Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
10-12 wins is too much for Adelaide (unless they have a great injury run and hit sides in the middle of s**t ones. They've had that Midas run before). 6 - 8 is likely. They'll score a couple of wins away out of Sydney, North, Hawks, Essendon and Melbourne (North and one other, whichever is having a s**t day at the wrong time). They still have Suns, Dockers, North, Melbourne, Hawks at home. With crowds back the AFL won't want 30k or less at Adelaide games so they'll ensure they get even more than their usual Home ground umpiring run against these poor sides.

I'm ok with them given every advantage to get to get out of the bottom 2. It ensures no chance of a priority pick. I'd be happy for them to get to 10 wins and get in that 9 - 12 zone. A year of average picks and they'd be likely to hold onto Senior players another year so they don't plummet straight back down. Where as bottom 4 and they'll be more willing to cut the past it players we want to see stay on there forever, plus get good players in (some who may even stay beyond two years :oops: ).

North's starting midfield is reasonably strong. Their wings, defenders (outside of Tarrant) and forwards are an absolute dumpster fire though.

Hawthorn with a bad injury run might challenge Adelaide for the spoon though.

So far Sicily, Gunston, Mitchell, Wingard all either ruled out of or in doubt for Round 1. You could genuinely make an argument that those are their four best players.

AFL fixture boss Travis Auld admits the league may have to scrap its current fixture after round one if the West Australian government holds firm on its current border restrictions.

The state’s current rules mean border restrictions will remain in place until there are 28 days without community transition in Victoria. Two cases on Friday, from close contacts already in quarantine, have reset the counter to zero days.

As it sits, WA sides would have to quarantine for 14 days upon returning home from Victoria. That means with Fremantle facing Melbourne at the MCG in Round 1, their Round 2 match against GWS in Perth would be unplayable.

AFL fixture boss Travis Auld admits the league may have to scrap its current fixture after round one if the West Australian government holds firm on its current border restrictions.

The state’s current rules mean border restrictions will remain in place until there are 28 days without community transition in Victoria. Two cases on Friday, from close contacts already in quarantine, have reset the counter to zero days.

As it sits, WA sides would have to quarantine for 14 days upon returning home from Victoria. That means with Fremantle facing Melbourne at the MCG in Round 1, their Round 2 match against GWS in Perth would be unplayable.

I know the Libs in WA have already given up on the 13th March election, but maybe they can run a McGowan will cost the Eagles the flag type marketing line, if they reckon they will end up with less than a handful of seats in the 59 seat lower house.

Macca has Crows down for 10-12 wins and Port 14 wins (3 more possibles). A fair bit of overrating the crows and talking down our chances going on there.

Let's not forget that the crows finished bottom last year and we were minor premiers. I can't see how they've closed the gap on us that considerably in one off season.

With Geelong, Sydney, Gold Coast, North, Hawthorn and Freo in the first 6 they could very easily be 5-1 at that point. Very easily.

Then they would love their chances against:
Melbourne home
Collingwood home
Carlton away
Hawthorn home
North home

Thats 10 games they should consider winnable with a fitter squad and better quality youth. And its not including GWS at home who they beat last year and a showdown potentially. Its not pie in the sky stuff to say 12 wins is doable

Did Sydney's $6.1M operations loss play a role in them sending us Aliir
More like Buddy's $1.5mil less the 2021 CBA covid adjustment, is why he was traded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10-12 wins is too much for Adelaide (unless they have a great injury run and hit sides in the middle of sh*t ones. They've had that Midas run before). 6 - 8 is likely. They'll score a couple of wins away out of Sydney, North, Hawks, Essendon and Melbourne (North and one other, whichever is having a sh*t day at the wrong time). They still have Suns, Dockers, North, Melbourne, Hawks at home. With crowds back the AFL won't want 30k or less at Adelaide games so they'll ensure they get even more than their usual Home ground umpiring run against these poor sides.

I'm ok with them given every advantage to get to get out of the bottom 2. It ensures no chance of a priority pick. I'd be happy for them to get to 10 wins and get in that 9 - 12 zone. A year of average picks and they'd be likely to hold onto Senior players another year so they don't plummet straight back down. Where as bottom 4 and they'll be more willing to cut the past it players we want to see stay on there forever, plus get good players in (some who may even stay beyond two years :oops: ).
As long as we flog them in both Showdowns, I'll be happy - I don't even want either game to be competitive!!!

Wow! Nobody could have predicted this!

Just chuck both WA teams out of the comp for the season. I wouldn’t even bother with hubs. Too bad too sad, that you have a w***er for a premier!

Last edited:
With Geelong, Sydney, Gold Coast, North, Hawthorn and Freo in the first 6 they could very easily be 5-1 at that point. Very easily.

Then they would love their chances against:
Melbourne home
Collingwood home
Carlton away
Hawthorn home
North home

Thats 10 games they should consider winnable with a fitter squad and better quality youth. And its not including GWS at home who they beat last year and a showdown potentially. Its not pie in the sky stuff to say 12 wins is doable

I have them winning 5 games.

But you'd be celebrating what they DIDN'T do (win)...
Yeah. I don't give a *. I only care if we win and beat the rest.

Caring what the crows do or don't achieve makes you the same as every other SANFL supporter. Why care so hard? I hate all teams and don't give a rat's what they do.

I care what we do and achieve, it's all that matters and that's where we, as supporters, have shifter focus since entering the AFL.

Hate them but don't make them your focus, our club is our focus and that's it.

But surely the 783rd variation on 'We're going to turn the Power off!', will be so good, even us Port fans will be rolling around the aisles at the hilarity of it!

Banners could be good, if they didn't have to be so sanitised. I don't mean they need to swear, but they should be full of mocking the opposition. Take Round 1, we should be able to (and not be afraid to) have a banner 'We'll smash North so hard, they'll relocate to Tasmania'.
With our record against North I'd prefer not to provoke them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back