Port Melbourne VFLW 2022 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Casey with most of the play in the last Q, kicking 5 goals to 1 in the 2nd half
being over run whilst kicking with the breeze in 4th Q, is disappointing

Borough had a fairly young side, missing 4 of their leadership group, including Kuys the captain

Last edited:
yeah watched whole game
2 last Q goals by Chaplin sunk us
How did the 1st qtr look, because it was pretty even really in the 2nd and in 3rd I thought Casey had the ascendancy across the ground, just no scores. The last was all Casey after the first few minutes.

For the Stats nerds
1644631524733.png

1644631613271.png

1644631674529.png

CrowdedHouse feel free to post Port's 2022 VFLW stuff in this thread. Think more will see it here.

Here is some stuff on the Port v Essendon game this week Crowded House was kind enough to share with us.

Richmond's VFLW affiliate Port Melbourne plays Essendon at The Hangar, Melrose Drive, Tullamarine, this Saturday at 12:30pm (FREE ENTRY).

There will be a Youtube stream (link below teams) and a WARFRadio.com stream* from 12:30pm (if we make it from Carlton on time). Delay free at the ground on 89.1 FM if anyone who attends wants to listen (FM will start a few minutes into the first quarter)

ESSENDON VFLW
B16. T. Crook21. A. Morcom
HB8. E. Ashley-Cooper13. E. Hosking19. N. Julian
C42. J. Zanchetta9. M. Anthony18. K. Heil
HF22. N. MacDonald20. C. McIntosh24. R. Tierney
F10. E.Cornish4. M. Clifford
R30. S. Nalder3. S. Ford5. G. Nanscawen
INT14. D. Marshall1. C. Ugle23. A. Radford
44. F.Frew38. O. Manfre
EMG12. I. Currenti2. M. Trethowan15. L. Caruso
46. G. Elarmaly

PORT MELBOURNE VFLW
B23. Z McWhinney1. O Barton
HB22. A Peterson44. L Atkinson3. L De Gleria Cade
C5. H Fosbrooke10 S Locke32. K Adams
HF11. M Shaw48. S Reid59. S Dargan
F35 S Navarro27. E Harley
R17. B Winbanks28. S Molan18. K O’Keefe
INT14. L Grocock2. K Dudley19. C Ryan
24. J Joyce29. I Stutt
EMG7. R Niclasen30. M Briedis

Last edited:
Port Melbourne for 19 February

1645163024802.png

Emma Harley back in strengthens the forwards - she is certainly a solid performer and hard to contain, which usually means it's big help to the players around her. Sabrine Navarro is back as well after her ACL last year and it is hoped she still has that pace and guile to feed off Harley up forward. If so it's pretty handy forward set up with young recruit Stella Reid, Sarah Dargan and ex Hawk Maddi Shaw - and throw Locke drifting forward as she will be inclined to do having been named in the guts.

And courtesy of The Hanger
1645164528431.png

BROMAGE out is a real loss - her tackling prowess (14 tackles and 5 clearances) will be sorely missed, same with Borg.

Last edited:
Port Melbourne to massively affect Essendon's declared percentage today. Listed at 9800% (not sure how after a first game of a season with a for and against of 98 to 0 you can even declare a % - but this is Essendon we are talking about) percentages will tumble today!!!

3qtr time at the Hanger - Bombers leading Port 42 to 16.

Had a better 3rd term after pretty much letting the Bombers play the game to their style and needs. Locke has been outstanding, but her kicking IQ is just that bit suspect because she struggles to find a target. Missed three shots on goal that Qtr. Peterson came into the game a bit that Qtr as well. Molan is really just going through the motions - if she could live up to here supposed talent Port would be right in this. Reid a bit ineffective so far too.

Bombers 79 to 16 now at FullTime

Nothing to see here - don't watch the replay - erase it!

That takes us straight to the bottom 2 unfortunately
Well, then the only way is up! A lot to look forward to...................... 🥴

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We easily won the Hitouts and then proceeded to be trounced in everything else...............
1645241726851.png

1645241231980.png

1645241374644.png

1645241435459.png

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
3qtr time at the Hanger - Bombers leading Port 42 to 16.

Had a better 3rd term after pretty much letting the Bombers play the game to their style and needs. Locke has been outstanding, but her kicking IQ is just that bit suspect because she struggles to find a target. Missed three shots on goal that Qtr. Peterson came into the game a bit that Qtr as well. Molan is really just going through the motions - if she could live up to here supposed talent Port would be right in this. Reid a bit ineffective so far too.

yeah fair enough, a good old fashion smacking

too much left to too few, missing Claire Dyett, Courtney Bromage & Melissa Kuys top 3 in last years B&F doesn't help
yeah Molan should be tearing it up at this level, more impact is needed, but she was still Ports leading possie winner last round and this one
doesn't help that the top 15 possie winners, 13 are Dons & 3 are Port

