Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't believe there were 20,000 free seats the scanners said I was inside when I rocked up and the security just let me in.
It feels like they shaved 5k off the crowd.

I guess this is AFL related so here goes...

On the other side of the woke debate there is the guy who wants to ban the Carlton club song because back in 1890 it originally had racist lyrics. The original lyrics were pretty racist but they were changed in the 1930's when Bing Crosby recorded it and the Carlton lyrics are entirely different from those of Crosby. The only thing unchanged is the melody which most people would associate with Crosby's version of Lilly of Laguana. Of course very few people would know about the song's racist origins if this Hagan guy had not made the issue public. Stephen Hagan is the same guy who lead the charge to against Coon Cheese.

On the other side of the woke debate there is the guy who wants to ban the Carlton club song because back in 1890 it originally had racist lyrics. The original lyrics were pretty racist but they were changed in the 1930's when Bing Crosby recorded it and the Carlton lyrics are entirely different from those of Crosby. The only thing unchanged is the melody which most people would associate with Crosby's version of Lilly of Laguana. Of course very few people would know about the song's racist origins if this Hagan guy had not made the issue public. Stephen Hagan is the same guy who lead the charge to against Coon Cheese.

Geez I hope they don’t take away Cheer cheer the Black and the White ☺️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn can’t afford to bottom out and do a full rebuild because their non-bandwagon supporter base that was actually there for them pre-2008 is a similar size to North’s fanbase.
TheI’ve won enough that it doesn’t matter.

TheI’ve won enough that it doesn’t matter.

People would’ve been saying that after their last dynasty though... and they were close to folding in less than five years.

The Hawthorn supporter base is a weird one there's a theatre going element when they are up & only a modest rusted on true fan base underneath when they are struggling.. I'm not even sure the theatre goers are actually Hawthorn fans tbh.

Freo play like this next week challenge

Freo are in the phase of their development where they play like heroes at home and total mugs on the road and the contrast from week to week is quite mind boggling to watch. The WA clubs have a real penchant for being like this when they are in the early stages of being a decent team. They'll win their 10 games this year but only 1 or 2 will be on the road.

People would’ve been saying that after their last dynasty though... and they were close to folding in less than five years.
Yup, but as they repeated it they can just say ‘it’s coming’.

Freo are in the phase of their development where they play like heroes at home and total mugs on the road and the contrast from week to week is quite mind boggling to watch. The WA clubs have a real penchant for being like this when they are in the early stages of being a decent team. They'll win their 10 games this year but only 1 or 2 will be on the road.
Next week being one of those two hopefully, on paper they should trouble the Crows they have the run.

just don't share the link and even less people will know about it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back