Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I've had a Kennett Morrison of day and I want to give something or someone a bit of a kicking to make myself feel better, I go to this and I feel much better!

Would have been great to have had Pickett playing at Ports.

This proposal was probably his sacrificial lamb but fcuk me, Steve Hocking must have a KPI that states “ruin the game”. ....
That he would even suggest that shows how he has absolutely no understanding of, or feel for, the game of Australian Rules Football.

Anyone who thinks that when attempting to spoil an opponent's mark a player's primary intention is to get the ball over the boundary line should not be allowed to have any say in the rules of the game at any level.

Anyone else pick up the subtle dig via the club’s website that this weekend’s outing is a “match simulation” and not a trial game?

I suppose when you play the worst team in the AFL calling it a trial game would be a stretch. ”Match simulation” is a far better description for a walk in the park against 18 slowly moving witch’s hats.

Perhaps our R8 game should be promoted as a Showdown Simulation.

Anyone else pick up the subtle dig via the club’s website that this weekend’s outing is a “match simulation” and not a trial game?

I suppose when you play the worst team in the AFL calling it a trial game would be a stretch. ”Match simulation” is a far better description for a walk in the park against 18 slowly moving witch’s hats.

Perhaps our R8 game should be promoted as a Showdown Simulation.

we are living in a simulation

Yep it would've been trained out of him before he was 18 now, it's a shame people don't remember how highly skilled he was as well.

Nah he'd still be the same Byron I reckon. The only hit in that video that would get looked at these days is the Biglands one and I still reckon that's a fair bump. Can't agree enough on the skills part though and it annoys me to no end when deadshits act like he was just David Granger 2.0 despite him tearing the greatest team in modern history a new a-hole in the biggest game of the year.

Nah he'd still be the same Byron I reckon. The only hit in that video that would get looked at these days is the Biglands one and I still reckon that's a fair bump. Can't agree enough on the skills part though and it annoys me to no end when deadshits act like he was just David Granger 2.0 despite him tearing the greatest team in modern history a new a-hole in the biggest game of the year.
Nah he inflicted damage and would be in trouble at least once a month now he'd still be a hardass player but coached not to line players up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah he inflicted damage and would be in trouble at least once a month now he'd still be a hardass player but coached not to line players up.

Look at how hard Hawthorn went during their 3peat era with guys like Hodge, Lewis and Mitchell running around. I agree he would've copped suspensions every now and then but they were smart/lucky enough to line players up and get away with it and Byron would've been the same.

Look at how hard Hawthorn went during their 3peat era with guys like Hodge, Lewis and Mitchell running around. I agree he would've copped suspensions every now and then but they were smart/lucky enough to line players up and get away with it and Byron would've been the same.
You can't compare how the AFL treated an indigenous Ports' player with the way good white blokes from Hawthorn were treated.

ignorance truly is bliss, i would kill to think like this

Trouble is, if Choppy had played in this highly sanitised age, how many games would he miss each season?

We probably need to find a Pickett type player to win a flag - or someone to play a Byron type game. To win a flag we have to get past Richmond and Dusty Martin. Martin's finals record is brilliant and he is like Pickett in that he is bloody strong, hits in hard, has explosive pace and can kick a goal at a critical stage. Dusty could do and would have done as much physical damage as Byron, if he played under the same rules of the 90's and 00's.

Watch those finals games from 2004 in particular and others as well, and you see how Byron, like Dusty, explode when they take possession of the ball, get past opponents and kick goals.

Who does Port have that can physically impose themselves between half back and half forward and can kick 4 or 5 goals in a PF or GF like Dusty and Byron??

The only person who has been able to stop Dusty - indirectly - in finals over the last 4 years has been Mason Cox. His contested marking not just in the forward line, but all round the ground in that PF denied Richmond the ball and it meant less turnovers to get the ball to Dusty. Sure Grundy, Pendlebury, Greenwood, Adams, Sidebottom, etc did their job in the middle and restricted Dusty at stoppages but Cox destroyed their defence, where Richmond get a lot of drive from. I just cant see Dixon, Ladhams or Marshall playing that sort of game to get us over Richmond.

We probably need to find a Pickett type player to win a flag - or someone to play a Byron type game. To win a flag we have to get past Richmond and Dusty Martin. Martin's finals record is brilliant and he is like Pickett in that he is bloody strong, hits in hard, has explosive pace and can kick a goal at a critical stage. Dusty could do and would have done as much physical damage as Byron, if he played under the same rules of the 90's and 00's.

Watch those finals games from 2004 in particular and others as well, and you see how Byron, like Dusty, explode when they take possession of the ball, get past opponents and kick goals.

Who does Port have that can physically impose themselves between half back and half forward and can kick 4 or 5 goals in a PF or GF like Dusty and Byron??

The only person who has been able to stop Dusty - indirectly - in finals over the last 4 years has been Mason Cox. His contested marking not just in the forward line, but all round the ground in that PF denied Richmond the ball and it meant less turnovers to get the ball to Dusty. Sure Grundy, Pendlebury, Greenwood, Adams, Sidebottom, etc did their job in the middle and restricted Dusty at stoppages but Cox destroyed their defence, where Richmond get a lot of drive from. I just cant see Dixon, Ladhams or Marshall playing that sort of game to get us over Richmond.
It could come down to injuries at the wrong time - if we get lucky and they don't, it could make the difference.

It could come down to injuries at the wrong time - if we get lucky and they don't, it could make the difference.
I don't want to depend on luck.

Hodge was able to ram an opponent's head into a goal post, and get only 2 games for it. If Tom Jonas were to do the same thing, he'd cop a 3 month holiday.

Hodge was able to ram an opponent's head into a goal post, and get only 2 games for it. If Tom Jonas were to do the same thing, he'd cop a 3 month holiday.

remember when Kane Cornes was suspended for not one, but two games, for Sam Mitchell diving? yeah

Big difference between Hawthorn and Port players being able to get away with that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back