Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this mean that all the council run swimming centres in Adelaide are black holes for their council area rate payers as well?

One would assume that given the density of the Adelaide Council Area and the relative high cost of land/property in this area, council receipts from rate payers would be quite large compared to other areas. Does it cost the ACC ratepayers more or less on a proportional basis to keep the North Adelaide Aquatic Centre going than it does say the ratepayers of Marion for their Swimming Centre?

Like most things in Adelaide, the 'upgrade' to the Aquatic Centre which saw the 'roof' put on, was done poorly, with a limited view to the future. The costs the ACC are trying to avoid are long term maintenance costs, directly associated to the decisions to cut corners back then. When the SA Aquatic Centre was built at Marion, it shone a very bright light on just how poor the ACC has managed a public asset that's been under their care for a very long time.

Which puts me in two minds about the Crows development of it. On one hand, it will be good to see the facility get upgraded to the level that it needs to be, assuming there will be no drop in public access.

However, the ACC should not be let off the hook for its bullshit management of the centre for the last three decades and the federal funding coming via the Crows, will do that for them. I don't for one minute believe that the council is against the AFC proposal, they are just managing PR.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
Like most things in Adelaide, the 'upgrade' to the Aquatic Centre which saw the 'roof' put on, was done poorly, with a limited view to the future. The costs the ACC are trying to avoid are long term maintenance costs, directly associated to the decisions to cut corners back then. When the SA Aquatic Centre was built at Marion, it shone a very bright light on just how poor the ACC has managed a public asset that's been under their care for a very long time.

Which puts me in two minds about the Crows development of it. On one hand, it will be good to see the facility get upgraded to the level that it needs to be, assuming there will be no drop in public access.

However, the ACC should not be let off the hook for its bullshit management of the centre for the last three decades and the federal funding coming via the Crows, will do that for them. I don't for one minute believe that the council is against the AFC proposal, they are just managing PR.
If the federal government wants to fund the upgrade of a public asset why funnel that funding via a privately owned profit making business?

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Yeah I have no doubt it will happen. They just won't get the liquour license most of them (supporters not admin) pine for. It will be very much along the lines of the Holden/Lexus/Westpac Centre in Melbourne.

If the federal government wants to fund the upgrade of a public asset why funnel that funding via a privately owned profit making business?
same reason as why the lnp wants the NDIS. Takes public money and puts it into the hands of their mates’ companies. Just another form of privatisation.

BOOM!

I agree. That's not what is on the table though.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
It is the Adelaide Aquatic Centre so I guess that means the Camry Crows are entitled to it.

Screenshot_20191203-143107.png

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I love the draft being drawn out over 2 days and the 5 minutes per pick. Gives clubs time to negotiate and strategies, and as a spectator I enjoy having the time to take in the latest trade or pick and look at who is left.

The whole rejig of the draft with future picks, live trading has been a huge success and one of if not the best innovations in the AFL of the last decade.

5 minutes a pick I like. I just don't like the split. Make it one massive event.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Stephen Dank has been charged with several offences relating to his peptide injections in the Northern Territory, reports the NT News.

The disgraced sports scientist, who was at the helm of Essendon’s supplements program, has been charged with fraud, causing serious harm and recklessly endangering serious harm.

The offences relate to his employment at Darwin’s Ageless Health Clinic NT in 2017.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Stephen Dank has been charged with several offences relating to his peptide injections in the Northern Territory, reports the NT News.

The disgraced sports scientist, who was at the helm of Essendon’s supplements program, has been charged with fraud, causing serious harm and recklessly endangering serious harm.

The offences relate to his employment at Darwin’s Ageless Health Clinic NT in 2017.

Geez

yepits2020

Premiership Player
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If they can not afford the Aquatic Centre, then they should clean it up and return it to parklands. We don’t need monolithic eye sores in that part of the parklands. Especially as the land will be handed over to private enterprise and not retained by the government. Given its location and control, a much more serious problem then building structures on the east parklands for the motor sport. Parklands preservation society will be hypocrites of the highest order if they do not stop this development, in my view.

Who else but a clinic entitling itself "Ageless Health" would let such a bloke anywhere near a patient?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back