AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
102454155_959291637842289_4719062863707111424_o.jpg

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Anyone hear that lady ring up fiveaa pretending to be a true Port supporter and saying the black and white and the PRISON BARS belong to Collingwood.
Bloody hilarious.

Later to be revealed she was a Crows supporter lel.

And geez the Crows should really consider siphoning all that money they pay their thousands of media Crows ambassadors and tv shows elsewhere because in spite of their continual spin and control of the airwaves they still haven’t convinced the AFL world that the Crows are anything but shite. 🤣

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The grass has since moved on! The Port cheer squad have had regular pre-game barbecues on Pinky Flat in recent years. There's a potential business opportunity (with council approval): hire out portable barbecues/chairs/tables on Pinky Flat before the games.
Sssshhh you know the franchise will copy it ( but great idea)

Jojay

PISS BLASTERS "RS"
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

That's really surprising. You'd think Port would have one of the most supportive environments for indigenous lads. Especially given we have Pauly Vandenburg and the relevant programs etc.

Not saying Chad has a bit of a chip on his shoulder, and I could never walk in his shoes, but you'd think he couldn't have been at a better club than ours early in his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Speaking on The Advertiser’s Black Australia podcast, Wingard said he had spoken to former footballer Tony Armstong after he went public with a story of being racially profiled in Melbourne, with Wingard recounting a similar story from his days with Port Adelaide.

“I’m not at Port (Adelaide) now so I can say it — we used to have a choccy run, go to the shops the night before a game and get a couple of chocolates,” Wingard said.

“Me, Jakey Neade, Alipate Carlile and Jackson Trengove used to come with us, but this time it was just me and Jake in a supermarket in Perth.

“We got our chocolates and came to the front desk to pay for it and the guy (shop attendant) got really aggressive and said, ‘Empty your pockets, you guys are stealing’. Neadey was calm and I fired up … to the point there was this burning desire I could feel inside me.

“Just from that simple thing we were minding our own business paying for our food, we were literally made to open all our pockets and show him we were not stealing, we paid for our food and we left.”

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That's really surprising. You'd think Port would have one of the most supportive environments for indigenous lads. Especially given we have Pauly Vandenburg and the relevant programs etc.

Not saying Chad has a bit of a chip on his shoulder, and I could never walk in his shoes, but you'd think he couldn't have been at a better club than ours early in his career.
From that article the bit Port didn't do is get in the media and condemn strongly enough. Given how weakly we supported SPP over his hounding that doesn't surprise me. Whilst I think we offer great support for indigenous players with Paul V, 'softly softly, don't rock the boat' has been the clubs motto on all too many occasions when it shouldn't have been. This looks like another one.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah it’s pretty clear that the racism incidents were stuff outside of ports control. They can’t close a racist supermarket owner in Perth, not control other clubs fans when we play at their grounds or control afl websites Facebook etc.

but port has been far too demure in the media and it’s possible that could have applied to calling out the treatment of some of our players.

having said that It’s probably based on the fact that port has been treated differently in the media.

I can’t confidently say that if Koch publicly called out a port players treatment in melb that Koch wouldn’t receive the backlash.
the racist treatment of some of our players in the sanfl was widely known and reported and nothing was done about it.

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You have to take a look at it or you become a head in the sand organisation like the Crows

Gotta say though I had similar things happen to me in shops when I was a teen & in my early 20's, if i have a back pack on me even now 9 times out of 10 people ask to look before I leave... long hair-ism?

Chad's request to empty his pockets in unfortunate but not necessarily racist, the storekeeper may wrongly accuse many people whatever their background.
I reckon even you realised you were chatting s**t when you typed that.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
You have to take a look at it or you become a head in the sand organisation like the Crows

Gotta say though I had similar things happen to me in shops when I was a teen & in my early 20's, if i have a back pack on me even now 9 times out of 10 people ask to look before I leave... long hair-ism?
That's normal if you wear a bag. Emptying pockets though is pretty BS. I'm not even sure it's legal.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That's normal if you wear a bag. Emptying pockets though is pretty BS. I'm not even sure it's legal.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
It may be normal but they don't stop and check everyone.

You can refuse to empty pockets it happened to me in a Highbury Deli of all places.

Turiyasangitananda

Cancelled
May 10, 2006
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Chad's request to empty his pockets in unfortunate but not necessarily racist, the storekeeper may wrongly accuse many people whatever their background.
It would be interesting to get a group of people, white, black etc, and get them to recount these kinds of stories. I wonder where the balance would lie? And I think that's more the point. Maybe an isolated incident it may have been for some other reason, but maybe we shouldn't be blind to the bias either.

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It would be interesting to get a group of people, white, black etc, and get them to recount these kinds of stories. I wonder where the balance would lie? And I think that's more the point. Maybe an isolated incident it may have been for some other reason, but maybe we shouldn't be blind to the bias either.
Age groups I'd say teenagers in general cop the most attention

Turiyasangitananda

Cancelled
May 10, 2006
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Age groups I'd say teenagers in general cop the most attention
Age would be a factor, but we all grow out of being a teenager if we keep on living. Compare a 40 year white experience vs a 40 year old indigenous experience, I wonder what the difference would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back