Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never understood why they canned it.
It wouldn't be inconsistent with Free Agency. Players would still have the same options there. It'd just give the existing club the ability to put together a more attractive offer to keep players.

Given Free Agency has largely become a funnel from smaller clubs or non-Victorian clubs (outside Port) to big Victorian clubs (something that was always likely), given who controls the A(V)FL removing anything stopping that wasn't going to remain.

draft tampering by the player! bet the VFL boys club will of course turn a blind eye to it all.

Is it though? I don't think they are legally bound not to tell a club they don't want to go there, in most instances it would be in the clubs best interest to know how the player is feeling. It's not draft tempering, but it's pretty shitty.

Having said that, if you nominate for the draft you need to be prepared to play your football anywhere across Australia.

Going with a dour defensive game style, when that never wins premierships.
The first choice of almost every new coach taking over a s**t side. Know you aren't good enough to win lots of games, so turn everything into a congested bore fest. Hope you get to mid-table, then spin the line 'now we aren't conceding so much, we'll start attacking!' to get the next contract. Of course, for most they then try and switch some players to being attacking and suddenly the no longer overloaded defense doesn't look so good.

Take over a s**t side and yes, you generally need to improve the defending, but unless you're improving attacking as well it's a false dawn, ready for the next coach to spin their lines. Whilst Brisbane have had some unjustified arrogance lately, I admire Fagan for backing attacking from the start of his reign, whilst the Lions were s**t, rather than going the more traditional route above. Given how rapidly they've gone up the ladder hopefully more new coaches follow a similar path. It'll certainly make for more entertaining games, then one's you put on, because you're having trouble getting to sleep.

Take over a sh*t side and yes, you generally need to improve the defending, but unless you're improving attacking as well it's a false dawn, ready for the next coach to spin their lines. Whilst Brisbane have had some unjustified arrogance lately, I admire Fagan for backing attacking from the start of his reign, whilst the Lions were sh*t, rather than going the more traditional route above. Given how rapidly they've gone up the ladder hopefully more new coaches follow a similar path. It'll certainly make for more entertaining games, then one's you put on, because you're having trouble getting to sleep.
I remember saying the same thing about Fagan even from his first year. The Lions were still a bottom 4 side, but you could tell that they had progressed more in one year under Fagan than perennial cellar dwellers like Carlton have progressed in five, because Fagan had them playing the right way. We've seen the rewards of that early approach over the last couple of years.

It wouldn't be inconsistent with Free Agency. Players would still have the same options there. It'd just give the existing club the ability to put together a more attractive offer to keep players.

Given Free Agency has largely become a funnel from smaller clubs or non-Victorian clubs (outside Port) to big Victorian clubs (something that was always likely), given who controls the A(V)FL removing anything stopping that wasn't going to remain.

And existing clubs should be able to look after their veterans even if their window is closing and they need to prioritise youth at the same time.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Did I not say the Janus crowd?
Where we see an empty forward line, the Janus crowd sees apparitions of Tony Lockett and Matthew Lloyd just ready to rip the game open.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

St Kilda have lured James Frawley out of retirement.

St Kilda just hoovering up everyone they can get now!

Last edited:
Archie Perkins has told the Crows not to pick him with their pick 9 as he will return to Melbourne. Already enrolled at uni there.

This is ******* s**t behaviour and I hope the cows select him anyway.

This sort of nonsense should be reported, and the players fined/banned. Let their spot in the draft be for someone who deserves it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it though? I don't think they are legally bound not to tell a club they don't want to go there, in most instances it would be in the clubs best interest to know how the player is feeling. It's not draft tempering, but it's pretty shitty.

Having said that, if you nominate for the draft you need to be prepared to play your football anywhere across Australia.
Brett Chalmers says hi

This is ******* sh*t behaviour and I hope the cows select him anyway.

This sort of nonsense should be reported, and the players fined/banned. Let their spot in the draft be for someone who deserves it.
Bumps jones up the list of people the crows would look at as well. All players should play where they’re sent for the first 6 years in the system. No one is forcing them to play footy.

like why

Bumps jones up the list of people the crows would look at as well. All players should play where they’re sent for the first 6 years in the system. No one is forcing them to play footy.

Six years a bit much. Three is enough, three with rules about they can't go into the PSD and as such must be traded for. Unless they are delisted willingly by a club, in which case they can nominate as DFA/PSD.

This is ******* sh*t behaviour and I hope the cows select him anyway.

Didn't Wingard basically refuse to go anywhere but to us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back