Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even then I wouldn't. Players are only a couple of bad injuries or a few bad concussions away from a severe dip in form or even retirement. 8 years is a whole career for some guys.

In all seriousness, its poor list management for anything longer than a 4 year deal.

10 years for Buddy means his latter years are a crawl to the finish line, he's injury prone and slowing down on his output. Dusty could slow down in a year or two if he gets a bad injury.

Only thing I can think of is if you are very confident that a player has 8 years of footy life left, you could maybe save a million plus in having to negotiate his contract 2-3 more times throughout that 8 year period.

I'll remember to use this argument next time I play scrabble.
You do realise words are added and removed from the dictionary every year....and that Scrabble is a board game and not the authority on English right?
The word womxn was added this year, just to blow your mind.

March 2021
More than 1400 new words, sub-entries, and revisions have been added to the Oxford English Dictionary in our latest update, including gender pay gap, me-too, essential worker, and ally.

UH OHHHHH

You do realise words are added and removed from the dictionary every year....and that Scrabble is a board game and not the authority on English right?

March 2021
More than 1400 new words, sub-entries, and revisions have been added to the Oxford English Dictionary in our latest update, including gender pay gap, me-too, essential worker, and ally.

UH OHHHHH
oh geez....

"The term womxn is an alternative spelling of the English word woman. Womxn has been found in writing since the 1970s, along with the term womyn, to avoid perceived sexism in the standard spelling, which contains the word "man"

Worlds Fuxked

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

March 2021

UH OHHHHH

lol calm down

The fact he's allowed out on the ground with unstable blood sugars (which is his personal responsibility) which leads to agitation and impulsive behaviour as well as playing after all those concussions is ridiculous by him and a lack of duty of care by AFL/VFL... That sort of s**t is putting not only him at risk but others.

English has no appointed authority, and it’s awesome.

Long contracts may make sense. It’s always a matter of how much one values the player. For instance, if you think that $2,000k in 4 years is just, signing for $2,000k in 6 years is fine. You get two years for free.

The fact he's allowed out on the ground with unstable blood sugars which leads to agitation and impulsive behaviour as well as playing after all those concussions is ridiculous by him and a lack of duty of care by AFL/VFL... That sort of sh*t is putting not only him at risk but others.
i think without the helmet it allowed his brain to slide out his head to be fair

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apparently rasing your elbow to fend off to someone's head is acceptable.

But the heads sacrosanct.
It's clearly Melbourne's turn to win a flag. If you're playing the Dees at the MCG in September 2021, good luck with the umpires!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the contrary - look at the multiple premierships that have resulted from Buddy's 10 year deal with Sydney.........

The way I see it, there’s only three valid motives for it,

1) you’re a club looking to make a massive splash by landing a genuine superstar of the comp at the expense of a market rival (Buddy to Sydney trumping GWS; Judd to Carlton trumping a host of Batmanabad clubs; Ablett to Gold Coast to make a splash in Qld);

2) you have a superstar/potential superstar who is at significant risk of leaving due to being from interstate (Grundy at Collingwood; Kelly at GWS, Wines at Port, Cripps at Carlton);

3) your club is a raging binfire and you need to make a statement validating your culture to other incumbent players, as well as retain the guy you desperately want to keep (Boak at Port circa 2011; Sloane at Adelaide);

4) some mixture of the intersecting rambling rambles above;

But if the player is unproven (Tom Boyd!), or not at that genuine star level, and/or comes with an injury concern (say, Jared Polec and Tom Rockliff), you’re gonna be on the hook for a lot of money and/or wasted trade capital for marginal returns unless everything goes right.

In Petracca’s case he’s shaping as a genuine superstar, and he’s got plenty of footy ahead of him at age 25, so he ticks those boxes, but as a Vic Metro boy and with the Dees on the up-and-up, where’s he gonna go? Detroit?

Even if he wins 2-3 Brownlows in this time, they’re gonna be like Zach Galifianakis meme trying to re-sign everybody else they want for a long time (we’re seeing these consequences with the Grundy whopper, as good as he is).

It's clearly Melbourne's turn to win a flag. If you're playing the Dees at the MCG in September 2021, good luck with the umpires!!!
If this obviously happens I’m probably done with the AFL, I’ll just watch wrestling instead.

Even then I wouldn't. Players are only a couple of bad injuries or a few bad concussions away from a severe dip in form or even retirement. 8 years is a whole career for some guys.
Normally when a player retires due to injuries though you can get them off the books so they don't end up causing salary cap issues when they're no longer playing. Unlike the Swan's Buddy situation.

English has no appointed authority, and it’s awesome.

Long contracts may make sense. It’s always a matter of how much one values the player. For instance, if you think that $2,000k in 4 years is just, signing for $2,000k in 6 years is fine. You get two years for free.
For mine the long contract is just a way to pay a star more per year than the salary cap allows.

You expect to be carrying them or paying them out the last few years but by then you will likely be rebuilding and bringing through youth so its better than overpaying duds or kids just to get to the cap minimum.

If they last the whole journey, even better.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back