Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 13

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We also have to consider the talent pool is thinner because list sizes are bigger now. Also there is 2 extra teams.
The population has gone from 20mil to 25mil though, so we actually have more population per team.

And elite development pathways are so much better. Kids are being developed to a professional standard from a much younger age.

In 2019? Tony Lockett, because he wouldn't get uncontested kicks on the lead and he wouldn't get one on one contests, and he'd provide very little defensive pressure.

He's the greatest full forward of all time, but he's from a different era where you could be successful by being extremely good at a narrow set of skills.

If Lockett played in the 2010s, he'd have played 25kg lighter.

He wouldn't need an uncontested mark because every time the ball was near him and an opponent was in better position he'd put his elbow through you and he'd keep doing it until you you let him know that you won't take it again.

How many times are you gonna go back for more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People
I don't agree with this in the slightest it would only be running capacity/fitness.

Look at Brisbane 2003. The only player in that team that didn't go on to play 100 plus games was Richard Hadley. That Brisbane team could come back from their end of season Bali trip and wipe the floor with the current Gold Coast side. Their football ability and strength would destroy any fitness or tactical advantage GC have. They were a super team chock full of champions. Gold Coast are a bunch of kids and hasbeens/never was'.

I believe the physical intimidation factor is being significantly underestimated. Brisbane were a team known for that in their era, in this era it would monstrous.

They make the unsociable hawks look like choirboys.

GC would struggle and not just against Brisbane. There's be 3 or 4 other sides that would take them, obviously including us (though I worry about our 1kpf structure - the more things change!).

I believe the physical intimidation factor is being significantly underestimated. Brisbane were a team known for that in their era, in this era it would monstrous.

GC would struggle and not just against Brisbane. There's be 3 or 4 other sides that would take them, obviously including us (though I worry about our 1kpf structure - the more things change!).

If the game is as held under current rules they would be umpired out of the game.

Old day players Vs modern day players.
Old day players miss out every time because today’s players are fitter faster and the game is non stop gut running by very athletic players .

Now what happens if you can get the old player as fit and fast as today’s player.
Could someone like Ebert get as fit as today’s player?
I believe the answer to this is yes.
The old players with today’s fitness would murder today’s overpaid hacks because they had one big advantage and that was skill.

Skill to kick goals Skill to handball and the most important thing is Skill to kick a football.
Today’s players are athletic and fit but that’s about all they have going for them plus a very large bank balance.

would the older players be as skilled because more of their training would be fitness base?

If the game is as held under current rules they would be umpired out of the game.

Possibly. I'm banking that the risk is worth it and they'll turn it in their favour. Once that happens they can just worry about playing footy, and they were pretty good at that too.

Because talking up the physical aspect of their game kind of plays down what a skilful side they were. They'd still smash the GC without the biffo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the three most elite tall forwards in the game are Buddy, Cameron, and Walker?

Hugh Greenwood also rated as 'elite' after requesting a trade to the 18th placed team because he couldn't get a regular game at the 12th placed team

People

Look at Brisbane 2003. The only player in that team that didn't go on to play 100 plus games was Richard Hadley. That Brisbane team could come back from their end of season Bali trip and wipe the floor with the current Gold Coast side. Their football ability and strength would destroy any fitness or tactical advantage GC have. They were a super team chock full of champions. Gold Coast are a bunch of kids and hasbeens/never was'.

This is the crux of it. At some point, simply being a better footballer has to come into it - otherwise, you might as well be arguing that the Southport under 18s would beat 2003 Brisbane due to their use of modern tactics, etc.

Majak Daw?
Elite?
Really?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Putting aside the fact that Majak Daw is decidedly not elite, what I find particularly interesting about that is that Majak has retained his spot in this list, but somehow Alex Rance hasn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back