Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 13

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On ya David, if you make 300 for Australia you can celebrate any way you want mate.

Just about every point you raise would be met in a one night exercise with no trading on the night and less time wasting. The purpose of the Draft is not to entertain you or me it is supposedly even the competition up. How can you defend a process that allows clubs six weeks to trade picks then allows them to swap on the night? You either have one or the other.

I didn't spend hours watching it, I only bothered to track the Port picks and I would probably have spent the same amount of time debating the Port picks if they had happened in one night and in half the time.

The general consensus seems to be that it took too long. Let me add to the examples of time wasting that other posters have raised,

Brisbane traded with us and took the number 22 pick. Yet when their turn to use it first up on night two came around they waited five minutes before selecting Deven Robertson. It was the first pick on night two and Brisbane had the choice of the entire field yet they had to discuss who to select and debate the selection among themselves. Even one of the FOXTEL team posed the question, what was there to debate?

If next year's Draft was one night, two or three minutes a selection with all pick swaps completed before the Draft I would be satisfied and you would probably get as much out of it. Oh, and if they cut out Gil's boring speech they would have enough time to present the top ten Draft picks after pick #10.
Is not just a draft any more, it is a big media event now. It's the way of professional sport. I didn't mind It at all, the analysis and interviews all just part of the tapestry. Need to remember that as much as we might not be interested in other teams picks, analysis,and interviews, there were other people who were.

It can all be wrapped up in 2 nights but I'm ok with the razzle I mean half the kids drafted maybe more will be spuds so draft night(s) is the pinnacle for them.

The player Adelaide drafted (Schoenberg) literally looks like a spud.

This is his message: “No game style will ever succeed if we can’t be consistent in our behaviour.”

As he says, there are acceptable behaviours and “behaviours that make you a bad teammate”.

In the ultimate ripple effect, he uses footage and shows them with a laser pointer on a projector screen how one mistake flows on down the field and costs them a goal.

Rawlings is authoritative but encouraging, and the players respond.

As Luke McDonald remarks: “We didn’t pick those things up in the past and it’s going to be massive for us.”

Ben Jacobs, still sidelined with his concussion issues, says shutting down that single metre of space makes the world of difference.

“If I am a step off, that’s another 12 touches for my opponent (in a game). If three guys are a step off, it’s six goals.”

This is what I've been talking about for I don't know how long. If you've got one player who thinks that it's acceptable to play differently to everyone else, it doesn't just affect their performance, it affects the entire team. A missed kick or a missed handball is fine as long as the team is ready and willing to take responsibility and fix it instead of assigning blame.

I do find it amusing that McDonald says that they didn't pick up how one mistake down the field ends up in a goal - goes to show you what sort of players North recruits. Dumb country bumpkin types.

But if you want to know why Dougal Howard was traded in spite of his obvious elite attributes - you just need to look at what Jacobs says. If Howard was always playing behind his man, he was always going to give up possessions to his opponent every game.
You've said a lot of weird stuff over the years, but using Ben Jacobs quotes as the key to success is next tier.

You've said a lot of weird stuff over the years, but using Ben Jacobs quotes as the key to success is next tier.

The message is sound regardless of who is saying it.

A lot of these "Private School boys" aren't your traditional Private School boys. As has been pointed out, many are on football scholarships and the prevelance of these scholarships are on the rise. Would anybody consider Kysaiah Pickett a typical Private School boy?

The football programmes these schools now is unrecognizable to what it was even a generation ago. It's full on. In a lot of ways they have usurped the state leagues as the breeding ground for drafting talent. Whilst not quite the same, we are starting to see similaries to the American College system.
I always laugh at the old "traditional Private School boys".

Personally I think it's a crock of s**t. For a start, at least where I went to school, most the boarders came from farms and stations all over Australia. In most cases 3rd, 4th and 5th generation. Growing up in the bush to a family has historically always run their own business. Hard to see any of the blokes ever taking a backward step.

And as for rest, again, families that are high achievers and own businesses. They hire and fire the flotsam and jetsam from the rest of society.

I always laugh at the old "traditional Private School boys".

Personally I think it's a crock of s**t. For a start, at least where I went to school, most the boarders came from farms and stations all over Australia. In most cases 3rd, 4th and 5th generation. Growing up in the bush to a family has historically always run their own business. Hard to see any of the blokes ever taking a backward step.

And as for rest, again, families that are high achievers and own businesses. They hire and fire the flotsam and jetsam from the rest of society.
In general supporting the crows is enough to make you unlikable but you've taken it to a whole new level of arsewhole. Good effort.

So what do you identify with, flotsam or jetsam ..?

*Arse-hole .. I'll call that a fail

No one here gives a s**t about your pissant Jim's Mowing franchise, Mr. Businessman. Now * off.

So what do you identify with, flotsam or jetsam ..?

*Arse-hole .. I'll call that a fail

Since when has a-hole had a hyphen? Being the a-hole that you are, I thought you would have known.

Is not just a draft any more, it is a big media event now. It's the way of professional sport. I didn't mind It at all, the analysis and interviews all just part of the tapestry. Need to remember that as much as we might not be interested in other teams picks, analysis,and interviews, there were other people who were.

You miss the point . It is not what it is presented but the manner in which it is presented. I no longer bother watching the Brownlow and it looks like I will do the same with the Draft next year. I just wish I didn't have to wait 28 hrs to find out what I should know in 4 hrs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How did stewy dew know that they would get sharp on the 2nd day? He flew to Perth the day of the 2nd night Was the second night picked earlier than just played later?

How did stewy dew know that they would get sharp on the 2nd day? He flew to Perth the day of the 2nd night Was the second night picked earlier than just played later?

He knew that Gold Coast were stupidly going to trade their first round concession pick next year to Geelong.

You miss the point . It is not what it is presented but the manner in which it is presented. I no longer bother watching the Brownlow and it looks like I will do the same with the Draft next year. I just wish I didn't have to wait 28 hrs to find out what I should know in 4 hrs.
Well my point was that it is subjective. Not everyone, including you, like it. But then many others, including myself, did. While that is the case, it will continue in a similar format As it would be commercially attractive. It could use a few tweaks though, but I am sure they will refine it and adjust it over future years.

Last edited:
Looks like it doesn't take much to trigger crow supporting private school boys. And citing the sons of the landed gentry as examples of hard men isn't very convincing - Gil and Hame McLaughlin?
A walk on the wild side for that mob is crossing the Grand Junction Road border.

Looks like it doesn't take much to trigger crow supporting private school boys. And citing the sons of the landed gentry as examples of hard men isn't very convincing - Gil and Hame McLaughlin?
Yep took the words right out of my mouth. I was going to say as much last night but thought nah it'll give him more oxygen than he deserves.
The thing is that the squattocracy have two things in common. Firstly they basically stole their land in the first place and secondly
thru' "income averaging" they essentially pay no tax. So to call them freeloading thieves aint that far off the mark.
A walk on the wild side for that mob is crossing the Grand Junction Road border.
:D
and that word your fond of using that has struck a cord with me
chortle

* any bets he's Sturt Norwood or Nth Adel leaning. Liberal party and/or Mason to boot

The thing I hate most about the draft these days is the FS and academy bidding process. It's overly complicated for a system that in the end just requires teams to give up a whole load of s**t picks anyway. Just change it to what it used to be (third round pick for a FS) or similar and get on with it.

Haha always love this “I’m a Crows supporter therefore I’m better than you” attitude.

“high achievers”, more like

EC54E03E-B68C-43CC-A579-F3C8F9717B46.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back