. that have been dubbed by the Advertiser as the second coming of <insert generational player here>. You could probably name a whole 22-man team of them now and still have some that were unlucky to be left out.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
At least they've moved on from calling every young indigenous player the "new McLeod."

They can hand down the number 18 as enthusiastically as they hand down the number 23.

Dav

Hotel? Trivago.
10k Posts Koala SFA State of Origin Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A. Pantskyle SFA Fight For MND SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Brisbane Dolphins Player - BFFCL BFFCL Club Captain Blue Mountain Bounders Player - BFFCL
Jul 23, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brighton, McLaren F1
FMD the AFL media MASSIVELY overrates Esava Ratugolea for a young ruckman with less than 20 games. Just because he's a springy ruckman. Damien Barrett just labelled him a vital part of Geelong's premiership plans and commentators absolutely froth over him. If Nic Nat had never played, Esava would not get as much praise.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza

Tex puts Don on notice...

Kiss from a Rozee

Goddess
Bring Back the Bars
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Rucci more critical of Pyke than Hinkley. Figure that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I reckon Hinkley seems like he has all the attributes to be a fantastic coach, passion, intelligence, empathy, charisma and a ruthless edge. The issue is just that it hasn't all come together and might never all come together.

Don Pyke just oozes "meh" to me.

I can honestly understand why anyone who has actually met Ken would love him (not that I have), but at the same time if this season is a failure the dream is over and he has to go. I've never really understood the prevailing view around here that he is a s**t coach, but I might just have too much empathy for him or something.

I dunno its always confused me, I mean we haven't been the best team under him, is that all people are going off? Or is it something in his personality that I'm just not seeing? Is it that people actually thought Butcher was a decent footballer? Is it that people hate the forward pressure gameplan THAT much that they can't see why he favours guys like Neade/Sam Gray?

I mean I can definitely see the mistakes and the faults, but for whatever reason they don't bother me NEARLY as much as they do a lot of people. I also don't tend to pin the success of the team purely on the head coach but rather the org as a whole.

That said I do absolutely despise Koch, probably because he is so bourgeoisie and so arrogant.

Betts will easily kick 4 or 5 against the Suns. The issue is when they come up against a team that cuts off the supply.

10 of his 24 goals this year have come in the final quarter with the Crows either winning or losing by a significant margin.

He’s no longer much of a factor in terms of being able to impact a game with the result in the balance, regardless of opposition.

Rucci more critical of Pyke than Hinkley. Figure that out.

Port’s just a widdle club on the bones of its backside and Hinkley worked miracles dragging a properly-funded football department and list to the giddy heights of mediocrity.

The Crows are a latent juggernaut who should be contending every single year even though half their list at any one time wouldn’t look out of place at the Suns, etc.

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
I reckon Hinkley seems like he has all the attributes to be a fantastic coach, passion, intelligence, empathy, charisma and a ruthless edge. The issue is just that it hasn't all come together and might never all come together.

Don Pyke just oozes "meh" to me.

I can honestly understand why anyone who has actually met Ken would love him (not that I have), but at the same time if this season is a failure the dream is over and he has to go. I've never really understood the prevailing view around here that he is a s**t coach, but I might just have too much empathy for him or something.

I dunno its always confused me, I mean we haven't been the best team under him, is that all people are going off? Or is it something in his personality that I'm just not seeing? Is it that people actually thought Butcher was a decent footballer? Is it that people hate the forward pressure gameplan THAT much that they can't see why he favours guys like Neade/Sam Gray?

I mean I can definitely see the mistakes and the faults, but for whatever reason they don't bother me NEARLY as much as they do a lot of people. I also don't tend to pin the success of the team purely on the head coach but rather the org as a whole.

That said I do absolutely despise Koch, probably because he is so bourgeoisie and so arrogant.
Well, I'm sure many Collingwood fans feel the same way about Eddie, but the club president never stopped a team from winning a premiership, so I wouldn't worry too much about Koch.

And I definitely think Ken is better than Pyke. Pyke might have a good practical understanding of the game, but he certainly does not have the passion and connection with his group as a good coach should have.

Kiss from a Rozee

Goddess
Bring Back the Bars
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
10 of his 24 goals this year have come in the final quarter with the Crows either winning or losing by a significant margin.

He’s no longer much of a factor in terms of being able to impact a game with the result in the balance, regardless of opposition.
He just can’t find space anymore like he once did.

Still has insane skills, and does command respect but his problem is that the opposition always give him that respect since Adelaide have zero talented forwards outside of him haha

Chrizzt

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Still has insane skills, and does command respect but his problem is that the opposition always give him that respect since Adelaide have zero talented forwards outside of him haha
Just quietly I'd suggest a loss of passion could have a fair bit to do with it.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

But haven’t you heard? They apparently have Eddie Mk II playing this weekend, they will be unstoppable.

FMD the AFL media MASSIVELY overrates Esava Ratugolea for a young ruckman with less than 20 games. Just because he's a springy ruckman. Damien Barrett just labelled him a vital part of Geelong's premiership plans and commentators absolutely froth over him. If Nic Nat had never played, Esava would not get as much praise.
Damien Barrett is someone who is always looking at everything being so serious, or so important or so dangerous.

But he is correct that Ratugolea makes Geelong a better side. The oppo has to stop 2 Gorilla forwards not one when he plays. Now his output isn't anything like Hawkins, but it means its harder to have 2 big defenders try and nullify Hawkins, jumping into him and defending against him, when Ratugolea is playing. He has missed the last 3 games and they have lost 2 of them and both times in their losses, Hawkins output has been below his season averages.

As the footy cliche goes, Ratugolea doesn't have to be a star player - he just has to play his role well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back