Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont have much time for Goodes there is something that smells victim and im not buying it. His self righteousness stinks imo.

But as Sydney Presbyterian pastor Mark Powell said in a recent Quadrant article, “Reconciliation starts with telling the truth.”
Mark has a degree in anthropology. He has studied several primary sources detailing Indigenous culture from the late 18th century, such as those summarized by noted anthropologist A.P. Elkin.
Mark says it’s difficult to see how true reconciliation can occur when falsehoods – such as claims that Aboriginal people lived in peace and harmony until the Europeans came – continue to be perpetrated.
So what were the actual beliefs and practices of Indigenous peoples living in Australia, especially since Europeans arrived?

Absolute s**t take. Absolutely s**t.

Mark says it’s difficult to see how true reconciliation can occur when falsehoods – such as claims that Aboriginal people lived in peace and harmony until the Europeans came – continue to be perpetrated.

So what were the actual beliefs and practices of Indigenous peoples living in Australia, especially since Europeans arrived?

I know you won't have a clue what I'm talking about here. But that comment of yours, in a discussion about Adam Goodes, quoting from a right wing political journal, actually gets to the very heart of the issue.

It shows just how little we have progressed as a nation.

Last edited:
Not sure I'd call him that, but he was certainly a member of the "good bloke club"
Similiar to sellwood a ducker, also a tunneler and an umps favourite and the more he slowed down the more he dove and tunneled.

thats the reason I booed him.

i applaud him for his stance against racism And applaud him for continuing to stand against the racism in AFL

The mid season draft doesn't really need to exist however the fact it upsets the SANFL clubs makes me happy, perhaps if they didn't hamper us with ridiculous rules regarding the maggies I'd feel different.. but no get fckd.
im just disappointed that more sanfl players weren’t taken. The fact it annoys Rowe, KG and Cornes makes it all the more enjoyable.

I hope McEntee kicks the winner against Sturt

Similiar to sellwood a ducker, also a tunneler and an umps favourite and the more he slowed down the more he dove and tunneled.

thats the reason I booed him.

i applaud him for his stance against racism And applaud him for continuing to stand against the racism in AFL
For clarity, did you boo him against us or did you boo him because he did it against us and other sides? And did you boo him after one of those events you’re speaking of or did you just decide he deserved to be booed whenever you thought you’d like to boo him during a match?

The issue is that I really didnt like Goodes late in his career when he started tunnelling blokes and playing dirty. I didnt boo, and have never boo'd a player, only umpires, but they deserve it.

I dont have much time for Goodes there is something that smells victim and im not buying it. His self righteousness stinks imo.

But as Sydney Presbyterian pastor Mark Powell said in a recent Quadrant article, “Reconciliation starts with telling the truth.”
Mark has a degree in anthropology. He has studied several primary sources detailing Indigenous culture from the late 18th century, such as those summarized by noted anthropologist A.P. Elkin.

I mean apart from the fact that literally nobody has ever said that, what on earth does it have to do with a football player rejecting a hall of fame nomination?

The issue is that I really didnt like Goodes late in his career when he started tunnelling blokes and playing dirty. I didnt boo, and have never boo'd a player, only umpires, but they deserve it.
See, I agree with those criticisms of Goodes. I also thought he was a dirty tunneler, but that is a completely separate issue to him being a victim of the systemic racism that plagues the entirety of the AFL industry. There have been many players before and after him that have committed dirty acts on the footy field and haven't been subjected to the level of booing and media scrutiny in which he was. It was clearly of racial intent since he had been so outspoken about those issues. No matter how much of s**t bloke you are no one deserves to be villianized based on the colour of their skin or the heritage of their peoples.

Not having a go at you in any way mate, I agree with your post wholeheartedly, there just seem to be a few that can't separate the two issues.

I’d have more sympathy for Sturt regarding increased compensation for McEntee if we weren’t made to pay a five-figure transfer fee to Glenelg for Steven Salopek — a player they didn’t want, who only fleetingly played for them in the first place because Port drafted him from Victoria.

6F6291F6-FAF7-4F5E-9DDB-45ACBC1D016E.jpeg

🤪

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think that was this issue though. As you can tell from this thread a portion of people were booing for purely racist reasons. Maybe not a majority but certainly a portion.

It all got out of hand because football commentators are terrible at their job and piss the average fan off, the standard of umpiring is appalling, Eddie is a genuine racist and Gill is scared to address any of the above.

The whole situation is sad.

