Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMeaner

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sorry, but as a female who has been sexually assaulted twice in my life time I do not hold this view. It is very easy as a male to hold such a view. I was 18 the first time and 24 the second time, neither time did I ask for what occurred. Imagine going to bed on your own and hours later waking up to find someone in your bed with something occurring that you did not consent to. Thankfully I have have moved on with my life, but it is something I will never forget Ben though it was 15 years ago. It is something that I hope that my daughters never have to go through.

Thanks for sharing your perspective. I'm sorry that you had to go through those experiences. They are too common and there are systemic reasons sexual offences are underreported. The whole criminal justice system can be retraumatising for victims. I found that from my own experience when the person who shot me was tried for attempted murder. Being cross-examined on tiny elements of my evidence, things that I hadn't noticed because they were insignificant at the time, was infuriating. And this was for something the accused had admitted to doing in his police interview. He recanted and was acquitted. All of the things I experienced would be magnified where there charge is a sexual offence because you get the interrogation of whether the act was consensual or not.

I'm glad to hear you have moved on too.

Collingwood must have a pro dickhead policy as they have had quite a few over the years.

Comes with playing for a club that owns the footy media.
Zero accountability.

has boak 2 votes behind. and Boak does poll well normally so could be right there for it!
interesting they have ollie wines up there and our 2nd highest getter

Have the AFLCA votes for round 17 been released yet? IIRC, Boak was 16 behind Neale before last game, so if he received 6 or more, he is still a chance there, too.

I can hear Gil on Brownlow night:

" 1 vote... Port Adelaide
T.

Jonas.

2 votes...Port Adelaide
T.

McKenzie

3 votes...Port Adelaide
T.

Rockliff."

In fairness they're not wrong, Sholl absolutely should have won it. But spending time whinging about players not receiving individual awards while the team languishes on the bottom of the ladder is just so Crows. For all of Hinkley's faults, he would never put up with that individualistic bullshit from the PAFC playing group.

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
In fairness they're not wrong, Sholl absolutely should have won it. But spending time whinging about players not receiving individual awards while the team languishes on the bottom of the ladder is just so Crows. For all of Hinkley's faults, he would never put up with that individualistic bullshit from the PAFC playing group.

It's a Rising Star nomination FFS, not the whole award. He could play a good game this week and still get nominated but it's not like he'll come close to winning the award anyway. All this whinging does is make the young guy who did get the nomination this week feel like s**t.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Tibbs wrote(Note: To be charged, there has to be sufficient evidence of a crime!)

While I do concur with the sentiments here this is actually incorrect. Police can charge based on a victims statement, or if they think a crime has been committed. Plenty of examples of not enough groundwork being done prior to a charge being laid. Then the accused and his or her families go through absolute hell for 1 to 2 years waiting for their day in court to prove their innocence. Lots of false victim statements get made. It works both ways. It's not all NCIS tv out there.
Thats true, but they are not going to arrest and charge someone based merely on an airy-fairy accusation. They will investigate first, and the investigating officers normally make the call based on what evidence is presented, be it bruises, medical report, other witnesses etc. Yes it might end up being a false charge, or thrown out, but as Tom Harley stated in his press statement, standing down the player "is best for ALL parties." It respects the victim, it removes the player from the limelight, it shows that the club is acting responsibly, but at the same time support is given to the accused party as the matter is dealt with.

The boy (as did De Goey) got himself in the mess. He needs to stand aside until its sorted out. If the charge is shown to be not valid, he returns next year and can show what he is made of.

Now is when they even it up for those who weren't spectacular on any given weekend, but should be in the running because of their whole season.

The way the award runs is daft. You could be the second best youngster EVERY SINGLE week and all the others only have one good game all year and still not be eligible.

_VXV

Jesus Horne-Francis
Oct 12, 2014
etHELLton
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Issac’s comeback from that nasty injury & his good form means more to me than 1 good game. Sholl will get another chance unless the last game is an outlier.

mynameissilver

All Australian
Aug 10, 2017
Queensland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Thats true, but they are not going to arrest and charge someone based merely on an airy-fairy accusation. They will investigate first, and the investigating officers normally make the call based on what evidence is presented, be it bruises, medical report, other witnesses etc. Yes it might end up being a false charge, or thrown out, but as Tom Harley stated in his press statement, standing down the player "is best for ALL parties." It respects the victim, it removes the player from the limelight, it shows that the club is acting responsibly, but at the same time support is given to the accused party as the matter is dealt with.

The boy (as did De Goey) got himself in the mess. He needs to stand aside until its sorted out. If the charge is shown to be not valid, he returns next year and can show what he is made of.
Yes I agree with you

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
Jan 20, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Now is when they even it up for those who weren't spectacular on any given weekend, but should be in the running because of their whole season.

The way the award runs is daft. You could be the second best youngster EVERY SINGLE week and all the others only have one good game all year and still not be eligible.

Like Zac butters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back