Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right, it is harsh but it was necessary to demonstrate key differences in circumstance between Francis and Impey and to provide a rationale for why a compassionate break of contract can be viewed differently between the players.

To be clear, I agree that player welfare is paramount. No argument from me. However, there does seem to be an unwritten belief that a homesick or depressed contracted player is entitled to switch to an AFL club of their choosing for a trade considered significantly below market value. That's 1 step too far for me. There are pragmatic limits to club goodwill which would be impacted by circumstance and trade opportunity. Fortunately for Port we were able to accommodate Impey's request for something nearing market value. Sometimes a player finds themselves in a position where they just have to sit a year out because they signed a contract they regret signing.

It's a fairly safe bet that Francis will find his way to Port or Crows for 2019.
Forza, you wont let it go. There was enough talk end of last year to indicate that this young fella was having serious issues, and needed to come home! Unless you know more, suggesting that his was your average homesickness is incorrect. This current development confirms that. This could have been avoided! Francis could have received necessary help, and might very well be playing in a healthy environment. Instead now he has to sit out the game, and in some cases this inactivity can be seriously detrimental! I have family members that attempted suicide, and mate, this is not a game! If there are mental health issues, then Essendon had a duty of care! Forcing the kid to stick to his contract might have been within their legal rights, but IMO was morally wrong.

Forza, you wont let it go. There was enough talk end of last year to indicate that this young fella was having serious issues, and needed to come home! Unless you know more, suggesting that his was your average homesickness is incorrect. This current development confirms that. This could have been avoided! Francis could have received necessary help, and might very well be playing in a healthy environment. Instead now he has to sit out the game, and in some cases this inactivity can be seriously detrimental! I have family members that attempted suicide, and mate, this is not a game! If there are mental health issues, then Essendon had a duty of care! Forcing the kid to stick to his contract might have been within their legal rights, but IMO was morally wrong.

If you believe Essendon's actions were morally wrong, that's your opinion. No argument from me.

Consider the following though:
- Francis' manager Doughty is on record as saying it was Francis' "preference" to return to SA during the trade period, there was no public indication at the time that Francis was willing to take extended leave.
- I never suggested Francis' homesickness was the average, just that his particular circumstance is different to that of Impey and more in line with that of McCarthy.
- The only way this situation could have been avoided was for Essendon to accept a significantly below market trade as Port and Crows showed little interest. Arguably, Port and Crows are culpable as both clubs apparently did little to facilitate a trade, perhaps morally wrong as well?
- Francis will be able to receive help in SA and I don't doubt he'll be given permission to play footy at state level so I disagree that he has to sit out the game.

If you believe Essendon's actions were morally wrong, that's your opinion. No argument from me.

Consider the following though:
- Francis' manager Doughty is on record as saying it was Francis' "preference" to return to SA during the trade period, there was no public indication at the time that Francis was willing to take extended leave.
- I never suggested Francis' homesickness was the average, just that his particular circumstance is different to that of Impey and more in line with that of McCarthy.
- The only way this situation could have been avoided was for Essendon to accept a significantly below market trade as Port and Crows showed little interest. Arguably, Port and Crows are culpable as both clubs apparently did little to facilitate a trade, perhaps morally wrong as well?
- Francis will be able to receive help in SA and I don't doubt he'll be given permission to play footy at state level so I disagree that he has to sit out the game.

Forza you were right on Trump so arguing with you makes me uneasy but

I think in time Francis will turn out a pretty good player, but not the highest of our priorities in terms of list needs and we had irons in a few other fires during the trade period.

I can't blame Essendon too much in not wanting to lose him for essentially stuff all at this point, in their situation I'd have been keen to work with him over the course of the year then see how he feels / is developing at the end of that. Any club worth their salt has to back themselves to get the best out of their people (particularly young kids growing up), occasionally you'll get burnt by that as we saw with McCarthy and I guess Schache to an extent but you have to try.
I prefer the way we handled ourselves with Impey to the way Dodoro and our neighbours go about it. It's possible that Francis is the one we almost landed but didn't get done due to lack of suitable picks (Dodoro would have wanted our first 2 picks at least) and time ( we know how Dodoro works) Ah well, he wasn't our top priority and not many clubs will be willing to give good picks away for him this year with the quality of the draft.
Huge LOL...

Former Gold Coast Suns players Henry Schade, Daniel Gorringe depart Balwyn after Rodney Eade hired as coach
BALWYN will be without two of its marquee recruits for the season after former AFL players Daniel Gorringe and Henry Schade walked out on the club. The former Gold Coast teammates have not trained at the Eastern Football League powerhouse since Rodney Eade replaced Marty Pask as coach.

https://goo.gl/AjrDgz

Daniel Gorringe ....
CH4CKFjUMAA6iow.jpg:large
blimey!! We dodged a couple of bullets a while back.. with Eade and with Gorringe

Last edited:
Forza you were right on Trump so arguing with you makes me uneasy but

I’m often wrong, give me a better argument and/or better data and I’ll likely agree with you.

