Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 13

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely the thread nazi has to be looking at these last posts frothing at the mouth like a rabies infested stray dog screaming over and over THESE LAST POSTS BELONG IN THE DRAFT THREAD 😂

Yep, of everything that bothers me about footy, I can honestly say the length of the half-time break is pretty much bottom of the list. I guess though that the broadcasters want it so they don't have to create so much filler and can schedule more easily.
Less recovery time - more injuries and burnout.
keep the breaks as is, just make the quarters 20 minutes (down from 21minutes) plus time on and that saves 4 minutes. Dont call time on for certain things, save another 5 minutes.
Hey, presto. Game finishes nearly 10 minutes

keep the breaks as is, just make the quarters 20 minutes (down from 21minutes) plus time on and that saves 4 minutes. Dont call time on for certain things, save another 5 minutes.
OR... Just leave it how it is.

How about letting the umpires bounce the ball rather than waiting for the flashing light or 2 ruckmen to nominate.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

How about letting the umpires bounce the ball rather than waiting for the flashing light or 2 ruckmen to nominate.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Or now that we have 4 boundary umpires they get to the ball that has gone out of bounds and wait up to 15 seconds to throw the ball in and the ruckmen to get to the contest and nominate who is rucking. Just throw the ball in and if no players are there then the lose ball stats go up. Eliminate that waste first.

Same with goal umpires wasting time. It's a goal when the ball crosses the line not when it goes over their head and they lean back. How come when its a goal with the ball being kicked on an angel they end up sprinting to get on the right angle end up by the point post, but if its a clear point they dont move. They waste plenty of time, eliminate that waste first.

When watching Dave Warner celebrate his 300, I did detect him produce a faultlessly executed bow to the Adelaide Oval fans. Why aren’t the cricket media types, like the AFL’s Robert Walls, lambasting Warner for showing no respect towards the Pakistanis? Poor old Tredders coped a hiding for his bow by the Victorian media in 2007. How dare he disrespect North Melbourne.

When watching Dave Warner celebrate his 300, I did detect him produce a faultlessly executed bow to the Adelaide Oval fans. Why aren’t the cricket media types, like the AFL’s Robert Walls, lambasting Warner for showing no respect towards the Pakistanis? Poor old Tredders coped a hiding for his bow by the Victorian media in 2007. How dare he disrespect North Melbourne.
They should of let him play out to beat the 400

Davey Warner averaged single figures in England against quality bowling in testing conditions. Him now holding the second best test score for Australia is a blight on the game.

No one has yet come up with a logical reason why the National Draft had to be conducted over two nights. Maybe it sounds a trifle rhetorical but I cannot help but feel that like the Brownlow Count the National Draft has become a media driven extravaganza with just a hint of reality TV thrown in to boost the ratings of the AFL's 'broadcast partners'. Why confine your ratings to one night when you can extract two nights of ratings from the mugs that follow the game? The fact that Gillion McLachlan's speech was too long and it took 45 minutes to get the first pick out of the bag showed just how much the AFL had to pad the proceedings out to make that first night go the distance. Reports are that social media went ballistic at the slowness of the proceedings with fans irate at the amount of time it took for clubs to make selections that they were always tipped to make. Then there is the human element, the Draft must be a really stressful time for a couple of hundred young men so why should many of them be put through 48hrs of purgatory just to provide the media with some sport related reality TV?

No one has yet justified the inclusion of Draft picks during the Draft. The clubs have a ten day Trade Week and clubs had from Oct 10 til November 22 to trade Draft picks. You have to wonder why they need such a long trade period if the clubs are going to wait until Draft Night before they move? Trading on the night just made the whole process more complicated and overlong. Perhaps it would not have been so bad if the AFL Draft Tracker had been able to track the pick swaps and and show an up to date Draft selection order of the entire Draft not just picks 1-22. If it had not been for a couple of sharp posters on this site I would not have know what the situation was re our pick swaps. Port did OK out of trading picks during the Draft this year but that is not a reason to keep a complicated system going. At the time of the Draft I posed the question why Carlton made consecutive bids on players they know were going to be matched? A sharp poster on this site may have had the answer in that Carton were creating the time to negotiate a pick swap with another club. We now know at least one of the clubs they were talking to. Doubtless there are advantages to pick swaps on Draft Night but that does not mean they have to be there or that they add anything to the night(s).

I am possibly a voice in the wilderness here but I used to enjoy Draft Day when it was a relatively straight forward AFL exercise covered by the media. Now that it has become a media driven exercise with an AFL flavour the enjoyment is not there and I watch and listen out of curiosity and nothing else.

