Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 5 - Cont. in Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm torn between criticising Melbourne players for being snowflakes or criticising Goodwin for basing his coaching style off of the sergeant from Full Metal Jacket and thinking that will achieve results in current year.

It's probably somewhere in between TBH. whycantwehaveboth.jpg

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
If Hawthorn didn't luck out by running in to the Aints for their second flag they could have ended up a nothing club on par with Norf and the Dogs

Sent from mTalk

Visenfest

Chasing stability
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm torn between criticising Melbourne players for being snowflakes or criticising Goodwin for basing his coaching style off of the sergeant from Full Metal Jacket and thinking that will achieve results in current year.

It's probably somewhere in between TBH. whycantwehaveboth.jpg
I'm just happy that at some point we'll be adding Goodwin to the extensive list of failed Melbourne coaches. He won't get them to a premiership :)

Power Girl

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I have what is bordering on a pathological dislike for that smug piece of s**t, Goodwin. The daydream of Melbourne never amounting to anything and just missing out always whilst he is in charge would bring me untold joy. I also would like to think that there is some sort of justice in the universe and it would be fitting that the cheating scum that he is would actually never prosper.

Go Melbourne players keep protesting. Delightful.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That’s got to wreck coach / player trust. Did the players go to Goodwin with their concerns firstly? If not the coach has lost the players. If they did and it was planned to go ahead anyway, either Goodwin wasn’t able to sell the benefits or the players still looked to bypass the coach. There’s no way you can’t take this as a critical split before the new season.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
That’s got to wreck coach / player trust. Did the players go to Goodwin with their concerns firstly? If not the coach has lost the players. If they did and it was planned to go ahead anyway, either Goodwin wasn’t able to sell the benefits or the players still looked to bypass the coach. There’s no way you can’t take this as a critical split before the new season.
As I posted in the Watts Makes Powerful Move thread in response to an article Robb wrote, maybe the problem at Melbourne is the coach not being able to get the best out of players such as Watts. This latest episode shows just what a circus their coaching is and as you say, there seems to be a split between the players and Goodwin.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's not a good look, that's for sure.

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There’s been rumblings about the Melbourne players hating Goodwin for a while now. Maybe they disagree with the way in which he demands certain standards from them while not maintaining similar standards himself. Kind of how Graham Johncock was sanctioned by the crows leadership group for a drinking episode when certain players in that leadership group (Goodwin among them) weren’t exactly angels off field themselves.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
IMG_3472.JPG

That smug expression.

Amarula

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Western suburbs (Melb)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Indomitable Lions
As I posted in the Watts Makes Powerful Move thread in response to an article Robb wrote, maybe the problem at Melbourne is the coach not being able to get the best out of players such as Watts. This latest episode shows just what a circus their coaching is and as you say, there seems to be a split between the players and Goodwin.
Well, his supposed lack of something during that commando camp last season was one of their main justifications for delisting Jack Watts. So their loss is our gain.
Might be well worth having a word in Salem's ear at some stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This pretty much sums it up. Unless anyone here happened to play for Melbourne last year we don’t know whether the issue is Goodwin being too hard on the players or the players being too soft. But either way it shows a disconnect between players and coach, which isn’t something you want ever, let alone before that coach’s second season has even started.

But anyway it’s good to see that clearing out Jack Watts has fixed up Melbourne’s culture once and for all. Just like GC’s culture was fixed forever by trading out Charlie Dixon.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
This pretty much sums it up. Unless anyone here happened to play for Melbourne last year we don’t know whether the issue is Goodwin being too hard on the players or the players being too soft. But either way it shows a disconnect between players and coach, which isn’t something you want ever, let alone before that coach’s second season has even started.

But anyway it’s good to see that clearing out Jack Watts has fixed up Melbourne’s culture once and for all. Just like GC’s culture was fixed forever by trading out Charlie Dixon.

We could fix some other clubs once and for all too, if they are interested, couldn't we?

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
With our record of success, I wouldn't be worried watching Sloane crossing the Great Adelaide Divide...
Sloane is only going to leave the Crows to return to Melbourne. He is never, ever going to leave the Crows to come to Ports.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Sloane is only going to leave the Crows to return to Melbourne. He is never, ever going to leave the Crows to come to Ports.

That's precisely why I've used him as example; someone so "homesick" that wouldn't change his current address after leaving...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back