Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That wasn't my intention.

Sorry. I'm just very annoyed this morning. Channel 7 are showing 8th placed West playing 7th placed Central instead of our away match, we are sitting outside the top 4, we blew 2020, we have a truck load of injuries, and haven't been relevant since 2004, and we play in attire where we don't even look like Port Adelaide.

I can understand Vic commentators running with the “MCG home of footy“ thing to justify the gf being played there every year but I can’t understand the non Victorian commentators buying into the same bs. It really is a version of VFL plus guests. There’s absolutely no reason other than that as to why the gf can’t be in different cities each year.

Last year will hurt for a long time.
We won one and lost one in last years finals just like Richmond and Geelong did.
Should have sacked Ken after the preliminary final loss.
The old Port Adelaide would have never accepted last years finals results.
Ken would have been thrown out the door so fast his feet would have never touched the floor.

Nobody bangs on about the corruption of this league more than me...nobody.

I've just got a feeling this year we'll overcome it.
Where does the turd in the punchbowl fit in? years & years worth of evidence suggest it's highly unlikely

What I hated most about 2020 was beating Geelong and then them ending up in the Grand Final.

sorry to quote you again ... and yes it sucked ... not so much because it is Geelong but because they are one of those clubs that don't lose an edge of their confidence if they lose the semi-final and it reminds me that we're not. Had we lost the semi-final, I'm not so sure we'd be resilient enough to rebound and make it through to the GF.

Nobody bangs on about the corruption of this league more than me...nobody.

I've just got a feeling this year we'll overcome it.

I’m digging this new optimistic Papa.
You getting laid more often these days?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where does the turd in the punchbowl fit in? years & years worth of evidence suggest it's highly unlikely

I think this is the best team we've had in *faces reign.

I think (hope) lessons have been learnt.

If we get close to our best team on the park we are in it up to our eyeballs. I just feel more optimistic than I have previously. Maybe all the booze is catching up with me?

I think this is the best team we've had in fu**faces reign.

I think (hope) lessons have been learnt.

If we get close to our best team on the park we are in it up to our eyeballs. I just feel more optimistic than I have previously. Maybe all the booze is catching up with me?

I think you’re right about the squad we have.

Our two frustrating loses to the Dogs and then the Cats, we were in positions to win but lacked the class with our bottom end out on the field.

Add just Lycett, Butters, and Duursma, and I think we would have beaten Geelong and possibly Bulldogs.

Lycett has been the biggest out really you can cobble a midfield together to cover guys to extent, taking out the aggressive ruck feeding it is another matter.

Last year will hurt for a long time.
We won one and lost one in last years finals just like Richmond and Geelong did.
Should have sacked Ken after the preliminary final loss.
The old Port Adelaide would have never accepted last years finals results.
Ken would have been thrown out the door so fast his feet would have never touched the floor.

I think it goes back further than last year. That terrible Grand final loss in 2008 shattered the self belief among the Coach and the playing group. Choco was never able to get the group back in finals mode.

Then under Hinkley there was that unacceptable capitulation in 2018 when we lost 6 from our last 7 games to fall out of the eight. Four of those losses were at Adelaide Oval. We had 10 wins with 7 games to go and 4 of the remaining games were on our home ground.

Those two events sowed the seeds of mediocrity and we have never recovered.

... I can’t understand the non Victorian commentators buying into the same bs. ...
Non-Victorian commentators value their AFL media accreditation and some even work for networks who are paid a lot of money to televise the AFL grand final from the MCG.

I think it goes back further than last year. That terrible Grand final loss in 2008 shattered the self belief among the Coach and the playing group. Choco was never able to get the group back in finals mode.

Then under Hinkley there was that unacceptable capitulation in 2018 when we lost 6 from our last 7 games to fall out of the eight. Four of those losses were at Adelaide Oval. We had 10 wins with 7 games to go and 4 of the remaining games were on our home ground.

Last year should have been the final straw for Ken.
He’s had his chances with Coke Zero result.

But it's a tough competition and someone has to lose.

sorry to quote you again ... and yes it sucked ... not so much because it is Geelong but because they are one of those clubs that don't lose an edge of their confidence if they lose the semi-final and it reminds me that we're not. Had we lost the semi-final, I'm not so sure we'd be resilient enough to rebound and make it through to the GF.

Well you don't get a second chance after losing a preliminary final against the side they lost the GF to.

Port - play 2 finals, win 1 (against Geelong), miss the GF
Geelong - play 2 finals, win 1, play in the GF

Its just a shitty quirk of the system that exists.

Lycett has been the biggest out really you can cobble a midfield together to cover guys to extent, taking out the aggressive ruck feeding it is another matter.

It wouldn't have been so massive if dumb dumb had actually given a shot to the number 2 ruckman on the list...

Last year should have been the final straw for Ken.
He’s had his chances with Coke Zero result.
2018 should have been it, but he got an extension in 2017. We are in 2021, and there has been ANOTHER extension.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back