Dons have a few ex AFLW players putting their hands up for a AFLW recall, Georgia Nanscawen, Jordan Zanchetta, maybe even Mia-Rae Clifford
2 young players that impressed me were Amelia Radford & Renee Tierney ex U/18 Geelong Falcon girl, stiff not to get drafted last year

seems like Dons will have a much stronger initial squad than Hawks from the looks of it

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
We easily won the Hitouts and then proceeded to be trounced in everything else...............
View attachment 1330492

View attachment 1330471
View attachment 1330483
View attachment 1330485

yeah it was a demolition, Reid had a very bad game, Peterson after winning Blues B&F last year has been poor
too many single digit possies for Port compared to the many double digit possies for Dons
Port could be one of the biggest drops of form in 2022, can't see them doing nearly as well as last year

yeah Molan should be tearing it up at this level, more impact is needed, but she was still Ports leading possie winner last round and this one
doesn't help that the top 15 possie winners, 13 are Dons & 3 are Port
If you have some spare matchsticks for the eyes, watch how many of Molan's kicks have any sort of impact. Stats schmats

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
If you have some spare matchsticks for the eyes, what how many of Molan's kicks have any sort of impact. Stats schmats

bloody hard to see, but i'd say Molan, Dargan & Locke our highest possie winners were going at 50% disposal efficiency, maybe less
Dons well and truly pumped Port in effective possies, at another level to be honest,
Dons AFLW level, Port U/18 juniors level, that much difference,

308 to 139 disposals, 77 to 22 marks, these are the most glaring stats, with most of the Dons disposals effective

very lucky to lose by 63p should have been 20p more to be honest

bloody hard to see, but i'd say Molan, Dargan & Locke our highest possie winners were going at 50% disposal efficiency, maybe less
Dons well and truly pumped Port in effective possies, at another level to be honest,
Dons AFLW level, Port U/18 juniors level, that much difference,

308 to 139 disposals, 77 to 22 marks, these are the most glaring stats, with most of the Dons disposals effective

very lucky to lose by 63p should have been 20p more to be honest
Agree with all that - yet in the 3rd we found something and for a while looked to have their measure - that must have really annoyed Buncle the coach. I get they are 3 to 4 best players down, but they also had Dargan, Molan, Reid, and Carlton's B&F in Peterson - throw in Locke who was head and shoulders above (expect for her kicking to position choices...... that'll come). We dominated the Ruck - but then we got so little out of everyone else.

Did you see Molan hit anyone up with her 11 kicks? I think one I can recall - most went to oppos (I missed a few in the 1st qtr). I hope this just a patch that she works through, it really looks like she is going at only 50% of her rate, which is about 25% of others.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Game over - Casey from behind 5.5.35 to Port 4.1.25 - 20pt to 0 last qtr by Casey against the breeze. The coach (Buncle) would be furious you would think.

Molan 17d
Locke 15d
Reid 13d

Caveat - I didn't see the 1st qtr.
Molan was ineffective for mine with her mostly on ball game. It's not the lack of disposals, it's what value any of them were.
Locke was quiet good, was kept quiet in the last even though she got thrown on the ball. Burnt a certain goal in the 3rd by running too far.
Reid seemed to be tagged, a couple of classy things but generally not a lot to be that pleased about
Peterson I hardly saw.

Would have been huge help if the boys calling the game use the Port player names, was nearly always referred to as "the Port player", yet seemed to know Casey intimately. There was two of you boys! Still it was a coverage.

Local girls Bromage were good, huge tackler, McWhinney had lots of work to do down back, ouir Ruck, Winbanks was thrashed by Gillard, close to best on ground with Petrevski for Casey.
Gee Reid’s been disappointing, hoped to hear she killed it at vfl ,,,

Gee Reid’s been disappointing, hoped to hear she killed it at vfl ,,,
I was the same - willing her to greater heights - instead she got caught and got caught and did I mention she got caught?

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
I was the same - willing her to greater heights - instead she got caught and got caught and did I mention she got caught?
Dare I say it and I say dare I say it , I never got a positive vibe when watching her highlights on draft night. Absolutely Hope to be proven first impressions are wrong . These neg reports from vfl aren’t encouraging

Dare I say it and I say dare I say it , I never got a positive vibe when watching her highlights on draft night. Absolutely Hope to be proven first impressions are wrong . These neg reports from vfl aren’t encouraging
I think she is just physically immature. I think she will be a slow burn. Was she the right pick? Probably given we got Yassir as well anyway. She has some great raw attributes, has good footy IQ, but the up tick in pace and physicality is/will take her weeks to adjust to. She'll be better next year for sure.

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
I think she is just physically immature. I think she will be a slow burn. Was she the right pick? Probably given we got Yassir as well anyway. She has some great raw attributes, has good footy IQ, but the up tick in pace and physicality is/will take her weeks to adjust to. She'll be better next year for sure.

yeah "slow burn" is an apt summation
Reid & Yassir weren't drafted for now, more like in a few years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back