Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that it's become a national topic for all the wrong reasons and has created a social media storm gets me thinking if he wasn't from a certain background, people would've moaned a lot less, complained half-heartedly about the lenient decision and moved on. But it certainly felt like some self-righteous people were hanging for this decision just so they can use this as their political argument to show that certain minorities are being "over-protected"
I absolutely disagree. If it had been Selwood or Hodge or any other player in fact there would still have been outrage at the 'good character' references used in an attempt to lessen the sanction.

Bachar Houli is about the only player at Richmond who I don't think is a campaigner, but Bachar himself was the one who brought his religion into it at the tribunal. He did kind of bring it on himself. That's certainly not to say that I agree with the Islamophobes, but if he'd just taken his punishment and moved on there'd be nothing for the Islamophobes to get angry about.

If it was me I would've rather missed the extra game or two than put myself out for the predictable public backlash.
It would be like Greenwood bringing his Christianity as a defence in defending an on field action. It's exactly the same thing.

I absolutely disagree. If it had been Selwood or Hodge or any other player in fact there would still have been outrage at the 'good character' references used in an attempt to lessen the sanction.

Selwood and Hodge don't need to bring in character references, they have the entire Channels 7 and 9 media boys clubs to do it for them.

It would be like Greenwood bringing his Christianity as a defence in defending an on field action. It's exactly the same thing.

In a way yes, but nobody's ever called Hugh Greenwood a terrorist because he shares the same religion as the guy who blew up an abortion clinic.

Houli's absolutely copping it worse on social media than a Christian, Hindu, Buddhist or whatever would cop for doing the same thing. It's not fair, but it is entirely predictable. I'm sure Bachar of all people is self-aware enough to know what was coming. Which makes you wonder whether having him available for the Round 17 home game against Brisbane was really worth it.

Last edited:

Not only that, he used his belief system as a defense. It's fine he has one, we should all respect it but you can use it as a defense.

Imagine if I'd done the same thing and used ' yeah but I'm a pacifist" or " I'm Swiss, we're neutral we don't hurt anyone. It's very out of character"

The only thing to be used in this instance is his impeccable record at junior and senior level which is a good reason to reduce the sentence IMO. Although 2 weeks isn't enough for intentionally hitting someone and them getting KO'd.

In a way yes, but nobody's ever called Hugh Greenwood a terrorist because he shares his religion with the guy who blew up an abortion clinic.

Hugh is too busy in his role as "Van Berlo on meth" to ever become a terrorist threat. Doctor Feel

I think you guys are missing the bigger picture here. We are such an evolved country now that a Muslim has been granted membership to the Good Blokes Club. In the past, this was only limited to white Victorians. I see this as a victory for social justice.

But is he a Victorian Muslim playing for a big club?

Sent from mTalk

Selwood and Hodge don't need to bring in character references, they have the entire Channels 7 and 9 media boys clubs to do it for them.

In a way yes, but nobody's ever called Hugh Greenwood a terrorist because he shares the same religion as the guy who blew up an abortion clinic.

Houli's absolutely copping it worse on social media than a Christian, Hindu, Buddhist or whatever would cop for doing the same thing. It's not fair, but it is entirely predictable. I'm sure Bachar of all people is self-aware enough to know what was coming. Which makes you wonder whether having him available for the Round 17 home game against Brisbane was really worth it.
There are some total morons on social media for sure.

Nah, there would have been a bit of outrage over a "good bloke" discount given to Duckwood or Lou Codge but using the fact that he is a Muslim to bestow himself with "good bloke" status was always going to result in far more outrage against Houli than other good blokes because "Muslim". As I posted above, being an openly devout high profile Muslim living in Australia Houli should have been well aware of the shitstorm this would create. I'm definitely not saying that the level of outrage is justified.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is Walker taking a pay cut to try and keep Lever at the Crows a good thing?

Surely the onus should be on the unproven Lever!? and not the captain.

Walker has taken a paycut like Chris Grant stayed with the Bulldogs for 20c.

He'll have his contract structured to suit a decent offer being made to McGovern and/or Lever. It makes for heartwarming reading though.

Why is Walker taking a pay cut to try and keep Lever at the Crows a good thing?

Surely the onus should be on the unproven Lever!? and not the captain.
Yep, if they'd bought in, there'd be no need to do this. They aren't a Geelong or Hawks coming off flags, to have all take less than market value to keep a greater number of proven stars together.

Nah, there would have been a bit of outrage over a "good bloke" discount given to Duckwood or Lou Codge but using the fact that he is a Muslim to bestow himself with "good bloke" status was always going to result in far more outrage against Houli than other good blokes because "Muslim". As I posted above, being an openly devout high profile Muslim living in Australia Houli should have been well aware of the shitstorm this would create. I'm definitely not saying that the level of outrage is justified.
Funny, but I don't feel that at all as I have a fair few muslim friends. Perhaps you are right about some gutless internet trolls though. To me this is just about the 'good bloke' thing.

They're just putting public pressure on Lever and McGovern while building them up to be villains if they leave. Normal media for them.
And they never get why it backfires. They'll keep Lever and McGovern though. Paying through the nose, so it restricts their ability to chase talent from elsewhere. It's easy to put down a lack of success there to a myriad of reasons. Few of the customers will connect the dots that being so desperate to not have yet more high profile exodusses has cost them somewhere else.

That's what I reckon too. It serves them well to put pressure on the others and to elevate Tex's goodness from good bloke to God mode. He's likely accepted 20k less and some added on to the end of his contact, if at all. The only reason it is being promoted or leaked in the media is for the 2 reasons I stated.

And they never get why it backfires. They'll keep Lever and McGovern though. Paying through the nose, so it restricts their ability to chase talent from elsewhere. It's easy to put down a lack of success there to a myriad of reasons. Few of the customers will connect the dots that being so desperate to not have yet more high profile exodusses has cost them somewhere else.

Jerker Jenkins was their Hartlett x 10

Walker has taken a paycut like Chris Grant stayed with the Bulldogs for 20c.

He'll have his contract structured to suit a decent offer being made to McGovern and/or Lever. It makes for heartwarming reading though.
Was just talking to a Crows supporter and apparently Andrew Jarman has got a scoop from a very reliable source that The Big Texan™ has taken a pay cut so that the Crows can pay Dustin Martin $1M a season.

If Tahlah was still under contract until the end of 2019 why did he need to sign a new contract on less money to allow the Crows to throw the kitchen sink at any player. Surely he could just agree in principle to taking a pay cut on the proviso that the other player(s) signed? He wouldn't have to sign off on a new contract until the other contracts were also signed.

All sounds like typical AFC spin.

Last edited:
They're just putting public pressure on Lever and McGovern while building them up to be villains if they leave. Normal media for them.

I reckon that scenario looks worse on the crows than it does the players. It would speak volumes if they threw the kitchen sink at them and they still left regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back