See, I agree with those criticisms of Goodes. I also thought he was a dirty tunneler, but that is a completely separate issue to him being a victim of the systemic racism that plagues the entirety of the AFL industry. There have been many players before and after him that have committed dirty acts on the footy field and haven't been subjected to the level of booing and media scrutiny in which he was. It was clearly of racial intent since he had been so outspoken about those issues. No matter how much of sh*t bloke you are no one deserves to be villianized based on the colour of their skin or the heritage of their peoples.

Not having a go at you in any way mate, I agree with your post wholeheartedly, there just seem to be a few that can't separate the two issues.

Yeah that’s pretty much how I feel/felt.

I always respected him as one of the greatest to ever do it, but some of the sh¡t he got away with against us — repeatedly shoving guys under marking contests in 2014 and successfully arguing at the tribunal that an unusually hard SCG turf was to blame for concussing Matt Thomas and not his dangerous tackle — really really really annoyed me.

A bit like ‘good blokes’ Luke Hodge and Jordan Lewis having the dirtier aspects of their game swept under the rug thanks to their and Hawthorn’s wider glories.

But when the guy actively comes out and says the booing is adversely affecting him, whatever your motives may have been, you stop.

The same d¡ckheads who continued to hound him probably adorn their socials with ‘RU OK?’, ‘Movember’ and other mental health awareness shtick, thus unintentionally revealing themselves.

It all got out of hand because football commentators are terrible at their job and piss the average fan off,

Nah that's just a cop out. The 'average fan' is an adult and booing Adam Goodes every bloody time he touched the ball is totally on them.

Even if you didn't like the way he played, surely knowing that many of those booing him were absolutely racist and doing it solely for racist reasons - for who is was and what he stood for, why would you join in? Because you didn't like a TV commentator telling you not too? Come off it.

Listen to the chorus of boos Goodes got for his last mark and kick in the game, a goal, in the dying minutes of that final against North Melbourne in 2015. North were up by 4 goals with a minute to play and still the brain dead fans booed him.

Are we really surprised why now, just 6 years later, Adam Goodes still won't except the trinkets the AFL throw at him to make everything seem OK?

Nah that's just a cop out. The 'average fan' is an adult and booing Adam Goodes every bloody time he touched the ball is totally on them.

Even if you didn't like the way he played, surely knowing that many of those booing him were absolutely racist and doing it solely for racist reasons - for who is was and what he stood for, why would you join in? Because you didn't like a TV commentator telling you not too? Come off it.

Listen to the chorus of boos Goodes got for his last mark and kick in the game, a goal, in the dying minutes of that final against North Melbourne in 2015. North were up by 4 goals with a minute to play and still the brain dead fans booed him.

Are we really surprised why now, just 6 years later, Adam Goodes still won't except the trinkets the AFL throw at him to make everything seem OK?

It’s a good thing he played his last game that night in front of his own supporters.

If they won they would have been playing West Coast in Perth the week after....

There is no justified place or reason for racism in our world, especially in the entertainment industry where we attempt to isolate society's imperfections and celebrate the significance of our individuality. People are entitled to make up their own opinions towards Adam Goodes as a player, personally, I never had a severe issue with his aggressive late-career actions, as I feel many players in the modern era of the AFL are given lenience from the media and the tribunal which sometimes causes players to develop a more aggressive playstyle in the back end of their careers, or in other cases play for frees which their reputation lets them get away with. (I'm not saying this is justified, but it is now a common occurrence and Goodes is far from the worst victim of this issue)

Reading the response which Tim Watson directed however really made my blood boil in anger and frustration. It leaves me utterly disgusted at the amount of arrogance our white money-hungry fat cats in the AFL industry get away with. The AFL is a sport propelled by collective passion and unity, not a place to condemn faithful individuals for their identity and allow stuck-up racist journalists and officials to inflict tyranny on our game.

Reflecting on this incident has reminded me of why I have invested in community football leagues in recent years because they aren't victim to this level of arrogance, corruption, and money hunger. I have undying love for the passion and spirit our fantastic game provides, but the imperfections of the current industry make me feel ashamed to be a fan of the AFL sometimes, especially now.

Massive respect to Adam Goodes and the decision he made and another big * you to the AFL.

For clarity, did you boo him against us or did you boo him because he did it against us and other sides? And did you boo him after one of those events you’re speaking of or did you just decide he deserved to be booed whenever you thought you’d like to boo him during a match?
I booed him every time he ducked and won a free, like I boo Selwood every time he does it and no doubt there will be a lot of booing on Thursday night.

blokes that play for frees are more often the ones supporters can’t stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back