Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Hinkley coached sides have always stacked up well in finals. He's either won or fallen agonisingly short in every final he's coached at Port. The only final where general game style could be said to have contributed to the loss was against Geelong in 2013, where lack of outside run and polish saw a 23 point half time lead blown away by a vastly more experienced team in the second half. Even then a spirited last gasp comeback kept it interesting. This was more a list problem that Hinkley quickly sought to rectify.

Sure, there may have been some poor coaching moves in other finals, but usually we have given a fairly good account of ourselves and losses have come down to small moments of player fallibility i.e. terrible inaccuracy in 2014 and 2017, or a Lycett meltdown and a Hartlett brainfade last year.

The frustrating and worrying aspects of the Hinkley reign have more been the inability to even qualify for finals despite clearly having a list that could challenge the best sides. We've either incomprehensibly blown it to miss out completely (2015,2018,2019) or qualified below where we should have (2014,2017). Now he's got us consistently in the top 2, let's hope the pressure increase he seems to instil in finals continues.

It's a fair point, Hinkley's finals record isn't horrible. Looking at active coaches there are only 5 who have a better win % in finals than in regular season (Beveridge, Clarkson, Hardwick, Goodwin and Cameron) whilst Fagan, Longmire, Ratten have significantly worse win %'s (greater than 25% worse). Simpson and Kenny are around even (slightly to the negative).

One of the top recruiting clubs in the AFL.

It's taken us winning 34 of 43 games but the footy world is finally waking up to the fact that we've assembled something of an all star team. Would've preferred us to go under the radar for another couple of weeks though, don't particularly like the pressure gauge increasing ...

Lol Rowey. “What a great leader Silvers is, going after big names to bolster our footy club..Balme, Burgess, Burgoyne” 🤣
Seriously mate that’s what ALL footy clubs do.
If Silvers was any good he'd be going after Kenny Hinkley.

The "he has to stay in Melbourne" bit really made me giggle, makes him sound like he's a school kid or something. This is amazing.

What a great year it's been for our man. Loses the presidency, Collingwood finish 17th, denied entry to the grand final for the first time in decades. A Port premiership and then approval to wear the PBs would really cap things off nicely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

[

Eddie and his sons being denied entry to WA is the best finals entertainment in AFL history!

His ego will now demand he find away around it, no matter the cost.

The "he has to stay in Melbourne" bit really made me giggle, makes him sound like he's a school kid or something. This is amazing.

What a great year it's been for our man. Loses the presidency, Collingwood finish 17th, denied entry to the grand final for the first time in decades. A Port premiership and then approval to wear the PBs would really cap things off nicely.

If we win the flag we need to chuck the PBs on in the rooms before the song

His ego will now demand he find away around it, no matter the cost.

He said he will appeal the decision.

“I would’ve thought, modesty aside, that I would’ve brought something to the atmosphere of what we were trying to do.”

This is the thinking behind anyone who has ever farted in a closed crowded room and got away with it.

Can we start referring to Eddie McGuire as host of Millionaire Hot Seat? If something like that ever caught on that would bruise the ego. Although with his track record I’m not convinced he has the capacity to feel embarrassment

[

Eddie and his sons being denied entry to WA is the best finals entertainment in AFL history!

suck s**t eddie

WA hates eastern staters and we aren't letting a grubby man like yourself steal a seat from us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back