Status
Not open for further replies.

rumoursofwinter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 7, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Gold Coast can f*^$ up the development of more talented players and continue to dilute the talent pool. Woot. Maybe give them some help with their programs rather than just wasting the careers of more kids.

I'd be happy to see it. Breaks up and disempowers the VFL bloc from their current stranglehold on the competition.

endless Victoria vs expansion franchise Grand Finals is all we'll get, how is that good for you or I

Still waiting for our priority pick from 2011-12
You mean our pre first round picks like all those Vic clubs got between 1997 and 2009.

We got a pre Rd 2 pick in 2011 and used it to get Ebert.

2012, 5 wins and draw meant we wouldnt have got a priority pick, but if we had the rules before 2006 we would have tanked that draw against Richmond on Rd 22, and get 5 wins like 2005 14th placed Hawks and 15th placed Collingwood get pre Rd 1 priority picks.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
On Saturday the Gold Coast provided Richmond with 3 premiership players from the same draft 2010 ie #9 Prestia, #7 Caddy and #11 Lynch.

The GC dont have trouble identifying talent and even developing them. They have a retention problem. Fix that AFL not the stuff on the edges.
The AFL is working on the theory that if they send enough top end talent to the Gold Coast eventually a couple of them will stay.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
Im ok with it. Hopefully thats the last of it
The problem is that there is no way that that will be the last of it.

As long as the AFL keeps giving them these leg ups there is no incentive for them to address the root cause.

Still waiting for our priority pick from 2011-12

I'm still waiting for our top up player from Essendon's drug cheating.

giphy.gif

Tassie will get a team in 2025, the AFL should announce it in the off season and give them 5 years to plan for it and say we will have a 19 team comp, but say if the GC havent got their s**t together by end of 2024, they will have their licence revoked and Tassie will get access to 10-12-15 of the GC squad first before other sides.

Sep 24, 2008
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
La lakers. Oakland Raiders, bunny’s
The AFL is working on the theory that if they send enough top end talent to the Gold Coast eventually a couple of them will stay.
Of keep Collingwood,Richmond and Hawthorn toped ip for years to come.

endless Victoria vs expansion franchise Grand Finals is all we'll get, how is that good for you or I
You just listed 17 of the 18 teams in the competition, who would you prefer makes it then? If you're suggesting Port v Port then your ideas intrigue me and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter

The other bits of the GC concessions.

Darwin zone, ....... not sure how many good players come out of Darwin compared to rest of NT and what are the rulles if a kid from outback goes to school in Darwin, where is he zoned??

pick GC academy players without bidding ... if there is some decent talent in there then that could be a big leg up

Increased rookie list .... who is going to pay for this? An increased AFL subsidy no doubt. GC will have the ability to rookie up to 10 players. Could be a few gems in this.

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
retention is the main problem they need to sort out but Gold coast getting a few extra concessions in a last ditch effort to save them from their imminent death is not something that i'm too concerned with and i'd like to think if things ever got as serious at our club as it is with theirs than the AFL would help us out too and not just let us die.

What they really need to do is package the picks to get a couple marquee players in their prime across, and probably a coach like Clarko to save them. And before you say they tried that with Gary Ablett, he was a massive mistake, he is hardly the type of player to drive the culture of a footy club. And getting more kids with those picks probably isn't going to help them either, the mindset of a lot of players drafted there is negative before they set foot in the door and they are probably planning for ways to get out at the first opportunity.

Alberton Proud

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2012
Beachside
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
On Saturday the Gold Coast provided Richmond with 3 premiership players from the same draft, 2010 ie #9 Prestia, #7 Caddy and #11 Lynch.

The GC dont have trouble identifying talent and even developing them. They have a retention problem. Fix that AFL not the stuff on the edges.

Yep

Give them extra Celery Cap to entice and retain

Not extra picks

Jul 17, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yep

Not extra picks
There is not enough money in the world to keep people at a soulless holiday destination, retirement village with 0 sense of football community.

Lynch took half to 1/3rd his pay to chase flags in Melbourne. You cant fight that opportunity with a bit of extra cash.

Yep

Not extra picks
No that wont help either.

That is just more AFL subsidies that inflates what average players get paid.

They need good football people in key areas. The fish rots from the head first. They need a chairman, a CEO and executive team, a football ops manager, a list manager and recruiting head and recruiting team, a welfare manager, a head of development, a head coach and a captain who are in the upper echelons of the AFL industry for some of those positions and at worst AFL average for the other positions. They have too many poor people in many of their key positions.

Brisbane is a good example how to turn things around in a non traditional footy state.

They have a s**t load of kids potentially coming thru, as 5-15 year olds who aren't southerns transplanted up there, but kids born on the Gold Coast or surrounding areas of SE Qld and Northern NSW who will provide a decent supporter base and maybe even quality players, in 10-20 years time, but if you don't have good administrators and they keep losing, and are perpetual cellar dwellers, they will lose those kids as potential supporters and potential players.

Last edited:
You just listed 17 of the 18 teams in the competition, who would you prefer makes it then? If you're suggesting Port v Port then your ideas intrigue me and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter

that's my point, that's what we already have now and what will continue, the stranglehold is entirely AFL operated, win-win-win-win-win for the league

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back