Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 13

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except when North — North! — led them 64-0 in Hobart.

And in true Hinkley fashion we were able to enjoy that result for all of five minutes until shitting the bed against West Coast at Adelaide Oval again.
For every good event there is at least an equally bad, hilariously embarrassing and opposite event - Hinkley's 6th law of football

It wasn't that enjoyable, they got within 4 goals a few times I think and that would've meant a special edition advertiser to commemorate THE COMEBACK.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

North Adelaide is pretty dead during footy games and I don't see the Crows moving to the Parklands changing this. The 2 main reasons are the 2 hour parking restrictions preventing anyone parking in North Adelaide and secondly, virtually all of the public transport funnels people into the city. Unless you catch a bus that goes down O'Connell, Jeffcott or Melbourne Street, there is fu** all reason to go to North Adelaide. The Crows having their training base there won't change that.

Maybe the parking time limit changes come later.....

I don't honestly understand why they want to even move. What do they actually gain?

They're just wasting money on a new facility IMO. They've got a home ground and a good facility, I don't understand why a move achieves anything.

They're too far away from Adelaide Oval to make it somewhere people go post game, they're going to have to drive or bus from the facility to AO, just like they would if they were at West Lakes, etc.

I just don't see what they gain.
The land they want is valued conservatively at $40million - they won’t pay a cent for that land.

they then get about $20million from taxpayers to contribute to their build

That is just the start. Throw in $$ from the sale of the partially taxpayer funded centre at West Lakes.

Apologies if old news but a rumour on the terraces at Family Day was Polec has done his foot again. Didn't play in their intra-club. Anyone in the know?
Herald Sun says he's in doubt for round 1 with foot soreness, no surgery needed.

And in true Hinkley fashion we were able to enjoy that result for all of five minutes until shitting the bed against West Coast at Adelaide Oval again.
Yeah remember that well. Some-one told me the running score from Hobart and my reaction was shock n awe then thinking you bewdie

everyone around me was rapt then an hour or so later there's me head down trudging off to the train station muttering duck duck duck

again :mad:

I feel like the peak Hinkley era 'unable to enjoy an Adelaide capitulation due to imminent bed shitting' was the North game last season... Adelaide lose big at home to Collingwood to drop below us out of the 8 on percentage, that finals spot is ours for the taking with a win, an hour later we go out and lose by more to drop below Adelaide again... Bed sheets ruined... But really, in the Hinkley era we've gone through more sets of sheets than a hospital

It's beyond a meme now it's happened so often. One of the reasons I hate Sunday games is the absolute surety, that if other results fell our way, giving us a chance to get a break on teams, we would s**t the bed.

In this I can't just blame Hinkley. He has us starting games with one hand tied behind the back with his ineptitude without a doubt (#sackhinkley). However when our players win many fewer games (against comparable opposition) in these situations versus when the games around us haven't fallen in our laps, only confirms the lack of on-field leaders. Or players that aren't mentally weak in general. I exclude our younger players, but anyone putting together best 22's for Port has to look beyond stats to see how often our 'senior' players have capitulated to stop rating them so much. I'd rather back in younger players who may right now not be quite as good, but at least with them it's not a sure thing they'll just buckle mentally when it matters most.

Last edited:
I'm genuinely interested in some objective opinions regarding the move to AAC.

If it goes ahead, I personally won't use the facility as I live a fair distance away, so I don't have a whole lot of skin in the game. Taking that into account, sure I would like to see the crows get a nice new central base. I'd like to see new swimming facilities for public use, and a couple of nice ovals sound good.

I understand the argument about setting a precedent, I just don't see a great alternative for the AAC in its current state.

If you live in the area, what are your biggest concerns? And if you don't live around there, aside from the rivalry, what are your concerns?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For what its worth, I actually grew up across the road from Alberton oval. Enjoyed having a kick on the nice oval, watching footy there for what it was and a few meals at the club. It was convenient, and good for the community overall. That's how it was regardless of the fact I couldn't stand the magpies or the power, doesn't make it any less of a positive.

For what its worth, I actually grew up across the road from Alberton oval. Enjoyed having a kick on the nice oval, watching footy there for what it was and a few meals at the club. It was convenient, and good for the community overall. That's how it was regardless of the fact I couldn't stand the magpies or the power, doesn't make it any less of a positive.
I think the vast majority of us dont give two shits about the crows wanting to relocate. We just want to see them not get their way for a change.

I'm genuinely interested in some objective opinions regarding the move to AAC.

