Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
How did Robran get into legend status so early considering how difficult it is for our legends Ebert and Cahill to get in there?

Ebert and Cahill both have ridiculously good CV’s.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not in the VFL though. Like everything else the Hall of Fame is all about 'THE CENTRE OF THE SPORTING UNIVERSE!!!!!'. Look at the Brownlow, Coleman, Norm Smith etc. Everything is still badged from the VFL days. Grand final at the MCG until the Sun consumes the Earth, we can't wear our guernsey because our history isn't VFL history, etc.

Whilst the Victorians piss me off, I can at least respect they are fighting to keep all their goodies. It's the likes of Adelaide and unfortunately these days our own club, of non-Victorian sides not banding together to form a counter-block to push their own interests that infuriates me. Instead they let the Vics divide and conquer us/them over and over.

Our right to wear the Prison Bars is a perfect case where the non-Vic sides could show the AFL that they need to stop paying lip service to it being a national competition and start treating all clubs equally. The non-Vic sides should be strongly, publicly behind us wearing the PB's whenever we want against whoever we want. A line in the sand that we (non-Vic clubs) aren't going to accept the scraps left over after our money (license fees earlier and now ensuring TV viewers across the four states WA, NSW, QLD and SA that are worth more than Victoria alone) saved them and keeps them afloat now.

Instead we get 'hur de hur Port Power 1996' or 'You didn't let us hijack the state jumper!' from across the road and indifferent silence from the other non-Vic clubs. Whilst all non-Victorian clubs frustrate me, Adelaide do more than any other, because they honestly think they are seated at the table with the big boys and can't see they are laughed at when their back is turned. :mad:

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
How did Robran get into legend status so early considering how difficult it is for our legends Ebert and Cahill to get in there?

Ebert and Cahill both have ridiculously good CV’s.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yes, the Robran is confusing compared to other legends. What did he do that the others didn't?

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Robran is almost universally recognised as the best footballer SA has ever produced.
Is that accurate?

Statistically I think Ebert's got him. Then you have the goal kicking machines like Farmer and Evans...

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Is that accurate?

Statistically I think Ebert's got him. Then you have the goal kicking machines like Farmer and Evans...

Ebert, Blight & even my Dad (as one eyed Port as you'll ever get) would tell you Robran was the best.

Is that accurate?

tenor.gif

As much as I love Russell.

NoddyHolder

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2014
Tralfamadore
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
sanfl were probably told you get one legend - pick one. Robran was an easy pick for them. Discussion over.

Malcom Blight would have been nominated for his vfl playing record and vfl and afl coaching.

Nobody else from the old sanfl days will ever be made a legend, no matter how deserving.

The legend category is an old boys back slapping divisive bucket of s**t and should never have happened

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Robran is almost universally recognised as the best footballer SA has ever produced.

Okay, I’m probably looking at this from a stats point of view too much and thought that maybe ebert, Cahill and ken farmer had Robran covered. Quality v quantity debate, Robran maybe the better player but surely the other 3 weren’t too far behind.

Cahill was not only a great player he was an outstanding coach.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Okay, I’m probably looking at this from a stats point of view too much and thought that maybe ebert, Cahill and ken farmer had Robran covered. Quality v quantity debate, Robran maybe the better player but surely the other 3 weren’t too far behind.

I never saw Robran play so I can't give a view. But just about everyone that saw him play, even begrudging Port supporters say he was the best they'd ever saw. I'm talking people of my father's generation and even my Grandfathers generation.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Is that accurate?

I can recall comments by various football commentators in the 1970's ( from memory Kerley was one ), which suggested Robran was rated higher than Ebert overall because he always performed in finals, and Russell sometimes didn't.

Burton89onegoal

Team Captain
Jan 1, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Is that accurate?

Robran had a very serious knee injury....a lot of people say he was a very good chance of winning 5 or 6 Magareys if he had stayed fit.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It was pretty obvious when the Australian Football (as opposed to VFL/AFL) HOF launched in 1996; take it, Legend status and the Team of the Century (not one single player who did not play VFL, then cue "but who do you leave out hur hur") with a pinch of salt.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza

Cahill is only in the HoF for his coaching. None of our Champions of Australia players from the early 20th century are in, only Geof Motley as a player from our six-in-a-row team (Fos as a coach), only Russel Ebert from our late 70s-80s-90s dominant era.

Bob Quinn, Fos Williams, John Cahill and Russell Ebert should all be legends. I'll concede that Shine Hosking is probably a bit too obscure ;)

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
FWIW...

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
Bumped into this and it's worth a look. Some things that caught my eye

Port Cheer Squad complete with streamers and banner loud n proud Sth Australians

Jezalenko with a lazy 9:2 by 3/4 qtr time

Ebert Robran Carmen Blight all on show. Speaking of show wrinkles is centre stage, say what you will he could mark a ball (hello Chadbro)

and sport the hang dog look (Kane cnr anyone). Dustin Fletcher's old man playing Leigh Mathews as well. Len Thompson dominating the rucks for Vic.

Couldn't help noticing a trainer smoking on the outer side haha. For those old enough "comment" Wally May behind a mic and 36K at the game.

WA umpire gets lots of praise. Handled it all and bounced it very very well. Total absence of the theatrics we now see from so many whistle blowers.

Garibaldi Red

Cancelled
Bring Back the Bars
Jul 22, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Nottingham Forest
Bumped into this and it's worth a look. Some things that caught my eye

Port Cheer Squad complete with streamers and banner loud n proud Sth Australians

Jezalenko with a lazy 9:2 by 3/4 qtr time

Ebert Robran Carmen Blight all on show. Speaking of show wrinkles is centre stage, say what you will he could mark a ball (hello Chadbro)

and sport the hang dog look (Kane cnr anyone). Dustin Fletcher's old man playing Leigh Mathews as well. Len Thompson dominating the rucks for Vic.

Couldn't help noticing a trainer smoking on the outer side haha. For those old enough "comment" Wally May behind a mic and 36K at the game.

WA umpire gets lots of praise. Handled it all and bounced it very very well. Total absence of the theatrics we now see from so many whistle blowers.

Was at that game. Southern end behind the goals. It was packed. How did Dean Farnham get a game for SA?

NoddyHolder

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2014
Tralfamadore
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I remember being impressed with WA umpires in the 1980s during state of origin games. Fair, consistent no bullshit. I liked how they bounced the ball straight away at ball ups, not wait for everyone to run in and get set. Victorian umpires were peacocking even back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back