I said this straight away as he did it.

fair enough if he wants to jump, go for it, then to bow not once, but twice (did it again coming off the oval) tells all you need to know about him, biggest flog ever to wear the baggy green, and that tells you something when you have M Wade in the same side!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something Glenn Archer Something?

No one has yet come up with a logical reason why the National Draft had to be conducted over two nights. Maybe it sounds a trifle rhetorical but I cannot help but feel that like the Brownlow Count the National Draft has become a media driven extravaganza with just a hint of reality TV thrown in to boost the ratings of the AFL's 'broadcast partners'. Why confine your ratings to one night when you can extract two nights of ratings from the mugs that follow the game? The fact that Gillion McLachlan's speech was too long and it took 45 minutes to get the first pick out of the bag showed just how much the AFL had to pad the proceedings out to make that first night go the distance. Reports are that social media went ballistic at the slowness of the proceedings with fans irate at the amount of time it took for clubs to make selections that they were always tipped to make. Then there is the human element, the Draft must be a really stressful time for a couple of hundred young men so why should many of them be put through 48hrs of purgatory just to provide the media with some sport related reality TV?

No one has yet justified the inclusion of Draft picks during the Draft. The clubs have a ten day Trade Week and clubs had from Oct 10 til November 22 to trade Draft picks. You have to wonder why they need such a long trade period if the clubs are going to wait until Draft Night before they move? Trading on the night just made the whole process more complicated and overlong. Perhaps it would not have been so bad if the AFL Draft Tracker had been able to track the pick swaps and and show an up to date Draft selection order of the entire Draft not just picks 1-22. If it had not been for a couple of sharp posters on this site I would not have know what the situation was re our pick swaps. Port did OK out of trading picks during the Draft this year but that is not a reason to keep a complicated system going. At the time of the Draft I posed the question why Carlton made consecutive bids on players they know were going to be matched? A sharp poster on this site may have had the answer in that Carton were creating the time to negotiate a pick swap with another club. We now know at least one of the clubs they were talking to. Doubtless there are advantages to pick swaps on Draft Night but that does not mean they have to be there or that they add anything to the night(s).

I am possibly a voice in the wilderness here but I used to enjoy Draft Day when it was a relatively straight forward AFL exercise covered by the media. Now that it has become a media driven exercise with an AFL flavour the enjoyment is not there and I watch and listen out of curiosity and nothing else.
70 x 5 minutes per pick, plus extra time for trades and matching bids, plus ad breaks plus BS interviews, plus talking to mum crying and you are up to a 420 minute extravaganza.

70 x 5 minutes per pick, plus extra time for trades and matching bids, plus ad breaks plus BS interviews, plus talking to mum crying and you are up to a 420 minute extravaganza.
Yeah. It’s split over two nights because it would take that long anyway lol.

Quite a big whinge for the sake of it.

The draft is a big thing for a lot of fans - arguably too much so, but we all like our magic beans. While I no longer have the luxury of time to follow it all the way through the year, it's a ritual as a fan to look forward to the onboarding of these next young hopefuls to represent the club and as a follower of the game always intriguing to see where players land. So I like the fact the first round is given a bit of gravitas with the jumper presentation, highlights etc. There's definitely a lot of over-analysis that accompanies it on the production but that's just the reality with anything these days. Then gives a day to digest the first round, some more speculation for how the rest of it will play out etc. all good fun as evidenced by the reams of posts and clicks on articles :)

Would have thought that the live trading on draft night was fairly obvious. Allows clubs to assess and take advantage of any opportunities that present themself - this has been a good addition in my opinion. Carlton's move on Stocker last year was talked about all throughout the year, daresay plenty will be said into the future about Brisbane's eagerness to get hold of Robertson or the Suns with Sharp. Yeah it's all pretty drawn out when the bids start coming in etc. (but again I found it interesting watching Brisbane's reaction to the bids on Coleman and the two the Tigers took from them).

Yeah its nostalgic thinking about when it used to be 8am Saturday morning before heading off to cricket, but people were whingeing about how long it took then and will be doing so long into the future. It's always cool to complain - yet am sure you among man others watched it all and spend hours debating it online because you care a lot about it! Everything could be considered overexposed or excessively analysed by fans.

It doesn’t need to take 5 minutes per pick. GC and Melbourne for instance could have gone:
Gil: GC who do you pi..
GC: Rowell

and over before Gil can finish asking. Even if not the whole draft the first two rounds could easily fit in without the artificial 5 minute break every time.

It doesn’t need to take 5 minutes per pick. GC and Melbourne for instance could have gone:
Gil: GC who do you pi..
GC: Rowell

and over before Gil can finish asking. Even if not the whole draft the first two rounds could easily fit in without the artificial 5 minute break every time.
People want to see their pick not see some kick from another club be interviewed, other people don't want to hear or see some kicked drafted by another club, but want to see and hear the announcement of who their club selected and then watch their interview.