If it goes ahead, I personally won't use the facility as I live a fair distance away, so I don't have a whole lot of skin in the game. Taking that into account, sure I would like to see the crows get a nice new central base. I'd like to see new swimming facilities for public use, and a couple of nice ovals sound good.

I understand the argument about setting a precedent, I just don't see a great alternative for the AAC in its current state.

If you live in the area, what are your biggest concerns? And if you don't live around there, aside from the rivalry, what are your concerns?

my concern is that they plan to take away a public facility and valuable public land and put it to use for their private gain. Cutting the AAC facilities down to a single 25m pool that “might” be available at certain times isn’t giving the public access, it’s reducing the public’s access.

my concern is that they plan to take away a public facility and valuable public land and put it to use for their private gain. Cutting the AAC facilities down to a single 25m pool that “might” be available at certain times isn’t giving the public access, it’s reducing the public’s access.

Appreciate your response.

I understand those concerns. It's hard because for the crows to want to do this it has to obviously benefit them. And it needs to benefit the community. I really hope they can find that balance and I think they will.

What makes this harder is the alternative. A dated facility that's just a money pit.

I won't sprout figures I don't know, but while it's not ideal to downsize the pool areas, surely it's not the end of the world. If one of the big stipulations is not increase the footprint, it's hard to criticise the reduction of public facilities.

I recently visited Marion aquatic center, and that was pretty good. There's no shortage of swimming facilities around adelaide if that's what your after.

I wouldn't make the mistake of thinking that's the vibe you'll get moving to the city, I have no prob with it though.

I'd like to see new swimming facilities for public use,

I would too. This proposal won't deliver that.

It will reduce the 'aquatic' facilities to a third of the current setup.
The swimming clubs who currently hire it for use as squad training take up half of the main lap pool each weeknight and mornings.
Presuming this will continue, that then reduces the capacity for swimming lessons for younger kids as well as the public access for lap swimming.

This doesn't even touch on the use of the facility as a recreational aquatic centre, nor does it mention how the existing car park will cope with the demand that the new facility will bring.

The proposal is a smoke-and-mirrors proposal which uses all the necessary jargon to engage councillors, but there is very little in the way of public benefit to what is being proposed.

Isn't it a 60mil free hit? While we can't even get funding for lights at Alberton.

Yeah this is an issue. Apart from that I really don't give a s**t. More broadly, the Crows should not be based in the Western suburbs, a few kilometres from Alberton. It makes no sense and now that the SANFL don't exist there, there is no reason to be there. It'll be a training facility, with good facilities but none of the stuff that a lot of their fans want like "A Shed". Think their branding will be minimised as well. The stuff about revitalizing O'Connell Street is complete horse s**t. It makes sense that a team called Adelaide, be based in or near Adelaide though. In many ways it does feel like a massive free kick for them, but in others I don't think it will be everything they want, well maybe what #godhatesfages and the gang wants, but not the supporters.

Yeah this is an issue. Apart from that I really don't give a s**t. More broadly, the Crows should not be based in the Western suburbs, a few kilometres from Alberton. It makes no sense and now that the SANFL don't exist there, there is no reason to be there. It'll be a training facility, with good facilities but none of the stuff that a lot of their fans want like "A Shed". Think their branding will be minimised as well. The stuff about revitalizing O'Connell Street is complete horse s**t. It makes sense that a team called Adelaide, be based in or near Adelaide though. In many ways it does feel like a massive free kick for them, but in others I don't think it will be everything they want, well maybe what #godhatesfages and the gang wants, but not the supporters.
The shed is a white elephant for the crows

The fans want it back.

The club absolutely wants to leave it in the past, because the cost/benefit for building and running a facility for use for a few hundred people for 11-13 days a year isnt feasible.

I would too. This proposal won't deliver that.

It will reduce the 'aquatic' facilities to a third of the current setup.
The swimming clubs who currently hire it for use as squad training take up half of the main lap pool each weeknight and mornings.
Presuming this will continue, that then reduces the capacity for swimming lessons for younger kids as well as the public access for lap swimming.

This doesn't even touch on the use of the facility as a recreational aquatic centre, nor does it mention how the existing car park will cope with the demand that the new facility will bring.

The proposal is a smoke-and-mirrors proposal which uses all the necessary jargon to engage councillors, but there is very little in the way of public benefit to what is being proposed.

Yeah that sounds valid. As I mentioned, it is a challenge maintaining the size of the public facilities when they are bound by the footprint of the existing building. And I am unaware of the amount of recreational use of the joint currently.

So maybe from a public use point of view it does end up slightly worse off. Maybe it's used predominantly more for groups such as schools etc. But what's the medium to long term outlook for the current facility, I guess that's what I keep coming back to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back