Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The skinfold test is one of many tests players endure at the draft combine. I don't know how much emphasis each clubs' recruiters place on the skinfold test but I doubt that any club drafts purely based on skinfolds.

Why stop at banning the skinfold test? A player's height, weight, arm length and hand span are all tested.

Surely there are draftees that find the other tests stressful.

Beep test
3km time trial
Repeat sprint test
Agility test
20m sprint
Running vertical jump
Standing vertical jump
Nathan Buckley test
Matthew Lloyd test
Brad Johnson test
I vote for "NO MORE tests!"

It shames the poor boys. Imagine coming last in 20m sprint! How crushing & demoralizing. Getting beeped-out in the Beep test, or out-jumped in Vertical Jump test, could set the lads back years in their personal development & self-esteem.

So ... I propose that Draft Camp start with a parade of all the lads selected, marching past the waving and cheering club recruiters. Then all the young darlings get interviewed by each club, followed by drinks and nibblies. Then, very importantly, ALL the boys are given participation awards - Everyone's a winner! [Queue Oprah meme] All go home happy, cheery, confident little Vegemites!

:think:

But then, what about all the lads at home that werent selected to attend the Draft Camp? Crushing defeat! Destroyed self-esteem!

Ok, so ... Maybe we SCRAP the Draft Camp, and instead have a Lucky Dip. ALL young hopefuls have their names placed in a bin, and then the clubs have a blind pick from the barrel, which ia televised live.

PC'ness is observed, and the universe is back in alignment - Problem solved. :p

Last edited:
I vote for "NO MORE tests!"

It shames the poor boys. Imagine coming last in 20m sprint! How crushing & demoralizing. Getting beeped-out in the Beep test, or out-jumped in Vertical Jump test, could set the lads back years in their personal development & self-esteem.

So ... I propose that Draft Camp start with a parade of all the lads selected, marching past the waving and cheering club recruiters. Then all the young darlings get interviewed by each club, followed by drinks and nibblies. Then, very importantly, ALL the boys are given participation awards - Everyone's a winner! [Queue Oprah meme] All go home happy, cheery, confident little Vegemites!

:think:

But then, what about all the lads at home that werent selected to attend the Draft Camp? Crushing defeat! Destroyed self-esteem!

So ... I propose we SCRAP the Draft Camp and instead have a Lucky Dip. ALL young hopefuls have their names placed in a bin, and then the clubs have a blind pick from the barrel televised live.

Problem solved. :p

Just get em to provide a letter from their private school headm principal. Or is that how they get invited to Draft camp in the first place?

Literally no one:

Football supporters: How dare people have bodily autonomy and not be shamed for the way their fat is distributed 😠😠😠

What is the world coming to where we actually accomodate people’s needs and don’t push white supremacist notions of the perfect form upon teenagers 😠😠😠

Literally no one:

Football supporters: How dare people have bodily autonomy and not be shamed for the way their fat is distributed 😠😠😠

What is the world coming to where we actually accomodate people’s needs and don’t push white supremacist notions of the perfect form upon teenagers 😠😠😠

Bit ageist of you to assume that this only effects teenagers and you're marginalising people younger than teenagers with such microaggressions. typical white man IMHO.

Such a nothing issue it's not Mr. Hairyback fat shaming some year 8 kids in a PE pinch test, these are fit young guys in an elite sports environment who spend half their lives with their shirts off.

Literally no one:

I think we should label every draft pick as number 1.

Literally no one:

Please, just stop.

You're boring now.

Such a nothing issue it's not Mr. Hairyback fat shaming some year 8 kids in a PE pinch test, these are fit young guys in an elite sports environment who spend half their lives with their shirts off.

I don't particularly care but surely in the 21st century in a multi billion dollar sport there's a better test than grabbing someone's love handles with a set of calipers

There's body comp scanner things that show how much fat tissue, muscle mass, bone density etc..

Its up to the recruiters then if they want to recruit Mr universe who can't manage to kick straight if his life depends on it or the chubby kid from the country who can pinpoint a pass on the run from 50m

Literally no one:

1618452893459.png

Did you not see this man rip apart Geelong in 5 mins of game time.

#gutpower

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Literally no one:

Being lean is a white supremacist notion? o_O

I agree though, expecting professional athletes to be fit is definitely over the top. I blame Boomers. :rolleyes:

Please, just stop.

You're boring now.
Darling I’ve never been boring, you are all simply missing the point which sits right in front of you.

Players have complained about this for a long time, speaking on the severe anxiety it causes them. And for what? The test proves little and as noted above, Stuart Dew tore a grand final apart looking the way he did.

If you think I’m a troll you are closed minded and boring. I simply don’t have any joy to offer to people who are so miserable they call footballer’s precious for wanting basic dignity.

I don't particularly care but surely in the 21st century in a multi billion dollar sport there's a better test than grabbing someone's love handles with a set of calipers

There's body comp scanner things that show how much fat tissue, muscle mass, bone density etc..

Its up to the recruiters then if they want to recruit Mr universe who can't manage to kick straight if his life depends on it or the chubby kid from the country who can pinpoint a pass on the run from 50m
As I posted earlier, skinfolds are one of many tests done on draftees. Skinfolds alone do not rule a player in or out of being drafted.

It's not a parody account, it's a real person. My only advice is if you can't stop yourself from biting, put them on ignore. It's the best thing you can do for yourself and probably for them.

Darling I’ve never been boring, you are all simply missing the point which sits right in front of you.

Players have complained about this for a long time, speaking on the severe anxiety it causes them. And for what? The test proves little and as noted above, Stuart Dew tore a grand final apart looking the way he did.

If you think I’m a troll you are closed minded and boring. I simply don’t have any joy to offer to people who are so miserable they call footballer’s precious for wanting basic dignity.
What % chance do you think Dew has of winning those premierships if he didn't have someone monitoring his physique and diet?

I'm going to go with 0%.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back