Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 15

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a fantastic opportunity over the next 5 or so years to stamp ourselves as the superior club in SA. Repeatedly smash them in Showdowns and reestablish our dominance in the head to head, win a premiership or multiple premierships to eliminate that tenuous sense of superiority they have over us, bring big crowds back to Adelaide Oval that go close to matching their crowds on a weekly basis.

Now, we've seemingly had this opportunity before us a couple of times and squandered it - time to really put the foot on the throat and create a dominance that will last generations.

I'd be disappointed if we couldn't beat their crowd numbers when they are s**t.

This is the first time that Adelaide has been in a parlous state since we entered the AFL. In bold are the times when we have been ascendant (making finals) while they have been descendant (missing finals):

1997 - win the flag
1998 - win the flag
1999 - Port make finals and get smashed, Adelaide don't make finals, but who cares, they went back to back
2000 - we are s**t as well
2001 - make finals, Port shits the bed and loses home prelim rights
2002 - top four, Port shits the bed again
2003 - make finals, Port shits the bed AGAIN
2004 - don't make finals, Port wins the flag
2005 - dominant throughout the season, smash Port in a semi-final, reach a prelim
2006 - dominant again, get a home prelim. Port doesn't even make the finals
2007 - make finals, Port shits the bed in the grand final in the worst possible way
2008 - make finals, Port doesn't
2009 - make finals, Port doesn't
2010 - don't make finals, but it's okay, neither does Port
2011 - don't make finals, are on the way down, but at least they aren't finishing second bottom to only Gold Coast
2012 - finish top four, Port finishes down the bottom of the ladder
2013 - Port makes finals, Adelaide doesn't...this is the only time when Port has ever started to build momentum
2014 - Port makes a prelim, Adelaide doesn't make finals - momentum is building...

2015 - ...and it's gone. Adelaide makes finals and wins one, Port finishes 9th
2016 - Adelaide makes finals, Port has to suck lemons due to the Ryder and Monfries suspensions/injuries and finishes 10th
2017 - Adelaide makes a GF, Port gets eliminated in overtime
2018 - we finish higher than Adelaide, but neither club makes finals. See 2010.
2019 - they don't make finals. We don't either.

So really, they've had a ******* charmed run. In 23 years of us being in the competition, they've made finals 15 times to our 10, and have always managed to time it so that they are s**t when we are, which gives their shittruck supporters reason to smile.

We made exactly the right call when we hit reset at the end of 2017 and decided to supercharge our rebuild. That year was bizarro 1997 - instead of Adelaide winning the flag, they lose it.

... we hit reset at the end of 2017... to supercharge our rebuild.

---
Ins:

Tom Rockliff
- joined Port Adelaide from Brisbane as a restricted free agent
Steven Motlop - joined Port Adelaide from Geelong as a restricted free agent
Jack Watts - joined Port Adelaide from Melbourne in exchange for pick 31

Our 2017 NAB National Draft picks:
46, 49, 59, 62, 63, 86 and 95

Outs:

Jackson Trengove
- joined Western Bulldogs as a restricted free agent
Jarman Impey - and pick 68 went to Hawthorn in exchange for pick 34 and their future fourth round selection
Brendon Ah Chee - and a future fourth round selection (received from Hawthorn in the Impey trade) went to West Coast in exchange for their future third round selection
Aaron Young - joined Gold Coast in exchange for the future fourth round selection the Suns received as part of the trade for Harrison Wigg from Adelaide
Logan Austin - and Port Adelaide's future fourth round selection went to St Kilda in exchange for their future third round selection
Matthew Lobbe - joined Carlton in exchange for pick 95

Last edited:
Hes a plodder. He's James Sellar II. Got by on being bigger than everyone as a junior but has been found out. We'll see how he goes as the main target once Tex retires but at this point he's an absolute bust. Adelaide fans just don't want to admit it yet.
Macca always fiercest in condemnation of lazy big boys. The Mitch Harvey flashbacks are strong.

---

I've been through this countless times before.

None of those players cost us anything of value list management wise. We had salary cap space that was going to disappear if we didn't use it, and we had traded out our 2017 first to get Marshall, Powell-Pepper, Drew and Atley in 2016...and we still ended up with Hayes, Farrell, Patmore and Garner.

In fact, the only player we actually targeted from a long way out was Motlop. Rockliff came about because we were expecting a 10% increase in the salary cap and it was 20%, and Watts fell into our laps because Goodwin wanted him gone, and we wanted Lobbe gone.

At the very worst, all three are solid depth that we acquired for Pick 31. At their best, they are all best 22 players that can teach the younger players what is required to play AFL football. That's a good deal in anyone's language.

It was a free hit.

Depends what you consider material, are those dresses you maxed out three credit cards of value now? Now you're 40k in debt and nothing to show but some nice clothes and some really good night's out?

How's that car loan treating you now the cars worth half what you paid and you can't repay it ending with you with no car and 30k to pay.

Let's ban everything anyone could make stupid financial decisions with

Again, yes!

Ban exploitative financial practises.

I
I'd be disappointed if we couldn't beat their crowd numbers when they are sh*t.

