Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 1, 2014
NeverNevers
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan is showing bias and he needs to pull his head in, especially when his appalling conflict of interest is on full display.

On Tuesday afternoon, Gillon McLachlan was being interviewed on 3AW by Caroline Wilson when he was asked about off-contract GWS star Stephen Coniglio and he implored the midfielder to stay at GWS.

Sorry Gil, since when do you get to try and influence a player’s business decision? Stay in your lane.

Not only is any knowledge McLachlan might have on what is happening with Coniglio not for public discussion but he shouldn’t be using his status in the game to try and sway a star player’s decision either.

Doing so is an absolute abuse of his influence and flies in the face of his policy of staying quiet on other major issues this year

Whether Coniglio stays or goes should be no business of McLachlan’s, but perhaps he has a vested interest: The success of GWS as an entity.

Sep 18, 2011
here
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea / Ferrari F1

AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan is showing bias and he needs to pull his head in, especially when his appalling conflict of interest is on full display.

On Tuesday afternoon, Gillon McLachlan was being interviewed on 3AW by Caroline Wilson when he was asked about off-contract GWS star Stephen Coniglio and he implored the midfielder to stay at GWS.

Sorry Gil, since when do you get to try and influence a player’s business decision? Stay in your lane.

Not only is any knowledge McLachlan might have on what is happening with Coniglio not for public discussion but he shouldn’t be using his status in the game to try and sway a star player’s decision either.

Doing so is an absolute abuse of his influence and flies in the face of his policy of staying quiet on other major issues this year

Whether Coniglio stays or goes should be no business of McLachlan’s, but perhaps he has a vested interest: The success of GWS as an entity.
Gill is a utensil biscuit.

I like Bucks more and more..

Gill is a utensil biscuit.

I like Bucks more and more..

So says the coach of the club whose CEO takes a position on what another club can wear in its 150th year.

Don't like people weighing in on your business Bucks?
Then get the * out of ours.

Garibaldi Red

Cancelled
Bring Back the Bars
Jul 22, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Nottingham Forest
R.I.P. Graham 'Polly' Farmer

Saw Polly play against SA in the ‘69 State Carnival played at AO. Even for a novice to the game, as I was at that time having been in the country for around 12 months, I was super impressed with him that day.

IIRC he won the Simpson Medal for that carnival.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Saw Polly play against SA in the ‘69 State Carnival played at AO. Even for a novice to the game, as I was at that time having been in the country for around 12 months, I was super impressed with him that day.

IIRC he won the Simpson Medal for that carnival.

Simpson Medal for best WA player yes, but not the Tassie Medal - he didn't even get selected in the All Australian side, which had 3 ruckmen - Peter Darley, John Nicholls and Sam bloody Newman ahead of him. Polly was 34 by then though and back in WA as captain-coach of West Perth.

Hey guys,
I'm going to be in Adelaide on the 25th of August for business, so i'm thinking of heading down to Adelaide Oval to watch the Port V Freo game.
Is walk-up tickets generally available for your matches or should I go through the online purchasing process just to be safe?
First time going to Adelaide Oval so i've got no idea about the process.
Thanks

R.I.P. Graham 'Polly' Farmer

F66BB36D-F34D-4527-BF36-92EC25806FE8.jpeg

4B9DA45C-4A05-4B22-BB27-5C005E55B0E8.jpeg

The day he was almost decapitated at the opening of his own Freeway.

Hey guys,
I'm going to be in Adelaide on the 25th of August for business, so i'm thinking of heading down to Adelaide Oval to watch the Port V Freo game.
Is walk-up tickets generally available for your matches or should I go through the online purchasing process just to be safe?
First time going to Adelaide Oval so i've got no idea about the process.
Thanks
You will be right to walk up to the gate and buy a ticket as i doubt more than 35k in a 53k ground will rock up and we sell plenty of general admin tickets as well as allocated seat tickets for every game..

Unless by some shear miracle both Freo and Port are playing to make the 8 and everyone comes out of the wood work.

Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers, Anaheim Ducks, LA Rams
If the AFL wants GWS and GC to be successful then they should introduce no trade clauses into contracts. Unless you have one then you can be traded anywhere like a lot of other major sports do. No more churning through draft picks as they could be traded for established players on long term deals.

Players would then get their choice of where to go once they hit free agency.

If the AFL wants GWS and GC to be successful then they should introduce no trade clauses into contracts. Unless you have one then you can be traded anywhere like a lot of other major sports do. No more churning through draft picks as they could be traded for established players on long term deals.

Players would then get their choice of where to go once they hit free agency.
If the AFL want the 2 new clubs to be successful, they need to attract good football to the key positions and have a look at history and learn from it.

Look at the 4 clubs from WA and SA, they started off strongly because they had people in their home state who were good solid football people that had a long history in the game, and attracted some good people form outside their home state to supplement the home grown coaching/management talent. They were zoned good players to start with, but they all had to use the draft to supplement them over the next 6 to 8 years. Freo had a solid but unspectacular start, had 3 bad years after Neesham was sacked, partly because of the WAFC treating the poorly, but after 2001-02 restructuring by the AFL they became a solid stable club.

Sydney and Brisbane finally got there after they got rid of the dopey private owners who didn't understand the game and eventually attracted some good football people to the club after some help from the AFL eg Barassi at Sydney was more than just the coach as he used his status to make sure the AFL helped him appoint good people across the board. and then Brisbane Bears started the long road to respectability with Andrew Ireland appointed CEO and Walls as coach. Then they both eventually got good players.

The GC and GWS are more the other way round. Got these amazing kids up front but didn't have good solid footy people in key positions, so they could handle the rough times say like Fagan and Noble at Brisbane presently.

If both GC and GWS had of appointed a Neil Balme type as GM Football Department at each club, or say after 3rd or 4th year and that person was there for a decade, neither would be in the same sort of mess they are in. GC need a Balme type a lot more than GWS, but GWS still need decent footy people to help them maximize the output from their deep talent pool.

Last edited:

Rexie J

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2012
YP
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The blunt reality the genuine talent has been spread far too thinly in the indecent chase for the almighty dollar demanded by the TV exects.

The equivalent of at least two complete squads could be, perhaps should be deleted from the AFL but that will never happen.

Aussie Rules is the poorer.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The blunt reality the genuine talent has been spread far too thinly in the indecent chase for the almighty dollar demanded by the TV exects.

The equivalent of at least two complete squads could be, perhaps should be deleted from the AFL but that will never happen.

Aussie Rules is the poorer.
It’ll keep happening as well. Tassie may eventually get a team, then another will be thrown somewhere to even up the numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back