Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 21

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol at the nuffies with no idea of Christine Holgate is (other than a fleeting reference to Cartier watches) commenting on her business management abilities. She is a great CEO and would be great for the AFL. I am not sure if she will the best as I don't know about other candidates. But she would be more than suitable. At least she's got a spine, not like the current CEO.
Wayne Jackson was right when 18 years ago he said footy is too much of a business to be run just as a sport, and is too much of a sport to be run just as a business.

The CEO of the AFL competition should be run by a CEO that has some experience in club land and have a board/commission of business heavyweights. But IMO the Commission should be split in 2 and have Custodial Commissioners who look after the game and Competition Commissioners who look after the AFL 18 team competition.

A set up like the Euro soccer model where the Football Association look after the game at all levels and national teams, and a company is set up to run the biggest national league and other companies are set up to run the 2nd and 3rd biggest leagues, with shares being allocated and removed as relegation happens.

There is no oversight of the AFL and it rides roughshod over the clubs, especially if a club does something the AFL doesn't like. The Boys Club book lays it all out. Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely, and the AFL executive team have had absolute practical power since Demetriou got the Commission to hand over most of the power to the executive team in the early '00's.

If Holgate was prepared to be a CEO who was going to cause this restructure, then she probably could do the job given her background at Telstra, Blackmores and Auspost. But I doubt she has even thought about these issues.

If the AFL isn't going to reform, then I'd prefer an ex CEO of a club, Brian Cook or Brendon Gale to be CEO for a few years. They understand the clubs and what makes them tick better than any of the AFL executives or a business person, even one who has spent some time on a club board.

Last edited:

RORY Lobb's potential move to Greater Western Sydney is now off.

The Fremantle big man, who has two years to run on his deal there, has committed to returning to the Dockers after his interest in joining the Giants.

The AFL is investigating claims former player agent Ricky Nixon allegedly sold forged memorabilia commemorating Melbourne’s breakthrough premiership while purporting to raise funds for charity.
Nixon sold footballs said to feature the autographs of Demon premiership players, advertising them on his Facebook page after last month’s grand final.

However, The Age has spoken to four Dees fans, who purchased one or more of the balls from Nixon, all of whom believe the signatures have been forged.
Nixon advertised the balls for $575 each plus $20 postage.

At least 20 Melbourne supporters are said to have taken up the offer from Nixon, who claimed that at least some of the funds were going to charity.

The AFL is investigating claims former player agent Ricky Nixon allegedly sold forged memorabilia commemorating Melbourne’s breakthrough premiership while purporting to raise funds for charity.
Nixon sold footballs said to feature the autographs of Demon premiership players, advertising them on his Facebook page after last month’s grand final.

However, The Age has spoken to four Dees fans, who purchased one or more of the balls from Nixon, all of whom believe the signatures have been forged.

At least 20 Melbourne supporters are said to have taken up the offer from Nixon, who claimed that at least some of the funds were going to charity.

A guys got to make a living 😂

Lol why is this slime still allowed within 100m of a school? Or a football?

Oh oh, never change Ricky 🙄
At least it can’t be spun as “former PAFC” Ricky Nixon

Oh oh, never change Ricky 🙄
At least it can’t be spun as “former PAFC” Ricky Nixon
Ricky Nixon, who once managed a player linked to a trade to Port Power, ....

I was watching an old game from 2014 and the current state of things has effected my way of viewing: Jay Schulz lining up for goal; back in the day I always sat easy whenever he had a shot at goal, confident that if he wasn't attempting a checkside that he'd kick it; now I sit and watch worried/feeling he's going to miss, on a game played 7years ago!
Dixon and our current goal kicking has f***ed with my mind.

The body work and variation of ways to mark the ball that Schulz had (on top of his kicking once he did) are a class above Dixon. Love Dixon but despite his power he isn't as good of a forward. Maybe if Bassett knew how to improve structure to play more to Charlie's strengths it would be a closer contest but his set shot taking has obviously been a significant issue if it has traumatised me the way it has.

I was watching an old game from 2014 and the current state of things has effected my way of viewing: Jay Schulz lining up for goal; back in the day I always sat easy whenever he had a shot at goal, confident that if he wasn't attempting a checkside that he'd kick it; now I sit and watch worried/feeling he's going to miss, on a game played 7years ago!

