Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

What a dumb sport where you can just cannon into a guy at 100 miles an hour, smash his jaw into pieces, actually not get the football at all and then have everyone defend you on the basis that you were 'going for the ball'.

What a dumb sport where you can just cannon into a guy at 100 miles an hour, smash his jaw into pieces, actually not get the football at all and then have everyone defend you on the basis that you were 'going for the ball'.

It’s clear that in the eyes and minds of the AFL concussion = bad any other head injury = cool man.

I was a bit torn on it because I firmly believe it wasn’t MacKay’s intention to cause the damage he did in what was a fairly common football incident and I don’t think he deserved to be made an example of but I’m conflicted because the AFL say intention isn’t an excuse it’s outcomes.

Also, my life experience tells me blokes who cry out for the good old days of biff in footy while they’re at the pub or at work or on the internet were genuine softcocks when they played.

Late to today's MacKay discourse. Personally, I was happy the incident went to the tribunal and am satisfied that he got off. Where there is ambiguity as to the lawfulness of a player's action that has left another with a serious injury, it should not be left up to one person, relying on limited evidence to determine.

The problem is that the tribunal has become more about setting the level of penalty, rather than determining whether there was an offence at all. That makes me uncomfortable in the level of discretion is gives to Christensen.

In a rare move, the AFL Players Association sent a submission to the tribunal claiming the match review officer had failed to discharge his duty, and that Hocking had misused his discretion in referring the incident. The AFLPA wanted the matter thrown out. This was rejected.

Seems some here are more concerned about "player welfare" than the AFLPA are....
If it was Danger on the end of that bump and not an ex team mate...

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
The best thing about this whole Mackay thing is how the entire country had no idea who the fu** he was

A mate and I have had a running team of spuds to play 150 games since the early 2000's. David Mensch has always been our captain. We may need to have a new selection meeting because I don't think MacKay has even been nominated yet he is so anonymous.

A mate and I have had a running team of spuds to play 150 games since the early 2000's. David Mensch has always been our captain. We may need to have a new selection meeting because I don't think MacKay has even been nominated yet he is so anonymous.
Will be the first AFL player to reach 300 games while part of a witness protection program.

Just about every other collision ball sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back