2nds Port Melbourne vs Footscray sat 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Going to make myself unpopular but ....

so Prudden as co-captain calls the boys into a huddle before the coaches 3/4 quarter time address to give them a rev for an insipid third quarter....... and proceeds to be a spectator for the whole second half. Must look up the definition of good captaincy again. (I know he wasn't alone but he is a senior player in that team)

Going to make myself unpopular but ....

so Prudden as co-captain calls the boys into a huddle before the coaches 3/4 quarter time address to give them a rev for an insipid third quarter....... and proceeds to be a spectator for the whole second half. Must look up the definition of good captaincy again. (I know he wasn't alone but he is a senior player in that team)
And there were guys on here worshipping him and calling him the next messiah? Where are they now? Absolute hack

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that was a waste of a few hours, once the rain came we went and our height
plus lack of any evident class took hold. Anyway time for the talent notes with a
warning that not too much ink was used other than to record scores.

Josh Schache: 3 x Goals, played on an eighteen year old first gamer from the
ammos, battled with Monfries for cleanest kit and won on points.

Tom Campbell: Only rucked for about a quarter took a few marks, but not a
day for the talls.

Tim English: 1 x Goal, why rest a bloke to play in that crap, was quite angry
and hungry at times not really a ruck.

Jackson Trengove: 1 x Goal, played as a ruck rover and his kicking to grass
was a highlight got plenty of it which did not help.

Lin Jong: 1 x Goal, if trying hard was an Olympic sport we would have a Gold
medallist, but skill level is appalling.

Fergus Greene: 1 x Goal, first time viewing of Fergus and he has talent, but
needs to eat more meat lots more very weak.

Shane Biggs: Taken off to be an emergency for tonight which meant he got
first access to the warm water in the showers which was a positive.

Nathan Mullenger-McHugh: Typing out his name is always a highlight, but
he too is too slight in the body.

Callum Porter: Turned it over with nearly every possession, hope he is a
dry tracker because he is not a wet tracker.

Roarke Smith: He is a goer, but has to find more balance in his game. He
is not a tall pure and simple.

Fletcher Roberts: Tried hard, but no system present to protect him at all
with the poor team balance.

Jordan Roughead: 1 x Goal, Took a few marks around the ground, but
another exposed trying to plug gaps around the ground.

Of the VFL guys Rueben William and Liam Nash kicked goals and did some
good things, but most of them struggled against their opponents.

ROBIN NAHAS: It's not too late 32 possessions across half back as we had
built a great immobile wall at selection.

And there were guys on here worshipping him and calling him the next messiah? Where are they now? Absolute hack
Chill, my friend. Some threads are a pisstake (or they end up that way) and should be enjoyed as such.

Comments on listed players (purely based on observation not stats):
Trengove: started very well, got a lot of disposals in the 1st half particularly in the backline. Like most others, disappeared for the 2nd half.
Schache: kicked 3 goals, is very good when he gets a shot on goal but to me looks like a good prospect just out of last year's draft therefore requiring much more development.
Campbell: took several good marks around the ground, got a lot of hitouts most of which were taken away by Port midfielders. Not the worst but owing to Port's dominance around clearances and stoppages, he probably had little influence on the game.
Roberts: a familiar showing by him: defended well on occasions, kicked well and was beaten one on one several times.
Roughead: spent some time in ruck and some in defence where he was OK. Looked better as the game progressed. Not sure if he warrants promotion on today's performance.
Biggs: didn't do that much before subbed out just before half time.
Porter: had a poor game, just couldn't get into it at any stage.
Greene: a good kick for goal but lacks pace and needs to be more accountable for his opponents, long way off.
Smith: very quiet, cleared the ball from deep back on a few occasions but no influence.
MM: just hasn't got the body for AFL.
English: poor 1st half, didn't take the marks he should have, not influential in ruck. Improved in last quarter when he got a bit of it in the forward line and a few better hitouts. Don't think we'll see him for a while at senior level.
Jong: a typical Jong VFL performance - worked his butt off in the packs, got the ball moving on many occasions, many scrappy disposals that didn't advantage the team. A for Effort.

The ground: considering the work the Bulldogs had to do to bring the VU Whitten Oval up to scratch for VFL, I'm wondering how North Port Oval escapes similar scrutiny. Boggy centre, geriatric stands, and ordinary amenities. Odd! Port players certainly know how to use the ground to their advantage - always a strong home ground advantage for them. Good luck to them I suppose, stand alone teams need all the help they can get.
Umpiring: I thought a lot of our tackles went unrewarded - no excuses though Port far too good.
VFL Players: many of them found today far too difficult: conditions? Port's pressure? too slow? Josh Wallis for one example, started well in the 1st and then simply disappeared.
Big Men: OK we had too many in today and with all the rotations of ruckmen, sometimes it looked like they were individually doing little. I know we have to include all these listed talls but it certainly makes for a very unbalanced team.

Some head scratching coaching for mine.

Why was Nahas allowed to play a kick behind the play all day on his own? He set up so much play.

Why was another Port player allowed to run from behind when they took a mark, with none of our players anywhere near them?

Why were they able to double up with the old 1-2 handball so often and be able to run away from us.

We just played too far away from our opponents given we didn't have the pace they had.

And why did we think it was ok to kick in hope from the half back line without looking so that the ball invariably ended up in Port's hands?

I can't fathom why we didn't change our style because when the ball got out, we were absolutely no match for their fleet of runners.

Some head scratching coaching for mine.

Why was Nahas allowed to play a kick behind the play all day on his own? He set up so much play.

Why was another Port player allowed to run from behind when they took a mark, with none of our players anywhere near them?

Why were they able to double up with the old 1-2 handball so often and be able to run away from us.

We just played too far away from our opponents given we didn't have the pace they had.

And why did we think it was ok to kick in hope from the half back line without looking so that the ball invariably ended up in Port's hands?

I can't fathom why we didn't change our style because when the ball got out, we were absolutely no match for their fleet of runners.
So many questions but so few answers.

Not sure what more people want from him.. wrong conditions for him but still kicks 3
A small amount of intensity once the ball hits the ground and the ability to impact a game more than a handful of times.

The polish might get him 3 goals against a younger or lesser player in the VFL, but when the game translates to AFL intensity and AFL quality defenders I just don't see how he is going to be a player worthy of a spot in our forward line unless he completely changes his mindset. From all reports he's got the tank. He has the athleticism for his size. There are tools there.

Saw at least 4 throws get totally ignored by the umps- what happened to the crackdown on the throws/ dodgy disposals thing. And not rewarding red hot holding the ball cases- it's a blight on the game when umps just stand there and ignore the obvious.

Saw at least 4 throws get totally ignored by the umps- what happened to the crackdown on the throws/ dodgy disposals thing. And not rewarding red hot holding the ball cases- it's a blight on the game when umps just stand there and ignore the obvious.
Yeah. A * ton of swallowing the whistle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back