Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
"briztoon, post: 50168549, member: 168593"]Ballenden was played out of position a bit, in defence which he's not suited to, in a couple of the games that he played. Dan Merrett was on our fan podcast this week, and he has a bit to do with our academy, and he mentioned about playing kids out of their normal positions to "hide" them from opposition scouts. This was mainly in reference to a highly rated KPD (Jack Payne) in our academy.

Will be interesting to see where our kids who are picked in the Allies team are played, and if a couple are picked more on their reputation than current form.

Depending on how high Ballenden is rated and bid on, he could be chewing up the pick we traded in from Port and a fair chunk of our 2nd round pick as well. From a fans perspective, it will be better if Ballenden is bid on after the pick we get from Port. So two first round picks, plus Ballenden and Payne would be a good result for us.

You've got a couple of highly rated kids in your academy for next year I believe."

Someone posted this on the d + t board.

If that dan Merrett guy is involved with the academy as Briztoon suggests I would call that an admittance of draft tampering. I don't think they mean actually 'hiding' players as scouts know they exist but referencing hiding their ability or growth by playing them out of position. Whether it's true or not we can only guess but playing your best key forward prospect (ballendon) in every place but as a key forward looks pretty suss and would get the desired effect of driving down bids for a player if teams can't be sure how a key forward has developed in their draft year. He comments on jack Payne being played out of position too.

If anything it just highlights how these academies can be openly manipulated.

Edit: posters have now clarified the comments were made tongue in cheek.

Mod note: Part 4

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back