Not open for further replies.

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You know what the more I think of it, the Cotchin Priddis Woewoedin Triumvirate only serves to rightfully discredit the medal.
The AFL a body that changes rules as much as some people change underwear & yet the "highest individual honour" remains in the hands of dipsticks that cant even enforce rules consistently on-field let alone identify anything other than ball accumulating mids... yay!!

You know what the more I think of it, the Cotchin Priddis Woewoedin Triumvirate only serves to rightfully discredit the medal.

What's the strike rate? I'd say they get it right three times a decade.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
But the variables affecting the result of the award means it is sufficiently tainted to vacate it wholesale, which is what would have happened if they'd have won the flag.

I think "sufficiently tainted" is "how long's a piece of string" territory to be honest.

Also the premiership is a completely different kettle of fish. The runner-up doesn't get the crown because the existence of the cheating Premier compromises one whole side of the finals draw. For example the team that loses to Essendon in this hypothetical PF has just as much claim to the title as the GF runner-up, but for practical reasons it's not possible to ascertain a winner between the two teams (especially years later).

Since no winner can be fairly determined no one gets it.

That's not the case with an individual award like the Brownlow. Every player in the competition apart from those suspensed are still in the game.

I think "sufficiently tainted" is "how long's a piece of string" territory to be honest.

Also the premiership is a completely different kettle of fish. The runner-up doesn't get the crown because the existence of the cheating Premier compromises one whole side of the finals draw. For example the team that loses to Essendon in this hypothetical PF has just as much claim to the title as the GF runner-up, but for practical reasons it's not possible to ascertain a winner between the two teams (especially years later).

Since no winner can be fairly determined no one gets it.

That's not the case with an individual award like the Brownlow. Every player in the competition apart from those suspensed are still in the game.

Well, agree to disagree m8 xo

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
The AFL a body that changes rules as much as some people change underwear & yet the "highest individual honour" remains in the hands of dipsticks that cant even enforce rules consistently on-field let alone identify anything other than ball accumulating mids... yay!!

You'd be surprised how different you see the game. As a boundary I'm often at odds with some selections of the field umpires for votes. I seem to notice KPP and campaign that the bloke who kicked 5 goals/conceded nothing, or the line breaking winger deserves a vote more than the 3rd best midfield plodder.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

SureBuddy

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
In Cotchin's defence, he actually had a great year in 2012. It looked like he was going to continue on and break out to be one the leagues elite, instead he turned into a massive spud who can't handle the slightest of attention from a tagger.

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You'd be surprised how different you see the game. As a boundary I'm often at odds with some selections of the field umpires for votes. I seem to notice KPP and campaign that the bloke who kicked 5 goals/conceded nothing, or the line breaking winger deserves a vote more than the 3rd best midfield plodder.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk
Umpires in charge of the games highest individual award is ludicrous when you think about it, I don't GAF about the history of it when something is irrecoverably damaged you make a change.

Ha, didn't even think of that. Zaharakis?
That was my first thought. Surely he would have been the highest polling player of the clean 10 or 11. I think they had 45 on their list in 2012 but not sure.

The winner played an entire season where he was retrospectively ineligible to play.

This to me is the clincher.

It's so murky and complicated that the only real option was to have no Brownlow winner for that year.

Oct 1, 2014
NeverNevers
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-...d-not-conform-with-club-protocols-says-giants

It's not our club's fault Whitfield, Graeme Allan and player welfare manager Craig Lambert did these things. They did it on their own away from the club. Please don't fine us AFL or take much needed draft picks away from us because we are innocent and all of our staff do what they want outside of the club and we shouldn't take any responsibility for their actions in relation to club matters. Also we are a new club you pumped millions in promoting and setting up and to punish us would be punishing the AFL brand. Give me a ****ing break :rolleyes:

everyone knows the only award that counts is the aflca award. done by the coaches. in 2012 it was won by....

cotchin..

fk.

In all seriousness, there's a school of thought that the ultimate award - given the nature of in-house parameters and expectations on which it is judged combined with being deemed the best player in the best team - is to be named B&F in a Premiership year.

