Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unlikely to be hearing this bloke on ABC radio footy broadcasts this coming season...

AFL premiership hero Shannon Grant facing assault charges

FORMER North Melbourne champion Shannon Grant has been charged with 18 offences, including assault and criminal damage, following an alleged violent attack on a woman in Victoria late last year.

Police attended the 40 year-old's Highett home in Melbourne’s south-east, where he was arrested and charged by Sandringham police over a December 17 incident.

Separately, Queensland police want to speak with the 1999 Norm Smith medallist and AFL premiership hero regarding another assault, on the same woman, in Queensland in recent months.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/a...on-grant-facing-assault-charges-ng-b88743918z

He wanted to come home and no one bit so now he feels trapped is my guess.

Who couldn't see this coming? It's Cam McCarthy all over again.

I get clubs don't want to be held to ransom and would feel like relenting could open the door to exploitation, but gosh. This situation doesn't end well for anyone.

Who couldn't see this coming? It's Cam McCarthy all over again.

I get clubs don't want to be held to ransom and would feel like relenting could open the door to exploitation, but gosh. This situation doesn't end well for anyone.

Players want to return to their home state yet sign contract extensions. Essendon are in the right here *shudders*

Outright or at the price Essendon were asking?

I reckon both clubs would have been interested at DFA price or a late pick.

Knowing Dodoro he would have asked for the pick they got him for in the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon both clubs would have been interested at DFA price or a late pick.

Knowing Dodoro he would have asked for the pick they got him for in the draft.

Francis signed on until the end of 2019. Dodoro can rightly ask for whatever he wants. Literally Cam McCarthy MkII.

From what I've heard, Aaron Francis has been struggling with his brother's death over the past few years (he died from cancer in 2014, he was only 18 and passed away just a few days after being diagnosed), combined with the demands of being a professional athlete, this is something much bigger than footy.

I heard he grew up an Essendon supporter too, but if he wants out and wants to return to SA at the end of the season and we can get him for a reasonable price (i.e. a future second rounder), we should do it.

Last edited:
I think in time Francis will turn out a pretty good player, but not the highest of our priorities in terms of list needs and we had irons in a few other fires during the trade period.

I can't blame Essendon too much in not wanting to lose him for essentially stuff all at this point, in their situation I'd have been keen to work with him over the course of the year then see how he feels / is developing at the end of that. Any club worth their salt has to back themselves to get the best out of their people (particularly young kids growing up), occasionally you'll get burnt by that as we saw with McCarthy and I guess Schache to an extent but you have to try.

Fairly sure Francis signed a contract extension well after his brother died.
And he may have thought he could cope with it, plus the demands of AFL away from family at the time, but since it became apparent he couldn’t. I’m not in favour of players being able to bail out mid-contract, cracking the shits like McCarthy if not traded. However the death of a family member is a legitimate reason to want back near family.

I’m glad Port did it’s best to get Impey home smoothly. Given we’ve had a few players in the AFL who’ve lost a parent pre us drafting them, it speaks to our strength as a supportive club, that none have felt the need to leave. However if we ever had the situation where one did, I’d be surprised if we tried to hold them to a contract (or ask a Dodo like ridiculous price to trade that’s effectively the same). Also I’d be disappointed.

I don’t think I would be. It speaks to both Essendon and their supporter base on how they differ in view from Port and our fan base. Though after Essendons actions this decade, I’m not at all surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back