The body work and variation of ways to mark the ball that Schulz had (on top of his kicking once he did) are a class above Dixon. Love Dixon but despite his power he isn't as good of a forward. Maybe if Bassett knew how to improve structure to play more to Charlie's strengths it would be a closer contest but his set shot taking has obviously been a significant issue if it has traumatised me the way it has.
Because dixon plays like a basketball centre with poor eyes in an AFL team, he's not a natural footballer where as Schulz had all the tricks in the book because he actually was a true old fashioned footballer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like a Ports' game.

He isn’t wrong though, is he? Despite coming short a number of times the cats have done a great job of remaining a contender for all but 2-3 of the last 18 years.

He is probably referring to clubs like Carlton and Essendon that have banked a number of first round picks only to remain terrible.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
He isn’t wrong though l, is he? Despite coming short a number of times the cats have done a great job of remaining a contender for all but 2-3 of the last 18 years.

He is probably referring to clubs like carton and Essendon that have banked a number of first round picks only to remain terrible.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep. I've been doing some stats with GremioPower re Preliminary Finals. They are as tough to win as grand finals. They are the games where real footy fans of the competing have their last chance to get to see their team as less than half of them can make it to the GF if they win.

The streaks:

North Melbourne played in PF 6 years in a row when single PFs were played between 1974-79 for 2 flags. The Hawthorn side of the 1980's played in 7 GF's but only played in 3, all in a row 1985-87.

North played in 7 PF's in a row when double PF were introduced, between 1994-2000 for 2 flags.

Geelong have played in PF's in 2007-11, 2013, 2016-17, 2019-21. That's 11 out of 15 seasons for 3 flags. Finished 3rd in 2014 and went out in straight sets.

Hawthorn played in 5 in a row 2011-15, then out in straight sets after finished 3rd in 2016.
Collingwood played in 4 in a row between 2009-12.

Sure as a fan you would be pissed off playing in a lot of them and not winning them and not winning flags, but if you want your club to be financially healthy and continue to attract free agents and other players to your club who want to play in finals and maybe win it, then the Geelong route is the way to go.

Since the double PF was introduced in 1994

Geelong...... played in 14, won 7 lost 7, for 3 flags
North.......... played in 10, won 3 lost 7, for 2 flags - Last two came from 6th and 8th.
Collingwood. played in 9, won 5 lost 4 for 1 flag
Sydney........ played in 8, won 6 lost 2, for 2 flags
Hawthorn.... played in 7, won 5 lost 2, for 4 flags
Port Adelaide played in 7, won 2 lost 5 for 1 flag
Adelaide...... played in 7, won 3 lost 4 for 2 flags
Bulldogs....... played in 7, won 2 lost 5 for 1 flag
Brisbane...... played in 7, won 4 lost 3 for 3 flags
West Coast... played in 6, won 5 lost 1 for 3 flags
Richmond..... played in 6, won 3 lost 3 for 3 flags
St Kilda....... played in 6, won 3 lost 3 for 0 flags

Melbourne 5, Essendon 4, Carlton 3, Freo 3, GWS 3.

Last edited:
Apparently narcissistic campaigner Clarkson has travelled to the USA. I assume this means someone in federal government has deemed his trip to be essential work, despite being unemployed. I cannot stand the current inconsistencies being dished up by our federal government.

Apparently narcissistic campaigner Clarkson has travelled to the USA. I assume this means someone in federal government has deemed his trip to be essential work, despite being unemployed. I cannot stand the current inconsistencies being dished up by our federal government.
He might be going there to study, work or relocating for a few months. I know of people that have gone to the US for a few months. Not sure what the exact rules are, but it can be done.

He might be going there to study, work or relocating for a few months. I know of people that have gone to the US for a few months. Not sure what the exact rules are, but it can be done.

You wont be able to convince me it wasn't his profile that got his travel approval over the line. Probably gone to study how the NBA season starts and the NFL season finishes. w***er.

i would guess he will learn a lot about how to conduct yourself as the manager/'face' of a new franchise, assuming it's all for Tasmania. even if it's for GWS/GC they are still in a similar boat anyway, crying out for a legacy manager to build a decade of history around. the league knows by now it's a long difficult task to set up a healthy membership base and such with a new team so they'd be looking to fast-track it and do a much better job than recently. quite an obscene scenario, where the league is pushing it's best coach away from the game for a full season in preparation for one of their expansion franchises - though i'm sure that's happened with big managers somewhere else in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back