Port Melbourne VFLW 2022 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

I think she is just physically immature. I think she will be a slow burn. Was she the right pick? Probably given we got Yassir as well anyway. She has some great raw attributes, has good footy IQ, but the up tick in pace and physicality is/will take her weeks to adjust to. She'll be better next year for sure.
Hope so , funny comp to read though AFLW and I prob put it down to improving std ,,,few players have stepped up over the journey , branc Dempsey miller Seymour come to mind many more haven’t . Here’s hoping she can improve

yeah "slow burn" is an apt summation
Reid & Yassir weren't drafted for now, more like in a few years

Yassir is up for the hurley-burley, she has the smarts, the skill and the body for it already. They are so different.

Yassir is up for the hurley-burley, she has the smarts, the skill and the body for it already. They are so different.

Yassir also had that confidence as soon as she lined up for her first game whilst some others take a bit of time to find their feet.

Port Melbourne
FB [1] Olivia Barton, [2] Kate Dudley, [3] Lucy De Gleria Cade
HB [5] Hannah Fosbrooke, [6] Lisa Davie, [7] Rebecca Niclasen
C [10] Sophie Locke, [12] Nayely Borg, [16] Beth Wilson
HF [17] Bridie Winbanks, [18] Kaitlyn O'Keefe, [19] Caley Ryan
FF [23] Zoe McWhinney, [24] Jessica Joyce, [27] Emily Harley
FOL [30] Mia Briedis, [32] Kate Adams, [33] Chloe Locke
IC [35] Sabrine Navarro, [44] Lauren Atkinson, [37] Eilish Grundon

Geelong
FB [1] Rene Caris, [2] Danielle Higgins, [13] Olivia Fuller
HB [17] Georgia Clarke, [20] Zali Friswell, [25] Stephanie Williams
C [26] Claudia Gunjaca, [29] Carly Remmos, [33] Emily Ramsay
HF [34] Mia Skinner, [35] Isabella Hill, [36] Sachi Degiacomi
FF [47] Chloe Leonard, [38] Madeleine Boyd, [40] Tamara Smith
FOL [42] Elise Coventry, [43] Sophie Dineen, [44] Melissa Bragg
IC [54] Brooke Wells, [55] Paige Sheppard, [58] Breanna Beckley

full time Geelong 7. 10. 52 Port Melbourne 0. 1. 1
Sophie Locke 21d 8t, Olivia Barton 19d about the only ball winners
Got any insights - we had lost all power up here in our part of SEQ.

no insights other than we had a young side, that was beaten by a Cats side with plenty of AFLW players
hope your okay up there with the flooding Phar Ace :praying:

OK, sounded like Sophie Locke and Barton tried hard though.

Thanks mate. Pomona, a small town not far away has had 1346mm in 4 days - unbelievable rain!

Teams for Carlton v (Richmond aligned) Port Melbourne @ IKON Park, 10am Sunday - FREE ENTRY.

Radio: WARFRadio.com and 89.1 FM at the ground from 9am (including interview with Port coach Sean Buncle at 9:10am)
Stream: On YouTube from 9:45am - see link below teams.

PORT MELBOURNE VFLW
B23. Z McWhinney32. K Adams
HB11. M Shaw6. L Davie1. O Barton
C52. I Houtsma4. C Bromage15. C Dyett
HF16. B Wilson48. S Reid29. I Stutt
F10. S Locke27. E Harley
R17. B Winbanks12. N Borg41. M MacDonald
INT22. A Peterson2. K Dudley59. S Dargan
33. C Locke18. K O'Keefe
EMG19. C Ryan24. J Joyce
5. H Fosbrooke44. L Atkinson35. S Navarro
7. R. Niclasen30. M Briedis

CARLTON VFLW
B17. N Moore9. B Gurr
HB23. A Lee34. C Wilson20. M Di Cosmo
C37. C Hammans1. A. Klingbeil30. L Brazzale
HF7. A Bild3. S Lawrence22. T Nicolaou
F35. P Schaap40. I Milford
R18. J Borg2. L Goss27. A Thorneycroft
INT26. M Cowan14. T Zampaglione19. A Jordan
29. J Stramandinoli12. S Ingram
EMG28. T Kolevski12. M Jarvis11. E. Wood
4. O Madden16. L Robertson24. M Wilson

Teams for Carlton v (Richmond aligned) Port Melbourne @ IKON Park, 10am Sunday - FREE ENTRY.

Radio: WARFRadio.com and 89.1 FM at the ground from 9am (including interview with Port coach Sean Buncle at 9:10am)
Stream: On YouTube from 9:45am - see link below teams.

PORT MELBOURNE VFLW
B23. Z McWhinney32. K Adams
HB11. M Shaw6. L Davie1. O Barton
C52. I Houtsma4. C Bromage15. C Dyett
HF16. B Wilson48. S Reid29. I Stutt
F10. S Locke27. E Harley
R17. B Winbanks12. N Borg41. M MacDonald
INT22. A Peterson2. K Dudley59. S Dargan
33. C Locke18. K O'Keefe
EMG19. C Ryan24. J Joyce
5. H Fosbrooke44. L Atkinson35. S Navarro
7. R. Niclasen30. M Briedis

CARLTON VFLW
B17. N Moore9. B Gurr
HB23. A Lee34. C Wilson20. M Di Cosmo
C37. C Hammans1. A. Klingbeil30. L Brazzale
HF7. A Bild3. S Lawrence22. T Nicolaou
F35. P Schaap40. I Milford
R18. J Borg2. L Goss27. A Thorneycroft
INT26. M Cowan14. T Zampaglione19. A Jordan
29. J Stramandinoli12. S Ingram
EMG28. T Kolevski12. M Jarvis11. E. Wood
4. O Madden16. L Robertson24. M Wilson

Thanks CrowdedOne!