1990 - Tony Shaw
1991 - Ben Allan
1992 - Dean Kemp
1993 - Gary O'Donnell
1994 - Glen Jakovich
1995 - Brett Ratten
1996 - Wayne Carey
1997 - Andrew McLeod
1998 - Mark Ricciuto
1999 - Anthony Stevens
2000 - Dustin Fletcher
2001 - Michael Voss/Simon Black
2002 - Simon Black
2003 - Michael Voss
2004 - Warren Tredrea
2005 - Brett Kirk
2006 - Chris Judd
2007 - Gary Ablett Jnr
2008 - Friend Franklin
2009 - Gary Ablett Jnr/Corey Enright
2010 - Dane Swan
2011 - Corey Enright
2012 - Josh Kennedy
2013 - Josh Gibson
2014 - Jordan Lewis
2015 - Josh Gibson
2016 - Marcus Bontempelli

Looking over that list, there's not too many you could vehemently disagree with in terms of their maximum value to the year's best side.

Plenty of all-time greats and even a few stalwart defenders who are generally recognised for their importance but never at the rarified level of the top awards, such as the Brownlow. In particular, it's a fair nod to just how good Josh Gibson is. B&F for two-thirds of a threepeat.

Apr 7, 2013
Burn City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
In all seriousness, there's a school of thought that the ultimate award - given the nature of in-house parameters and expectations on which it is judged combined with being deemed the best player in the best team - is to be named B&F in a Premiership year.

1990 - Tony Shaw
1991 - Ben Allan
1992 - Dean Kemp
1993 - Gary O'Donnell
1994 - Glen Jakovich
1995 - Brett Ratten
1996 - Wayne Carey
1997 - Andrew McLeod
1998 - Mark Ricciuto
1999 - Anthony Stevens
2000 - Dustin Fletcher
2002 - Simon Black
2003 - Michael Voss
2004 - Warren Tredrea
2005 - Brett Kirk
2006 - Chris Judd
2007 - Gary Ablett Jnr
2008 - Friend Franklin
2010 - Dane Swan
2011 - Corey Enright
2012 - Josh Kennedy
2013 - Josh Gibson
2014 - Jordan Lewis
2015 - Josh Gibson

Looking over that list, there's not too many you could vehemently disagree with in terms of their maximum value to the year's best side.

Plenty of all-time greats and even a few stalwart defenders who are generally recognised for their importance but never at the rarified level of the top awards, such as the Brownlow. In particular, it's a fair nod to just how good Josh Gibson is. B&F for two-thirds of a threepeat.
The KPP recognising version of the "Best Player"

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs

1990 - Tony Shaw
1991 - Ben Allan
1992 - Dean Kemp
1993 - Gary O'Donnell
1994 - Glen Jakovich
1995 - Brett Ratten
1996 - Wayne Carey
1997 - Andrew McLeod
1998 - Mark Ricciuto
1999 - Anthony Stevens
2000 - Dustin Fletcher
2002 - Simon Black
2003 - Michael Voss
2004 - Warren Tredrea
2005 - Brett Kirk
2006 - Chris Judd
2007 - Gary Ablett Jnr
2008 - Friend Franklin
2010 - Dane Swan
2011 - Corey Enright
2012 - Josh Kennedy
2013 - Josh Gibson
2014 - Jordan Lewis
2015 - Josh Gibson

Great post and I totally agree. B&F in a premiership year is the highest individual honour in the game. It's worth recognition from the AFL imo

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
Alberton, the chosen land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-...d-not-conform-with-club-protocols-says-giants

It's not our club's fault Whitfield, Graeme Allan and player welfare manager Craig Lambert did these things. They did it on their own away from the club. Please don't fine us AFL or take much needed draft picks away from us because we are innocent and all of our staff do what they want outside of the club and we shouldn't take any responsibility for their actions in relation to club matters. Also we are a new club you pumped millions in promoting and setting up and to punish us would be punishing the AFL brand. Give me a ****ing break :rolleyes:

So the Giants will fight any attempts to strip them of draft picks?
From the above link : It has been reported the Giants will fight any attempts by the AFL to strip them of draft picks for their part in the episode.

Assuming the AFL would somehow find the balls to actually do it, how would the Giants stop them? After all, isn't it "the AFL giveth and the AFL taketh away" and they've done it to Carlton, Essendon and Adelaide in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back