Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Great....We play better when we're favourites.😬

Oh don't worry. The media would only be talking about Collingwood and Eddie would be complaining about the 6 day break after they win.

2013 all over again.

HinkleysHeroes

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If they do have to give the umps a voice, how about someone humble who thinks “I’m out there do a job and nothing more if your not talking about me I’ve probably done a good job” not Mr “I love to influence games” and “people come to watch me umpire”
To be fair, he did say he got one wrong on the weekend. But...he said the free was there every day of the week and he thinks he didn't call it because the player played for it a bit more than required.

Pay the frees regardless Ray! Ya ninny.

At least he admitted the mistake.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
...he said the free was there every day of the week and he thinks he didn't call it because the player played for it a bit more than required. ...
This is something that really annoys me about AFL umpires. If the free is there you must pay it and a player making it obvious that they have been infringed doesn't negate the infringement.

How many times is Robbie obviously held but is not awarded a free kick because he supposedly exaggerates?

I too thought that a Richmond vs West Coast GF was a mere formality last year, but I don't necessarily buy into that. The fact is that Richmond didn't turn up in the Preliminary Final last year and Collingwood did.

But then again, Collingwood did make it all that way despite beating only one Top 8 side for the year.
Richmond had their worst performance of the year (of their 5 losses), sure WCE loss earlier in the year was marginally bigger, but Grundy and Cox really exposed their going small/one ruck strategy that failed badly when their little blokes were neutralized. They were the best side over the first 25 weeks, just that they played their worst game in week 25.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
I have been updating this spreadsheet for the last 2 or 3 years to see how all the expansion sides have gone over their first 8 years. I was partly motivated by people who pissed their pants and said the GC and GWS would win 5 premierships each over, or several premierships each over the first 10-15 years of their existence and compared them to the older expansion sides who drew heavily from state leagues rather than kids in the draft.

Brisbane were given the dregs of the 12 existing VFL sides, so had to start using the draft from about 1992 to start assembling their dominate side then aided by the merger with Fitzroy before they got any real success.

This expected domination hasn't been the case and whilst this year hasn't finished the GWS wont win this year's flag, but will play in 4 consecutive finals series. 2016 probably was the year they missed their best chance to win a flag. They have been hit hard by injury the last couple of years.

The interesting thing about GWS is they haven't had a big backward year yet after progressing or staying about the same place for the first few years. A big backward year is lose 4 or more home and away games than the previous year.

WCE went backward by 6 wins in their 3rd year,
Brisbane 4 wins in their 4th year,
Adelaide 4 wins in thier 4th year,
Freo 3 games in their 4th year and then another 2 in their 5th to go from 10 wins to 5 over 2 years,
Port 5 wins in their 4th year and
GC 6 wins in their 5th year.

GWS have gone 2 wins, 1 win, 6 wins, 11 wins in 2015 then 16 wins, 14 wins and 2 draws, 13 wins and a draw, and 12 wins this year win maybe 1 more win before finals this year.

GC still haven't beaten Adelaide after 13 games. It took Brisbane 12 games to beat Collingwood, 11 games to beat Essendon and 15 games to beat WCE in 1996, although they drew with them in 1992. Freo took 10 games to beat WCE and Port took 10 games to beat North including a final in 1999.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Aaron Sandilands has announced his retirement, with the Dockers set to give him a farewell home game against Essendon this Saturday night. Won't be playing against us in the last round.

Congratulations to him on a fantastic career, he was a game changer at his best.

Sandilands to retire

Where has that been said? This week's game against Essendon will be his last home game, but if they still have a skerrick of a chance of making the eight you'd expect him to play against us if fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LFC2010

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 28, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Boston Celtics
A Keath still struggling with managing that ankle.

We all know he's off the Dogs, his management are just better off announcing it now.

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
A Keath still struggling with managing that ankle.

We all know he's off the Dogs, his management are just better off announcing it now.
He's off to the dogs? i didn't know this, i haven't heard anything about this at all. that would be a huge loss for the crows, was very good from the games i saw him play this year.

West Coast - the reigning premiership team - have played 2 top 8 teams since round 6. Lol.

The big Vic clubs don’t want to travel there which feeds the monster more.

Feb 7, 2014
reynella
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea FC , Boston Red Sox/celtics
I was sitting in the 2nd level up near the goals, I swear Schulz was eye height when he took that specky.

happened right in front of me (crows guy pun i know ;) ) what a great game and what a legend schulz was , him and tredrea were so inspiring to watch live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back