Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this mean that all the council run swimming centres in Adelaide are black holes for their council area rate payers as well?

One would assume that given the density of the Adelaide Council Area and the relative high cost of land/property in this area, council receipts from rate payers would be quite large compared to other areas. Does it cost the ACC ratepayers more or less on a proportional basis to keep the North Adelaide Aquatic Centre going than it does say the ratepayers of Marion for their Swimming Centre?
SA government own Marion and gave management rights to YMCA not the Marion Council.

North Adelaide Aquatic Centre is about 50 years old and needs large capital repairs of ageing infrastructure.

2017/18 Adelaide City Council annual report showed cash recurrent expenditure of approx $160m and depreciation of another $50m, about $800k of cash expenses, is to fund the short fall of the swimming centre expenses over revenues.

The majority of people who use it, don't live in North Adelaide or the ACC boundaries. Many North Adelaide residents have their own pools.

That's a big reason why Anne Moran types are backing the crows taking it over, when you would expect those types to be all against it. If the acquatic centre was only 10-20 years old, this proposal wouldn't get anywhere.

The aquatic centre was built years ago as a state type asset by the ACC, when it would make money and there weren't many Olympic standard pools to compete against it.

It loses money now, and very few of the ACC ratepayers use it, compared to suburban pools run by suburban councils where mainly local residents use those pools.

Moran and her coalition dont want ratepayers to have their rates increased to pay for an asset that isn't used that much by the local ratepayers. They could increase user chargers but that might scare people away.

That's the big difference between this and a local pool.

Cats getting busted for peps use in the 07-09 era is my ultimate erotic fantasy
Imagine that. 2007 premiership is handed to Port and the 119 point debacle is scrubbed from the history books.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
I think it'd be like the NRL stripped premierships where you wouldn't reallocate the flags to the losing GF team, but it would mean the record ceases to exist.

I think without undeniable evidence the AFL would prefer it was all swept under the rug.

I think it'd be like the NRL stripped premierships where you wouldn't reallocate the flags to the losing GF team, but it would mean the record ceases to exist.

I think without undeniable evidence the AFL would prefer it was all swept under the rug.

Yeah, there would be no way we'd end up with anything except a moral premiership.

But it won't happen either way.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Yeah, there would be no way we'd end up with anything except a moral premiership.

But it won't happen either way.
I would pick losing by 119 over winning due PED usage every time. That is a line I wouldn't cross.

A friend of mine gave up professional cycling because of this. I believe he made the right decision, even though it meant giving up his life-dream. I admire him a lot. It is not easy.

It Just Is

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2012
On cloud 9
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Can suck it!
I would pick losing by 119 over winning due PED usage every time. That is a line I wouldn't cross.

A friend of mine gave up professional cycling because of this. I believe he made the right decision, even though it meant giving up his life-dream. I admire him a lot. It is not easy.
Ethically, sure. But if losing by 20 goals in a grand final wasn’t bad enough take a look at the difference between our fate and Geelong’s from 07-19.

I’d considered being blindfolded by a bloke known as the Weapon and letting him feed me a horse utensil a day if it meant winning 3 flags, maybe a Brownlow, playing a shitload of finals, and walking into any plump AFL house or media or role I like, all ramification free. * Geelong.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ethically, sure. But if losing by 20 goals in a grand final wasn’t bad enough take a look at the difference between our fate and Geelong’s from 07-19.

I’d considered being blindfolded by a bloke known as the Weapon and letting him feed me a horse utensil a day if it meant winning 3 flags, maybe a Brownlow, playing a shitload of finals, and walking into any plump AFL house or media or role I like, all ramification free. fu** Geelong.
If I didn't know, it would be another matter. I would still feel ill, if I have discovered it later.

I would pick winning by 119 due to PEDs and not getting caught to losing any day of the week.

But I'd rather lose by 119 than win by 119 and get caught taking PEDs.

It's all good until you get caught.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I would pick winning by 119 due to PEDs and not getting caught to losing any day of the week.

But I'd rather lose by 119 than win by 119 and get caught taking PEDs.

