Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 16

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but when first began watching NFL in the 80s there were a lot of steelers games on!
Yeah, the 80s were lean times for the Packers. They didn't have much of a profile then. The glory days of the Lombardi era were in the distant past and Brett Favre was yet to appear on the scene for them.

I started following the NFL in the 70s and well remember the great rivalry the Steelers had with the Raiders in the AFC and of course with the Cowboys in two epic Super Bowls. The other team that was always good at that time was the Vikings but they could never win the big one.

I adopted the San Francisco 49ers as my team around 1978, mainly because my teacher at school gave me a 49ers pennant that he'd got on a trip to the US. He gave it to me as a gift for being a good student. The 49ers were terrible at the time, but the timing was fortunate as they were about to become very good, with the appointment of Bill Walsh as their coach and the drafting of Joe Montana as their quarterback.

Anyway, I was well and truly hooked and I made my first trip to the US in 1985 and went to three of their games at Candlestick Park. A few years later, I went to Super Bowl XXIV in New Orleans, where they thrashed the Broncos to win their fourth title of the 80s, matching what the Steelers had achieved in the 70s.

Before watching the Collingwood game on the weekend I didn't even know there was an American in the league. Was reading about him after the match, quite an interesting story, incredible that he had never even played aussie rules just a couple of years before making his AFL debut. Are there any other foreigners other than Irish players that made the switch from gaelic football and this American?

Before watching the Collingwood game on the weekend I didn't even know there was an American in the league. Was reading about him after the match, quite an interesting story, incredible that he had never even played aussie rules just a couple of years before making his AFL debut. Are there any other foreigners other than Irish players that made the switch from gaelic football and this American?
Not really foreign but Karmichael Hunt came to Gold Coast and Israel Folau came to GWS in each team’s first season from rugby, not sure which code but I believe they both played league and union. They didn’t last very long as the required physique is obviously very different. As for other foreign AFL players not from Ireland I’m not sure there really have been any to play at the top level.

If it's private ownership that concerns you, then the Green Bay Packers should be your team.
The Packers are privately own; by a bunch of people, but it is still a private company.

It's clear for all to see that the SANFL doesn't need the Magpies......

There is a bit of noise I’ve heard from a few media people they don’t want Port or Crows back in SANFL so it actually wouldn’t surprise me if they don’t come back... perhaps there is something in that along with PB jumper in AFL?

There is a bit of noise I’ve heard from a few media people they don’t want Port or Crows back in SANFL so it actually wouldn’t surprise me if they don’t come back... perhaps there is something in that along with PB jumper in AFL?
KG is definitely one of them. He said on 5DoubleCrow recently that he's never enjoyed the SANFL as much as he has in 2020, and he hopes the current format continues next year.

KG is definitely one of them. He said on 5DoubleCrow recently that he's never enjoyed the SANFL as much as he has in 2020, and he hopes the current format continues next year.

I think there would be a bit going on in the background to keep it this way. It is a more ‘pure’ competition now.
Maybe the SANFL won’t need the AFL clubs money then right??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there would be a bit going on in the background to keep it this way. It is a more ‘pure’ competition now.
Maybe the SANFL won’t need the AFL clubs money then right??
They certainly won't be getting my money - SANFL is dead to me in this format.

I understand that Port have a contract to play in the SANFL until, I think, 2027. This was curtailed by the AFL this year.

These people have no idea. Where do they think the money is coming from? Port and the Crows should keep funding their league out of their goodness of their hearts??

Sanfl should focus on being a stand alone league - have senior teams only and allow the afl to move into junior development. Our development of talent has fallen so far below Victoria and WA the last 20 years it's not funny.
Sanfl clubs can then get off our tit and raise their own money to throw at delisted afl players every year

It's absolutely crap that we don't have the Prison Bars at AFL level and that these SANFL trolls are constantly trying to get us kicked out of the SANFL every year.

Can this planet just let me enjoy us wearing the Prison Bars ffs?

I thought it was East Fremantle that beat the Maggies a day or so after we had knocked Richmond out of that end of season comp in Perth. :cool:
According to the full points footy website and wikipedia, it was Claremont who beat us and then lost to Hawthorn in the final. That is consistent with my memory of the events.

It's absolutely crap that we don't have the Prison Bars at AFL level and that these SANFL trolls are constantly trying to get us kicked out of the SANFL every year.

Can this planet just let me enjoy us wearing the Prison Bars ffs?

Maybe it will help the cause at AFL level... then again VFL and Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back