Lisa Davies back in at CHB can't hurt! Few selection ifs and buts. Could see Wakefield and Bernardi in the AFLW. Lavey? Think she might miss. Maybe Stahl / Jacques injuries are OK. Or, one of them out injured and Lavey in. Perhaps Reid and McDonald omitted. Maybe Dargan and Peterson might be emergencies - if they have named on the bench for Port.

Last edited:
Thanks CrowdedOne!

Lisa Davies back in at CHB can't hurt! Few selection ifs and buts. Could see Wakefield and Bernardi in the AFLW. Lavey? Think she might miss. Maybe Stahl / Jacques injuries are OK. Or, one of them out injured and Lavey in. Perhaps Reid and McDonald omitted. Maybe Dargan and Peterson might be emergencies - if they have named on the bench for Port.

Couple of VFLW Tigers Amelia Klingbeil and Imogen Milford lining up in the navy too.

In the words of Tim Watson's Tiger barracking dad who was driving a 15 year old Tim to his debut game for Essendon against Richmond back in 1977, if it's close girls, you need to do the right thing!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks CrowdedOne!

Harley needs to find last years form. Her and Locke were a big reason for Ports success last year.

Harley needs to find last years form. Her and Locke were a big reason for Ports success last year.

Yeah, she just doesn't look as mobile as she was, and that had limits too.

Locke got well held early, why wouldn't they try...... but she managed to break free in the last. Should have had three for the game but was a touch inaccurate. But yeah, McDonald won the ball well, Kaitlyn O'Keefe killed it with 11 tackles, and Ingrid Houtsma went OK as well

1646541710680.png
1646541777433.png
1646541859164.png

Akayla Peterson having some sort of game today. Kaitlyn O'Keefe our best with 11 disposals so far, Locke held to 5. Zander for the Pies has 1.3 and 11 disposals. of the 9 behinds, only three are rushed so 1.6 is shocking kicking by Collingwood and leaving the door open for us still!

At Half Time Collingwood lead 15 (1.9) to 7 (1.1). Peterson has had 6 mark, 9 kicks and a goal

Last edited:
Bit strange that both our emergencies for todays AFLW game are playing for Port this morning?
Haven't even seen the teams yet - but maybe there is a bit of switcheroo.....

Still in the hunt at 3/4 time but need to use the ball just a bit better - down 22 to 13 - a goal a piece that Qtr.

Barton is great behind the ball, Peterson still doing well but not quite the same output, O'Keefe still our best with Locke starting to see a little more of it

Well that is probably the ball game, after threatening to goal it came out the back, down the wing with a series if kicks for Collingwood, to a two on one, with a clever snap by Collingwood for a step around goal. 29 to 14

Wow, what a brave bit of footy that was by Port, Peterson handball receives on the burst at pace, tries to bounce only to see it dribble on the ground , but, suddenly bounces back up to her hands still at pace, kicks to a Port player on the HFF who plays on instinctively, burst through a tackle and kicks to Harley in the pocket, who also looks inwards to centre the ball to Houtsma 15 out in front and goals - 30 to 21 down still

Last edited:
Having just missed a shot from 15 out directly in front, Collingwood player Dojiok, defends Port mark it in the opposing back pocket, causes a spillage, scrambles for it, runs back into an open goal and redeems herself much to the joy of her teammate who all run from afar. Hate Collingwood, but that was nice moment for her, who, after a moment of abject disappointment and astonishment (missing everything form the top of the square set shot), she was shocked into finding something to redeem herself and never gave up that next moment of play.

And that my friends is the ball game - they doubled our score still 5.12.42 to 3.3.21

• Stella Reid is a dilemma (5d 2m), looks timid but I don't think she really is, just young and unsure in older company I think. Will she benefit from an early season turn around in the AFLW? Don't think so. So far off it at the moment. But, she reads it better than most - confidence, confidence and confidence.
  • Akayla Peterson might be a handy back up (15d 7m 1g) - she showed some real dash today, nice hands. There are better players perhaps, but maybe a good last on - first off the list kind of player.
  • Ingrid Houtsma was handy enough today (7d 3m 1g) - plays a bit like Reid really but more advanced. Be interesting to see if her season builds at Port in the VFLW - there is something to like about the way she does it and seems to be able to run and run all day.
Sophie Locke knocked up getting it in that last qtr and finished with overall stats of (17d 4m 6t) but to no avail. They really struggle when she can't play forward and hit the scoreboard. If she gets some more help in the coming weeks with some players playing down (don't know the rules on that - TM2?) she will show what a star she can be.

Kudos to Kate Dudley on her 30 hitouts. She is getting off the ground a little more and her HO to advantage seem to be increasing. She is a good size and won't surprise me to see her picked up as back up Ruck if she is available. She needs to get to some marking contests though and build up some other strengths in her game. You probably know more TM2.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back