Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such an entitled dickhead lol, the image of him sitting in Melbourne in lockdown watching on tv is absolutely fantastic.

74B101C8-91D1-45B8-BEF0-BDBE75D2549F.jpeg

TazD

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 29, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
McGuire on SEN now giving a sob story about what WA is missing out on by stopping his entry.

I'm sure the people of Perth are distraught that they will miss out on Eddie hosting episodes of Who Wants to be a Millionaire in their fair city during Grand Final week,
Lol, what was his argument?

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
Makes me think, does Cardone get a clearance as a club official? it means Cardone, Holly Ransom and Andrew Day are Melbourne based board members and Koch in Sydney will have to be defined as club officials to get an exemption if we make it. Darren Cahill after Wimbledon said he wont be coming back from USA Open as he would still be in quarantine for 25th september GF.
Why are any club or AFL people not essential to the staging of the game allowed in at all?

Was Gil at Adelaide Oval on Friday and Saturday nights?

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
McGuire on SEN now giving a sob story about what WA is missing out on by stopping his entry. ..
Missing out?

Eddie's sense of self-importance knows no bounds. He truly suffers from delusions of grandeur.

Apr 1, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The issue Geelong folk have is that it clearly isn’t personnel that’s been lacking for Scott, it’s game plan. They’re great in the regular season because they are so well drilled and disciplined but come elite pressure time the game plan doesn’t stack up.

Sounds awfully familiar…let’s hope Kenny can go one better this year.
I think Hinkley coached sides have always stacked up well in finals. He's either won or fallen agonisingly short in every final he's coached at Port. The only final where general game style could be said to have contributed to the loss was against Geelong in 2013, where lack of outside run and polish saw a 23 point half time lead blown away by a vastly more experienced team in the second half. Even then a spirited last gasp comeback kept it interesting. This was more a list problem that Hinkley quickly sought to rectify.

Sure, there may have been some poor coaching moves in other finals, but usually we have given a fairly good account of ourselves and losses have come down to small moments of player fallibility i.e. terrible inaccuracy in 2014 and 2017, or a Lycett meltdown and a Hartlett brainfade last year.

The frustrating and worrying aspects of the Hinkley reign have more been the inability to even qualify for finals despite clearly having a list that could challenge the best sides. We've either incomprehensibly blown it to miss out completely (2015,2018,2019) or qualified below where we should have (2014,2017). Now he's got us consistently in the top 2, let's hope the pressure increase he seems to instil in finals continues.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think Hinkley coached sides have always stacked up well in finals. He's either won or fallen agonisingly short in every final he's coached at Port. The only final where general game style could be said to have contributed to the loss was against Geelong in 2013, where lack of outside run and polish saw a 23 point half time lead blown away by a vastly more experienced team in the second half. Even then a spirited last gasp comeback kept it interesting. This was more a list problem that Hinkley quickly sought to rectify.

Sure, there may have been some poor coaching moves in other finals, but usually we have given a fairly good account of ourselves and losses have come down to small moments of player fallibility i.e. terrible inaccuracy in 2014 and 2017, or a Lycett meltdown and a Hartlett brainfade last year.

The frustrating and worrying aspects of the Hinkley reign have more been the inability to even qualify for finals despite clearly having a list that could challenge the best sides. We've either incomprehensibly blown it to miss out completely (2015,2018,2019) or qualified below where we should have (2014,2017). Now he's got us consistently in the top 2, let's hope the pressure increase he seems to instil in finals continues.
This isn't a bad post and I agree with a lot of it.

But small moments of player fallibility only come in to it in close games. There are games we should have put away beyond all shadow of a doubt, then moments like this don't matter (Wet Toast 2017 the most obvious one to come to mind).

Apr 1, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This isn't a bad post and I agree with a lot of it.

But small moments of player fallibility only come in to it in close games. There are games we should have put away beyond all shadow of a doubt, then moments like this don't matter (Wet Toast 2017 the most obvious one to come to mind).

Agreed, but in a final when both teams have come to play you are inevitably going to have games that go down to the wire.

Historically, Hinkley coached sides have got a terrible record in close ones, pointing toward an issue with holding up in those scenarios. But even that has seemed to improve this year.

If Port Adelaide win a Grand Final and Eddie McGuire wasn't there to see it, did it really happen?

What's the bet the AFL spend a stupid amount of money to replant a piece of MCG into Optus Stadium?
Diseased soil, we'll send them a sod from Alberton instead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Festerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2019
///comet.repair.export
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PAFC Maggies SANFL, ASU Sun Devils
Eddie's sense of self-importance knows no bounds. He truly suffers from delusions of grandeur.

Yep. And he has signalled that he would be able to quarantine in Tasmania and get entry to the Perth for the Grand Final that way if he really wanted to.

Has also suggested that the pre-Grand Final bye was actually his idea and that he 'hopes' the WA Government does not shut out all the expertise that resides in Melbourne to be able to put on a decent pre-Grand Final fortnight. What utter arrogance.

I expect tonight's Footy Classified of the usual Eddie McGuire pontification from the pulpit lecturing lesser mortals about what they should be doing to make the Grand Final fortnight a success. Expect the usual 'I have already spoken to Gil about this' line to make an appearance at least once as he floats ideas (such as holding all the awards functions such as the Rising Star and Hall of Fame in the Grand Final fortnight) that have actually been put forward by others, including from SA, many times in the past.

I truly hope WA puts on a Grand Final that is way ahead of anything the VFL has offered at the MCG over past decades. although I admit it will be hard for them to top Meatloaf as the headline act.

And getting a non Victorian club to come out Grand Final winners would be the icing on the cake!!

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yep. And he has signalled that he would be able to quarantine in Tasmania and get entry to the Perth for the Grand Final that way if he really wanted to.

Has also suggested that the pre-Grand Final bye was actually his idea and that he 'hopes' the WA Government does not shut out all the expertise that resides in Melbourne to be able to put on a decent pre-Grand Final fortnight. What utter arrogance.

I expect tonight's Footy Classified of the usual Eddie McGuire pontification from the pulpit lecturing lesser mortals about what they should be doing to make the Grand Final fortnight a success. Expect the usual 'I have already spoken to Gil about this' line to make an appearance at least once as he floats ideas (such as holding all the awards functions such as the Rising Star and Hall of Fame in the Grand Final fortnight) that have actually been put forward by others, including from SA, many times in the past.

I truly hope WA puts on a Grand Final that is way ahead of anything the VFL has offered at the MCG over past decades. although I admit it will be hard for them to top Meatloaf as the headline act.

And getting a non Victorian club to come out Grand Final winners would be the icing on the cake!!
So Kevin Sheedy invented football, and Eddie McGuire invented the pre-Grand Final bye!

All hail the Victorians ... Inventors of our Australian game!

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams

Why would anyone claim that the totally unnecessary pre-finals bye was their idea?

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Missing out?

I'm sure they'll really miss him banging on about VFL history and how the GF belongs at the "G".

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

They should get Beaverloop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back