Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 14

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Queensland are hosting all the games and happy to take the risk of hosting the clubs, they deserve the GF. Much more deserved than the BS 37 year or whatever MCG deal
They get the massive $$$ from the AFL and their teams are playing multiple home games:so they are already being well rewarded.
They aren’t being altruistic for the good of the AFL.
If we finish top there should be a GF at AO

Victorian AFL teams will be based in Queensland for up to 10 weeks as part of a bid to get most of the 2020 season completed amid the coronavirus pandemic.

I’ll put my house in it there won’t be a big run of home games, we will be flying up and back more.
I find your lack of faith in the integrity and fairness of the AFL disturbing.

Has any club ever shirked responsibility for its own actions more than this club. Just ******* accept it and move on you campaigners.

Also having another cry today about the media pile-on of poor Conor McKenna - as if it wouldn't have been exactly the same for any other player that had returned a positive test and gone to multiple home inspections and visiting people outside the bubble. And rightly so too - sure, he subsequently tested negative, but he did receive a (v.soft) penalty, so HE DONE THE WRONG THING!!

When it was announced Pyke was leaving as Adelaide's coach, I thought he has been boned, he will get a payout, they will hide it, but he will be made accountable for the fall out post 2017 GF, the camp, failing to make finals etc.

Maybe I was wrong. maybe he did walk and wasn't pushed. He saw the writing on the wall, did take some responsibility for the camp fall out, saw the players walk out of the club, and saw the place would be crappy to be around for the next 2 or 3 years - on and off the field.

I’ll put my house in it there won’t be a big run of home games, we will be flying up and back more.

You could be right but I think they will play quite a lot down here as the ovals up there won't be able to handle the foot traffic of so many games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ridiculous
For any minute sense of fairness those clubs should be on planes to AO for games against each other

Look where those 4 clubs have played and will play this weekend over the first 7 games.

There isn't that much flexibility for the Qld and WA clubs. The AFL is not going to make WCE or Brisbane fly to AO to play Essendon for example. might make WA teams fly to Qld to play Vic "home game" teams.

Brisbane has played Freo, WCE, crows and Port at the Gabba, played Haw at MCG, Gee@SCG and GWS@Giants
Gold Coast has played Port, WCE, Freo and crows at Cararra, Gee@KP, Melb@Giants Syd@SCG

West Coast has played GC, Bris, Port, Syd and crows in Qld, played Melb Perth Stadium and will play Freo there
Fremantle has played Bris, Port, GC, Adel, StK in Qld, played Essendon at Docklands and will play WCE in Perth.

So Qld and WA teams can't travel to SA to play Port and the crows and have played each other in Qld.

So for a bit more balance AFL can't have NSW close down to travelling teams.

If the Marshall government had allowed a hub, things would be different but no Vic team will leave the warmth of Qld to the cold of SA for 3 weeks in late July/August.

Look where those 4 clubs have played and will play this weekend over the first 7 games.

There isn't that much flexibility for the Qld and WA clubs. The AFL is not going to make WCE or Brisbane fly to AO to play Essendon for example. might make WA teams fly to Qld to play Vic "home game" teams.

Brisbane has played Freo, WCE, crows and Port at the Gabba, played Haw at MCG, Gee@SCG and GWS@Giants
Gold Coast has played Port, WCE, Freo and crows at Cararra, Gee@KP, Melb@Giants Syd@SCG

West Coast has played GC, Bris, Port, Syd and crows in Qld, played Melb Perth Stadium and will play Freo there
Fremantle has played Bris, Port, GC, Adel, StK in Qld, played Essendon at Docklands and will play WCE in Perth.

So Qld and WA teams can't travel to SA to play Port and the crows and have played each other in Qld.

So for a bit more balance AFL can't have NSW close down to

If the Marshall government had allowed a hub, things would be different but no Vic team will leave the warmth of Qld to the cold of SA for 3 weeks in late July/August.
But aren’t the sSaints allowed to stay here for a few days in a hotel between the Crows and Port games so why isn’t a hub permitted?

So for a bit more balance AFL can't have NSW close down to travelling teams.

The draw has been pretty fair so far except for the Cows. They have had to play Port, West Coast and Brisbane when it would have been fairer for them to play Sturt, Norwood and Glenelg because that’s their standard.

Brisbane had won all their 12 finals at the Gabba before 2019. The warmth and humidity in September is a big advantage. I have lived in SE Qld and seen Port play 2001 and 2002 finals there and its a huge advantage against teams from cold winters in Victoria and SA.

Those 12 wins have been twice against both SA teams and 8 wins against 5 Vic sides. The weather difference isn't as big an advantage against the NSW and WA sides.

Richmond and GWS beat them there last years finals but it wasn't easy.

If Vic teams are spending 10-12 weeks in SE Qld, the Qld teams will lose that weather advantage they have over Vic come finals time as they have acclimatize to the warmth and humidity. They will still have an advantage but not as big as before.

But aren’t the sSaints allowed to stay here for a few days in a hotel between the Crows and Port games so why isn’t a hub permitted?
So what. Why would they stay in the cold of SA and not the warmth of Qld?

The SA government hasn't lifted a finger to help out the AFL compared to the Qld government, with quarantining and hotel deals etc.

So What?
So why if SA govt are allowing them to stay in a hotel why not a hub?
Ok my last answer used the wrong tense. Qld has worked with the AFL for weeks now whereas the SA government didn't and ignored the AFL's proposals.

Yes now the teams who have spent 2 or 3 weeks in Qld could move from there to stay in SA for 3 weeks and not have to quarantine for 14 days, but its too late. The SA government didn't allow the Vic teams to come here earlier, and now hotel and other facilities deals have been done and Vic teams see the benefit of quarantining in a warmer climate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back