This is the first time that Adelaide has been in a parlous state since we entered the AFL. In bold are the times when we have been ascendant (making finals) while they have been descendant (missing finals):

1997 - win the flag
1998 - win the flag
1999 - Port make finals and get smashed, Adelaide don't make finals, but who cares, they went back to back
2000 - we are sh*t as well
2001 - make finals, Port shits the bed and loses home prelim rights
2002 - top four, Port shits the bed again
2003 - make finals, Port shits the bed AGAIN
2004 - don't make finals, Port wins the flag
2005 - dominant throughout the season, smash Port in a semi-final, reach a prelim
2006 - dominant again, get a home prelim. Port doesn't even make the finals
2007 - make finals, Port shits the bed in the grand final in the worst possible way
2008 - make finals, Port doesn't
2009 - make finals, Port doesn't
2010 - don't make finals, but it's okay, neither does Port
2011 - don't make finals, are on the way down, but at least they aren't finishing second bottom to only Gold Coast
2012 - finish top four, Port finishes down the bottom of the ladder
2013 - Port makes finals, Adelaide doesn't...this is the only time when Port has ever started to build momentum
2014 - Port makes a prelim, Adelaide doesn't make finals - momentum is building...

2015 - ...and it's gone. Adelaide makes finals and wins one, Port finishes 9th
2016 - Adelaide makes finals, Port has to suck lemons due to the Ryder and Monfries suspensions/injuries and finishes 10th
2017 - Adelaide makes a GF, Port gets eliminated in overtime
2018 - we finish higher than Adelaide, but neither club makes finals. See 2010.
2019 - they don't make finals. We don't either.

So really, they've had a ******* charmed run. In 23 years of us being in the competition, they've made finals 15 times to our 10, and have always managed to time it so that they are sh*t when we are, which gives their shittruck supporters reason to smile.

We made exactly the right call when we hit reset at the end of 2017 and decided to supercharge our rebuild. That year was bizarro 1997 - instead of Adelaide winning the flag, they lose it.
I agree our cllub has played their list managememt cards very well and well timed and Ken has played the youth..
I had an underlying faith that the club weren’t getting rid of good players just to annoy us lol ( even though the Dougal one perplexed me)
I am curious how Crows react this time.
Remember how our ascendancy in 2014 really got under their skin and set them on fire, Roo came on board with the Roovolution, they sacked yet another coach and they poached Walsh to undermine us.
They refuse to play second fiddle in this state,

Also siubaru hasn’t been seen on BF with her spite and gloating since June which is weird, unless she is trolling under a new name or has given up altogether on her precious boys.
I guess when you only exist to throw s**t at our club there really is no point in hanging around at the moment.

This has been photoshopped, right? They aren't getting close to finals in the next 3-4 years, so they aren't winning a premiership for 6 years at least.

Sloane 30
Lynch 29
Smith is 28
Talia 28
Seedsman 28
Brown 27
Atkins 26

I don't think they realise just how f’ed their list actually is.

The issue isn’t their age profile, it’s that the youngsters are spuds and the ones that were meant to develop (eg Fog) haven’t for whatever reason.

The 2018 draft is going to be their version of Butcher, Pittard, Moore...maybe worse.

I

I agree our cllub has played their list managememt cards very well and well timed and Ken has played the youth..
I had an underlying faith that the club weren’t getting rid of good players just to annoy us lol ( even though the Dougal one perplexed me)
I am curious how Crows react this time.
Remember how our ascendancy in 2014 really got under their skin and set them on fire, Roo came on board with the Roovolution, they sacked yet another coach and they poached Walsh to undermine us.
They refuse to play second fiddle in this state,

Also subaru hasn’t been seen on BF with her spite and gloating since June which is weird, unless she is trolling under a new name or has given up altogether on her precious boys.
I guess when you only exist to throw sh*t at our club there really is no point in hanging around at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steven Rowe on AA this morning

"Rory Lairds game last night was better than any game played by Lachie Neale this year"
I think it's called clutching at straws - Rowey is trying to grasp hold of anything that will give Crows fans the tiniest glimmer of hope, because they don't have much to be positive about.

The time for us to start doing what Collingwood did last night, rest players, must be coming. Hate to see us hit finals with players cooked and get bundled out.
We've been doing the 'in game' resting, it's going to happen though, thankfully we have back ups and the fixture for it from here!

My only issue is resting Boak, imagine it costing him a Brownlow....and he's the fittest we've got.

Last edited:
We've been doing the 'in game' resting, it's going to happen though, thankfully we have back ups and the fixture for it from here!

My only issue is resting Boak, imagine it costing him a Brownlow....and he's the fittest we've got.

To be honest, as much as I want Boak to win the Brownlow, I don't think he is getting close to Neale this year.

I wont ever stop laying the boot in until they either fold or relocate.
Perhaps this should be in the Coronavirus thread but with the crows having such a “brilliant” 2020 and if 2021 is going too be no better than this year I can see teams like the crows folding, never mind being relocated. It would be such a South Australian thing for a “plastic franchise” getting serious leg ups during their time and then folding 30 years later. It will be so delightful, whilst over here at Alberton the Port fans would never let our team fold. Be aware Port fans that we may pay our memberships in 2021 and still see limited live football. Are you prepared to do this?
.edit. Perhaps include 2022....... as well

Last edited:
Perhaps this should be in the Coronavirus thread but with the crows having such a “brilliant” 2020 and if 2021 is going too be no better than this year I can see teams like the crows folding, never mind being relocated. It would be such a South Australian thing for a “plastic franchise” getting serious leg ups during their time and then folding 30 years later. It will be so delightful, whilst over here at Alberton the Port fans would never let our team fold. Be aware Port fans that we may pay our memberships in 2021 and still see limited live football. Are you prepared to do this?
.edit. Perhaps include 2022....... as well

I'll keep paying. But my employment situation hasn't been affected like it has been for many others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back