Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i can only assume these membership renewal emails are pre set. Renewal set for November so bulk emails sent end of October, otherwise you surely wait a couple of weeks after the gf.
I think REH said the auto renewal usually starts in October? If so they are already late compared to a normal year and need the revenue even more than usual. I think you're probably right about the pre-set as well.

With regards to Victorian control of the media, I would have thought Kerry Stokes (does he still own C7?) being Perth-based would be a little more balanced in his coverage. I guess it's all about the money.

It would be good if the AFL had some kind of overseeing commission/board which had mandatory representation from all states.

The age of Geelong's team in the second half of next season:

Selwood - 33
Hawkins - 32
Tuohy - 31
Henderson - 31
Dangerfield - 31
Stanley - 30
Blicavs - 30
Rohan - 30
Duncan - 30

Will be interesting to see if Scott goes down the path of playing the youth. He's never had to do it before. Big decisions to come.

Im trying to find an article or something but am struggling. Can anyone give me reason why the dees passed on martin? I know he had some behavioural stuff in his draft year

Most cat fans I speak to up here all want Scott gone, even before yesterday, and guess who they all want. You win. Ken
So they want to replace a coach who has kept their team challenging for the past ten years with a coach who hasn't achieved that in the same period of time? Totally makes sense.

Geelong lol. They had that one generation of hard nosed winners like Chapman, Scarlett, Bartel, etc, now they've reverted to type. And to think we thought it'd be a good idea to get a coach from there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im trying to find an article or something but am struggling. Can anyone give me reason why the dees passed on martin? I know he had some behavioural stuff in his draft year

Scully was the most professional kid to ever come through the Vic u18 system and was always a lock at pick 1. Trengove had played in and dominated senior SANFL footy including being BOG in a close Prelim Final.

It was only ever going to be Scully & Trengove at 1 & 2. I don't even remember it being a discussion to be honest.

So now it's all over, obviously it feels like sour grapes maybe as it's the first time we've had skin in the game since 2007, but I want to know how Port and Brisbane can beat Geelong and Richmond, swap opponents, get beaten by them, and then Richmond and Geelong get the grand final?

We have to do something about finals. Cut the regular season to 17 games and we find an extra few weeks to work out a better format.

So now it's all over, obviously it feels like sour grapes maybe as it's the first time we've had skin in the game since 2007, but I want to know how Port and Brisbane can beat Geelong and Richmond, swap opponents, get beaten by them, and then Richmond and Geelong get the grand final?

We have to do something about finals. Cut the regular season to 17 games and we find an extra few weeks to work out a better format.

Scrap double chances. I've been saying it for years.

Scrap double chances. I've been saying it for years.

Keep them but make them more legitimate.

IE. Richmond beat Port, Port get another chance. Brisbane beat Geelong, they get a week off prior to grand final while Port gets a prelim rematch. Scrap the pre-finals bye too. Just scrap it anyway.

Just a bad idea but still fairer to the top sides who should earn some sort of advantage and have to more equally contest among each other.

Last edited:
So the 4 dynasties this century

Brisbane
Geelong
Hawthorn
Richmond

Which is better?
I’d say Richmond

Geelong had the Dank/Robinson connection + the FS favouritism

hawthorn = priority pick madness + home ground advantage + #freekickhawthorn

Brisbane had the benefits of the merger + extra salary cap

Richmond had the home ground advantage in two of their three but they seem to have built from years of middling out + they beat the cocky crows in 2017

So the 4 dynasties this century

Brisbane
Geelong
Hawthorn
Richmond

Which is better?

Brisbane. Doing it as a non Victorian team is significantly more difficult and all of their GF wins were against Victorian opponents. And on paper, they had the best team I've ever seen.

I find it hard to split Richmond and Geelong. Both ruthless powerhouses with outstanding players and GOAT contenders.

Hawthorn are 4th and by some distance. They basically got lucky - won a whole lot of prelims by less than a kick, played non Victorian teams in grand finals. They're a dime a dozen premiership team who just kept getting dealt 21 at the proverbial blackjack table.

Scully and Trengove were better players at 18 years of age. Simple as that.

Trengove almost single handed got Sturt into the 2009 GF with a great PF. Centrals then put a hard tag on him in the GF. Nearly every draft watcher were trying to work out who would go 1 and 2 between them.

Last edited:
It's so hard to judge Scully and Trengove. Scully only played 2 seasons at Melbourne and actually ended up playing really good football at GWS (AA squad nominee in 2017) before injury wrecked him. Trengove only made it a few yeas into his career before injuries got him.

It's all easy in hindsight really. Watching Martin in his first few yeas, you'd have no inkling of the player he was going to become.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back