Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this the worst umpiring decision ever?

1) Know quite a bit about Wedderburn and I wouldn't be surprised at all if there was under the counter s**t going on there especially in leagues around those parts.

2) If I was Minister of Defence I'd be recommending a tactical drone strike on Wedderburn without delay that place makes Daveron Park look like Burnside and probably has more scumbags in it too.

Bucks looks like death warmed up at the moment. He seriously needs to walk away as the job will probably kill him if he is not careful.
I have no love for the Pies, but I certainly wouldn't mind if they shock the Eagles on Friday night. It sounds about as logical as the Saints v Eagles result, but who knows?

Was the umpiring slightly in our favour? Sure. But why is it that there's always a huge fuss when we finally get the rub of the green, but nothing is ever said when teams like the Crows regularly get double the amount of free kicks than the opposition at AO, or North Melbourne receive a 38-15 free kick count advantage?
More to the point, why do commentators regularly seem to barrack for the opposition live on air during Port games, while every decision paid in Port's favour appears to be heavily scrutinised?

The league used to maintain and publish incorrect and correct free kick for and against statistics by club. When it exposed the league for being corrupt and biased, the statistics vanished from the free press.
It’s an interesting exercise, but I’m not sure the method is fair. First of all, there are the uncalled frees. Were they taken into account?

Moreover, the first concern must be consistency. The way the game is officiated should be the first source of guideline for measuring “correctness.” If the same standards are used for both teams constantly throughout the game, the umpires are doing their job.

Deviations from those standards would be the wrong call. If those deviations were actually the right calls, that’s another matter entirely. Did they consider “consistency?”

Such a table may do more harm than good.

there was a clear double standard at play.

That’s an issue. Free count is not an evidence of that, though.

More to the point, why do commentators regularly seem to barrack for the opposition live on air during Port games, while every decision paid in Port's favour appears to be heavily scrutinised?

Victorian bias, probably.

Last edited:
Was the umpiring slightly in our favour? Sure. But why is it that there's always a huge fuss when we finally get the rub of the green, but nothing is ever said when teams like the Crows regularly get double the amount of free kicks than the opposition at AO, or North Melbourne receive a 38-15 free kick count advantage?
This is very true

That's.. disgusting. I'm assuming it's paywalled, what was the problem? Don't they have Ambos around the stadium?
Not that this has anything to do with football or the AFL other than the location but;

"A friend immediately called 000, and two St John first aid officers quickly attended. A paramedic ... arrived by car a short time later ...

.. The SA Ambulance Service confirmed it was called to attend an elderly patient at Adelaide Oval on March 20, and said the patient was “triaged and cared for” before being taken to the QEH. “St John’s Ambulance first responders were in attendance at the event … and provided initial treatment,” a statement said.

Ms Smart said she was eventually taken by ambulance to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, where she was kept overnight and found to have suffered from dehydration.
"

So little old lady attends an afternoon game in 32 degrees and doesn't drink enough water. You have every right to be disgusted.

And it's not as if the umpires are completely oblivious to Richmond's tactics.

I've been watching the game again over the last few days and when Butters receives the free for high contact which resulted in our first goal one of the commentators goes on about how lucky he was despite the replays clearly showing that the contact was high and that Butters didn't duck into the tackle but was low because he was gathering a ground ball.

It's all good - they've won a few games against the competition heavy weights, so according to a Crows fan at work, Adelaide will win a flag before Port.....
They're talking as if they've already won the flag...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I bet you'll find these whinges about umpiring and commentator biases on every club board on Sizeable Sherrin.
Of course, which is then why you have to go to the Stats across many games (/seasons), rather than rely on 'it's the vibe' as Victorian teams do, when they get a rare hard done by against a Non-Vic side.

The win over North over there 4 or 5 years ago now, where scragging Scott Thompson finally copped a few decisions against him to Schulz’s benefit and Matthew Richardson was incredulous about how supposedly soft they were. He then fixated on Jay cribbing half a metre to improve the angle a few times to the point where the umpires hyperfocused it on the following game.

In contrast, we never heard a peep in defence of Alipate Carlile who had an almost magical knack of giving away frees when merely competing. The Joel Corey stitchup in Q4 of the 2013 Semi comes to mind.

The win over North over there 4 or 5 years ago now, where scragging Scott Thompson finally copped a few decisions against him to Schulz’s benefit and Matthew Richardson was incredulous about how supposedly soft they were. He then fixated on Jay cribbing half a metre to improve the angle a few times to the point where the umpires hyperfocused it on the following game.

In contrast, we never heard a peep in defence of Alipate Carlile who had an almost magical knack of giving away frees when merely competing. The Joel Corey stitchup in Q4 of the 2013 Semi comes to mind.
Then of course there's the blatant examples of our players being victims trial by media, such as Jonas' groggy St. Kilda opponent being interviewed at half time - Tommy was never going to escape with a fine after that. Plus the Butters debacle against North last year: I'm surprised that Jason Dunstall didn't call for the reintroduction of the death penalty.

Can someone explain how we got a good run with the umpires when Richmond injured 5 of our players for zero free kicks, and that debut player was fined for rough conduct twice for zero free kicks, and Dustin Martin is allowed to hit players in the throat and run off with the ball?
Watch the second quarter only and most decisions went our way. First quarter might have leant ever so slightly our way and the second half was down the line.

Dustin Martin is allowed to hit players in the throat and run off with the ball?

Had to laugh at this. It sounds ridiculous when you put it this way but that's exactly what he does.

Not only is it allowed, it's outright celebrated.

Had to laugh at this. It sounds ridiculous when you put it this way but that's exactly what he does.

Not only is it allowed, it's outright celebrated.
The Dusty high fend off has become the new Buddy natural arc. Ironic that Hocking justifies rule changes because he wants more players to have "Dustin Martin moments" yet other players are (correctly) penalised for a high fend off.

I’m fairly sure Wayne Carey’s analysis on friday night mostly consisted of complaining about the umpires. Even Robbie’s incredibly amazing game winning mark was met with “well that should have been a free”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back