Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew Richardson on Rowey’s show about the emergency AFL CEO meeting

Melbourne has admitted a job advertisement seeking three or four people for an 11-month unpaid role in its football department was “poorly-worded”.

The Demons sparked an uproar with their attempt to find volunteers to work in their Football Technology Pathway Progam from December 2020 to October 2021 with contact hours varying from 10-25 hours per week.
“An exciting opportunity has become available for 3-4 individuals to volunteer within the club’s football department for the 2021 season,” the advertisement read.
“Reporting to the football analysis team, the successful individuals will contribute to a broad range of areas within all four of our teams in the AFL, VFL, AFLW and VFLW.
“This program would best suit students or graduates from either an exercise and sports science, information technology, statistical and multimedia background, who have a strong interest and understanding of AFL football.”
The advertisement was circulated on social media on Tuesday and drew an angry reaction.
“Hey Melbourne – don’t do this,” sports journo Paige Cardona wrote. “Do not ask people to work for you for free for 10-25 hours per week in your football department. That is disgusting.”
“Mind-blowing any professional organisation could try and get away with this,” added the AAP’s Oliver Caffrey.

Melbourne has admitted a job advertisement seeking three or four people for an 11-month unpaid role in its football department was “poorly-worded”.

The Demons sparked an uproar with their attempt to find volunteers to work in their Football Technology Pathway Progam from December 2020 to October 2021 with contact hours varying from 10-25 hours per week.
“An exciting opportunity has become available for 3-4 individuals to volunteer within the club’s football department for the 2021 season,” the advertisement read.
“Reporting to the football analysis team, the successful individuals will contribute to a broad range of areas within all four of our teams in the AFL, VFL, AFLW and VFLW.
“This program would best suit students or graduates from either an exercise and sports science, information technology, statistical and multimedia background, who have a strong interest and understanding of AFL football.”
The advertisement was circulated on social media on Tuesday and drew an angry reaction.
“Hey Melbourne – don’t do this,” sports journo Paige Cardona wrote. “Do not ask people to work for you for free for 10-25 hours per week in your football department. That is disgusting.”
“Mind-blowing any professional organisation could try and get away with this,” added the AAP’s Oliver Caffrey.

If somebody has the time, like students and recent graduates...it sounds like a terrific way to get your foot in the door of the industry. It’s a good start to building your career CV.

I’d help push pens for Port a couple hours a week just to give back to my club, let alone possibly furthering my career.

The idea of community is missed on Vic clubs I think. Total non issue.

If somebody has the time, like students and recent graduates...it sounds like a terrific way to get your foot in the door of the industry. It’s a good start to building your career CV.

I’d help push pens for Port a couple hours a week just to give back to my club, let alone possibly furthering my career.

Not like these jobs will be available otherwise. There is simply no money in the cap for them. One suspects they will primarily be used for their women's programmes.

Absolutely no issue with clubs offering opportunities such as that Melbourne is. Gaining experience and full time employment for young people is incredibly hard and only about to get harder after COVID. Gaining the experience of working in a professional organisation for a year is invaluable and shouldn’t have to be paid just to please the PC brigade. I would have loved the chance to do something like that post my University studies and many others would too.

How about we look at it from the other view instead, good on the demons for giving young people opportunities to further their career? Otherwise if it was a paid role they would likely look to hire an experienced person to fill the role full time.

I just fundamentally agree with the idea of unpaid internships:
- it limits the opportunities for experience and 'getting your foot in the door' to people who can afford to work for free (which is a small subset of the population)
- if the company is getting something of value from having interns, they should be paying for it. They don't get supplies for free so that suppliers can have 'we supply company x' on their website, why should it be different for workers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So ummm, get a job somewhere in a high demand skill for ~50-60k on graduate wage ooooooor, work for free? The only area there that you would take this unpaid internship for is probably sports science, in which you'll be lucky to get a job anywhere.

Ok Melbourne.

I migrated to Australia 20 years ago in my mid-20s. My first work activity was an unpaid job. It allowed me to, amongst other things, start a network, gain work experience, acquire relevant Australian referees for my CV, speak English in a work context and get people in the industry to know me. Within a couple of months, I had 3 job offers, one in the same organisation where I was doing unpaid work. And that was the start of what I think has been a great career so far. I feel for those that do not take advantage of these opportunities, especially in the current climate.

Absolutely no issue with clubs offering opportunities such as that Melbourne is. Gaining experience and full time employment for young people is incredibly hard and only about to get harder after COVID. Gaining the experience of working in a professional organisation for a year is invaluable and shouldn’t have to be paid just to please the PC brigade. I would have loved the chance to do something like that post my University studies and many others would too.

How about we look at it from the other view instead, good on the demons for giving young people opportunities to further their career? Otherwise if it was a paid role they would likely look to hire an experienced person to fill the role full time.
Soooo much wrong with this!

I am sure if you offered to work for free after Uni someone would have bitten your hand off.

This is just the modern world of work unfortunately. Supply of labour outstrips demand by a long, long way in most jobs and industries, the workforce is increasingly educated with more and more people looking for skilled work but less and less people finding it, the obvious thing for big companies to do is to take advantage of this situation and get people working for free just to get a foot in the door.

Late stage capitalism.

Work experience has its place but there is a line and it has “free labour” written on it. The moment you start being productive you’re a worker and asking people to be one for an entire year without pay is taking the absolute piss.

lol, melbourne get a years worth of analysis and actionable insights while the workers don't get paid.

Sounds fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back