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period, from December 1 to March 15, in which clubs can select a rookie if they have a spot vacant on its rookie list after the rookie draft, or a player retired or was injured and was to be sidelined for the season.

Port have no spots available.

On ya David, if you make 300 for Australia you can celebrate any way you want mate.
Quite a big whinge for the sake of it.

The draft is a big thing for a lot of fans - arguably too much so, but we all like our magic beans. While I no longer have the luxury of time to follow it all the way through the year, it's a ritual as a fan to look forward to the onboarding of these next young hopefuls to represent the club and as a follower of the game always intriguing to see where players land. So I like the fact the first round is given a bit of gravitas with the jumper presentation, highlights etc. There's definitely a lot of over-analysis that accompanies it on the production but that's just the reality with anything these days. Then gives a day to digest the first round, some more speculation for how the rest of it will play out etc. all good fun as evidenced by the reams of posts and clicks on articles :)

Would have thought that the live trading on draft night was fairly obvious. Allows clubs to assess and take advantage of any opportunities that present themself - this has been a good addition in my opinion. Carlton's move on Stocker last year was talked about all throughout the year, daresay plenty will be said into the future about Brisbane's eagerness to get hold of Robertson or the Suns with Sharp. Yeah it's all pretty drawn out when the bids start coming in etc. (but again I found it interesting watching Brisbane's reaction to the bids on Coleman and the two the Tigers took from them).

Yeah its nostalgic thinking about when it used to be 8am Saturday morning before heading off to cricket, but people were whingeing about how long it took then and will be doing so long into the future. It's always cool to complain - yet am sure you among man others watched it all and spend hours debating it online because you care a lot about it! Everything could be considered overexposed or excessively analysed by fans.

Just about every point you raise would be met in a one night exercise with no trading on the night and less time wasting. The purpose of the Draft is not to entertain you or me it is supposedly even the competition up. How can you defend a process that allows clubs six weeks to trade picks then allows them to swap on the night? You either have one or the other.

I didn't spend hours watching it, I only bothered to track the Port picks and I would probably have spent the same amount of time debating the Port picks if they had happened in one night and in half the time.

The general consensus seems to be that it took too long. Let me add to the examples of time wasting that other posters have raised,

Brisbane traded with us and took the number 22 pick. Yet when their turn to use it first up on night two came around they waited five minutes before selecting Deven Robertson. It was the first pick on night two and Brisbane had the choice of the entire field yet they had to discuss who to select and debate the selection among themselves. Even one of the FOXTEL team posed the question, what was there to debate?

If next year's Draft was one night, two or three minutes a selection with all pick swaps completed before the Draft I would be satisfied and you would probably get as much out of it. Oh, and if they cut out Gil's boring speech they would have enough time to present the top ten Draft picks after pick #10.

This is his message: “No game style will ever succeed if we can’t be consistent in our behaviour.”

As he says, there are acceptable behaviours and “behaviours that make you a bad teammate”.

In the ultimate ripple effect, he uses footage and shows them with a laser pointer on a projector screen how one mistake flows on down the field and costs them a goal.

Rawlings is authoritative but encouraging, and the players respond.

As Luke McDonald remarks: “We didn’t pick those things up in the past and it’s going to be massive for us.”

Ben Jacobs, still sidelined with his concussion issues, says shutting down that single metre of space makes the world of difference.

“If I am a step off, that’s another 12 touches for my opponent (in a game). If three guys are a step off, it’s six goals.”

This is what I've been talking about for I don't know how long. If you've got one player who thinks that it's acceptable to play differently to everyone else, it doesn't just affect their performance, it affects the entire team. A missed kick or a missed handball is fine as long as the team is ready and willing to take responsibility and fix it instead of assigning blame.

I do find it amusing that McDonald says that they didn't pick up how one mistake down the field ends up in a goal - goes to show you what sort of players North recruits. Dumb country bumpkin types.

But if you want to know why Dougal Howard was traded in spite of his obvious elite attributes - you just need to look at what Jacobs says. If Howard was always playing behind his man, he was always going to give up possessions to his opponent every game.

No doubt about that the club picking next had to wait for the interview of the previous player to finish way to drawn out.

I love the draft being drawn out over 2 days and the 5 minutes per pick. Gives clubs time to negotiate and strategies, and as a spectator I enjoy having the time to take in the latest trade or pick and look at who is left.

The whole rejig of the draft with future picks, live trading has been a huge success and one of if not the best innovations in the AFL of the last decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back