I understand it feels wrong, I get the moral side of it. I do genuinely feel for Francis and wish him well. At the same time I’m understanding of Essendon’s situation. It’s ****ed for both sides.

Was it Eade that wanted the coaching job without having to go through the selection process?
Pretty much. He was worried if he went for it and missed out, given he already had a cushy well paid footy ops job at Collingwood.

Pretty much. He was worried if he went for it and missed out, given he already had a cushy well paid footy ops job at Collingwood.

I'm very content that I was wrong about Eade

I'm very content that I was wrong about Eade
So am I. I wanted Eade because I didnt want another P-plate coach given where we were and then J-Mac died I knew that was going to be traumatic for the players and club and thought a wise old head was needed.

Given the choice to help their player out for the “horrific cost” of not getting much in return, Essendon chose the selfish path.

The fact that they’d just been given a pretty big leg up from the AFL after cheating makes it all the more galling.

If no one wanted him then that’s fine, it’s entirely unfortunate. I’m going to assume Essendon acted as they always have though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forget Gorringe for a moment though Rocket is loathed by about everyone he ever coached

Have had good conversations with Suns player. Basically he said:

- Bluey was well respected and there was no indication that he would be sacked given to players

- Bluey was more lenient but had fantastic 1 to 1 relationships with players and got a lot out of them

- Eade's coaching technique was 'yell and if that doesnt work yell louder' type idea that all the players had 0 respect for. When you're giving sprays all the time players stop giving a s**t

- Rocket had 0 game day tactical nuance but ignored his assistant coaches and alienated them completely.

This was a year out from being sacked as well. The players felt betrayed by the sacking of Bluey and part of reason many have apparently left - including Dixon.

Wouldn't be surprised if Francis was asked to sign a contract with Essendon saying they would work a trade for him but they just wanted to get "fair" value.

Eade is still bitter we dumped him for Hinkley and then informed him via text, which is evident by the way his media proxy, Greg Denham, continues to pot us at every opportunity.
Am I right thinking Eade wouldn't publicly nominate or confirm he applied for the job? Got what he deserved.

Have had good conversations with Suns player. Basically he said:

- Bluey was well respected and there was no indication that he would be sacked given to players

- Bluey was more lenient but had fantastic 1 to 1 relationships with players and got a lot out of them

- Eade's coaching technique was 'yell and if that doesnt work yell louder' type idea that all the players had 0 respect for. When you're giving sprays all the time players stop giving a s**t

- Rocket had 0 game day tactical nuance but ignored his assistant coaches and alienated them completely.

This was a year out from being sacked as well. The players felt betrayed by the sacking of Bluey and part of reason many have apparently left - including Dixon.

I just want to add one more thing to this that should be mentioned.

- He said that the sacking of McKenna ******* CRUSHED the players. They were really really positive after their 2014 season, despite narrowly missing finals they all felt there were great signs moving on. The players knew there were flaws in facets of the club (s**t facilities and medical staff) but felt like they were on a solid trajectory.

Suddenly McKenna was gone and there was bullshit about the players needing tough love so Eade was brought in and blindsided everyone and faith internally dwindled.

Ok I'm done.

So am I. I wanted Eade because I didnt want another P-plate coach given where we were and then J-Mac died I knew that was going to be traumatic for the players and club and thought a wise old head was needed.
I thought exactly the same thing at the time. Little did we know probably Ken's best attribute is his ability to build relationships with his players.

Speaking of the :goldcoast:

THREE months into training with his new club, Aaron Young says moving to Gold Coast has rejuvenated his career.

The athletic half-forward was traded by Port Adelaide to the Suns during the off-season after 76 games in seven seasons with the Power.

And just days before debuting in new colours in Saturday's AFLX matches, Young says the change is just what he needed.

"I just feel a bit rejuvenated," he said.

"It's a fresh opportunity. After seven years at one club I was maybe getting a bit stale and getting comfortable.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-14/i-feel-rejuvenated-suns-happy-new-horizon

Speaking of the :goldcoast:

THREE months into training with his new club, Aaron Young says moving to Gold Coast has rejuvenated his career.

The athletic half-forward was traded by Port Adelaide to the Suns during the off-season after 76 games in seven seasons with the Power.

And just days before debuting in new colours in Saturday's AFLX matches, Young says the change is just what he needed.
"I just feel a bit rejuvenated," he said.
"It's a fresh opportunity. After seven years at one club I was maybe getting a bit stale and getting comfortable.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-14/i-feel-rejuvenated-suns-happy-new-horizon
There are those two words again .. getting comfortable .. don't think any player will be comfortable this year .. too many fighting to get in the team..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back