Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I urge you all to get on board with the thread sobrave made on the main board about gambling ads in afl broadcasts.

There is a link in there to lodge a complaint. This s**t is out of control.

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's only natural to pick up umpiring 'bias' when it's your team (and we do seem to cop it), but the neutral games I've seen this year do seem very one-sided in this regard. There really does seem to be some kind of agenda at play, and the rule changes just make it even easier to achieve it.

That coupled with the blanket betting ad coverage suggests to me the AFL is starting to be unhealthily beholden to the gambling industry.

I urge you all to get on board with the thread sobrave made on the main board about gambling ads in afl broadcasts.

There is a link in there to lodge a complaint. This sh*t is out of control.
Before Covid there’d be a chance, post Covid and with a Liberal government? ZERO chance.

The AFL is beholden to television ratings and what is going to attract the most viewers, and they’ve engineered the fixture to reflect this. It’s all about maximising revenue after COVID, because the next television rights are going to be considerably less otherwise. And what does television want?

More goals kicked for more advertising revenue. They don’t want a 46-40 scoreline, but a 97-91 scoreline. Any team that focuses on defending to mitigate scoring is going to be punished - they want teams that defend to turn the ball over and create scoring opportunities. Less spoils out of bounds, more intercepts and fast break turnover goals.

Of course, teams can still win with a purely defensive mindset...it’s just that they won’t get the umpiring assistance other teams will get.

The AFL is beholden to television ratings and what is going to attract the most viewers, and they’ve engineered the fixture to reflect this. It’s all about maximising revenue after COVID, because the next television rights are going to be considerably less otherwise. And what does television want?

More goals kicked for more advertising revenue. They don’t want a 46-40 scoreline, but a 97-91 scoreline. Any team that focuses on defending to mitigate scoring is going to be punished - they want teams that defend to turn the ball over and create scoring opportunities. Less spoils out of bounds, more intercepts and fast break turnover goals.

Of course, teams can still win with a purely defensive mindset...it’s just that they won’t get the umpiring assistance other teams will get.
I agree with your take. And I am depressed now.

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sydney are 4-0 but apparently them only just beating Essendon is evidence they're no good whereas us getting absolutely obliterated by West Coast is just an abberation and we'll come good.

Or you could just not read into either result too much and understand that there's still heaps to play out.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
The humour is a bit hit and miss, but I had to laugh at the headline to the right.

FIVEaa now adds diversity to presenter lineup by hiring a half Italian guy

When did Dawn Fraser join their line up?

1617937996020.png

When did Dawn Fraser join their line up?

View attachment 1097817

Who the * are they. I know one is monobrow penberthy, graham cornes...the ghost of KG.

Who the * are the rest

Actually funny that that picture presents as one of those "they are all dead. RIP" pictures.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Can anyone explain KG's history with Port, I suspect he's long been a detractor.

He's a West Adelaide fan, yeah? A few of our 6 in a row flags were against West Adelaide - by less than a goal. KG would've been a teenager in those days (if you can imagine that!). When he grew up he became a SANFL umpire...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back