It's all good until you get caught.
I don't need to get caught. I know. It is enough...

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Well-known Adelaide radio personality Kane Cornes is set to join the Nine Network’s Footy Classified show, replacing Chris Judd who walked out in October.

The SEN breakfast host and The Advertiser columnist will be part of Nine’s revamped program, which will air twice a week on Monday and Wednesday nights.
Former Fremantle and St Kilda coach Ross Lyon is also tipped to be “in the mix” as a regular guest, as the program moves to a rotating panel of hosts and commentators which will float in and out during the season.
Matthew Lloyd, Caroline Wilson and Craig Hutchison are expected to return to the four-person panel.

He has since gone on to several successful roles in the media, and is currently a weekly panellist on the Sunday Footy Show and Nine’s Monday night Footy SA program.

We used the term Eddie (McGuire) everywhere. Looks like it's Kane everywhere now LOL

We wouldn't get awarded the premiership. It would be left vacant with an asterisk in the column. Too much time has passed for a retrospective awarding.

That is what has happened in the NRL with the Melbourne Storm premierships stripped because of salary cap cheating.

Its what has happened to several Olympic gold medals in sprinting - Marion Jones' 100m and 200m, partly because of time and partly because 2nd place getters were dodgy.

The IOC has changed things because they have now implemented 8 and 10 year retesting of blood and urine samples so they are stripping titles a decade later.

The Tour de France official records are blank for the winner of 1999 to 2005 because Armstrong was stripped many years after he won. Landis in 2006 and Contador in 2010 were stripped of their title and have been replaced by Oscar Piero and Andy Schleck respectively as winners, because Landis was caught doping straight after he won and Contador within a few months.

We used the term Eddie (McGuire) everywhere. Looks like it's Kane everywhere now LOL
I didn't. I always call him Eddie the Exaggerator.

Last edited:

Harro59

Club Legend
May 14, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Well-known Adelaide radio personality Kane Cornes is set to join the Nine Network’s Footy Classified show, replacing Chris Judd who walked out in October.

The SEN breakfast host and The Advertiser columnist will be part of Nine’s revamped program, which will air twice a week on Monday and Wednesday nights.
Former Fremantle and St Kilda coach Ross Lyon is also tipped to be “in the mix” as a regular guest, as the program moves to a rotating panel of hosts and commentators which will float in and out during the season.
Matthew Lloyd, Caroline Wilson and Craig Hutchison are expected to return to the four-person panel.

He has since gone on to several successful roles in the media, and is currently a weekly panellist on the Sunday Footy Show and Nine’s Monday night Footy SA program.

This is great the melt down from the *******s at West Lakes will be massive.

All the Kane haters out there are furthering his career at the moment.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We wouldn't get awarded the premiership. It would be left vacant with an asterisk in the column. Too much time has passed for a retrospective awarding.

That is what has happened in the NRL with the Melbourne Storm premierships stripped because of salary cap cheating.

Its what has happened to several Olympic gold medals in sprinting - Marion Jones' 100m and 200m, partly because of time and partly because 2nd place getters were dodgy.

The IOC has changed things because they have now implemented 8 and 10 year retesting of blood and urine samples so they are stripping titles a decade later.

The Tour de France official records are blank for the winner of 1999 to 2005 because Armstrong was stripped many years after he won. Landis in 2006 and Contador in 2010 were stripped of their title and have been replaced by Oscar Piero and Andy Schleck respectively as winners, because Landis was caught doping straight after he won and Contador within a few months.
I think it is safe to say that Port weren't dodgy in 2007.

They weren't doing ANYTHING performance enhancing!

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

LFC2010

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 28, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Boston Celtics

Great, more love towards Hinkley in the media :rolleyes:
He'll never get sacked

Great, more love towards Hinkley in the media :rolleyes:
He'll never get sacked

They never talk about Port on that show, I'd be surprised if Ken Hinkley even comes up as a topic for discussion.

I once saw them review one of our games complete with footage and not mention 'Port', 'Power' or any of our players once. Was 100% purely a review of whichever Victorian team we were playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back