2nds Port Melbourne vs Footscray sat 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah. A **** ton of swallowing the whistle.

All this talk about the game becoming ugly. Yet the hopelessly inconsistent and reactionary umpiring seems to escape blame. Would love for there to be a Royal Commission on AFL umpiring cos we are never allowed to question them at all!

All this talk about the game becoming ugly. Yet the hopelessly inconsistent and reactionary umpiring seems to escape blame. Would love for there to be a Royal Commission on AFL umpiring cos we are never allowed to question them at all!
As long as it's constructive and strategic, rather than knee-jerk reactive "we got reamed by the maggots today" stuff.

Players and coaches are constantly being put under the microscope and I'd like to think that overall it helps lift the standard of play/coaching. It at least gets people thinking about what to aspire to.

No reason why a constructive approach couldn't do the same for umpiring. The AFL is super protective of them and it may not be in the interests of the game to reject any manner of criticism.

Extremely unbalanced team, I think they wouldn't have been better to give English the week off, play Trengove as a defender and rotate Roughy and Campbell in the ruck. Better still one of these guys should have played last night.

Bevo is saying they were not ready. Surely this week one should be. So difficult to win that game with the side selected, non aligned sides at least just play their best team each week and are not constrained by the needs of a senior team.

Did like the look of Ruben Williams. Nash is another who could step up a level I reckon.

Well that was a waste of a few hours, once the rain came we went and our height
plus lack of any evident class took hold. Anyway time for the talent notes with a
warning that not too much ink was used other than to record scores.

Josh Schache: 3 x Goals, played on an eighteen year old first gamer from the
ammos, battled with Monfries for cleanest kit and won on points.

Tom Campbell: Only rucked for about a quarter took a few marks, but not a
day for the talls.

Tim English: 1 x Goal, why rest a bloke to play in that crap, was quite angry
and hungry at times not really a ruck.

Jackson Trengove: 1 x Goal, played as a ruck rover and his kicking to grass
was a highlight got plenty of it which did not help.

Lin Jong: 1 x Goal, if trying hard was an Olympic sport we would have a Gold
medallist, but skill level is appalling.

Fergus Greene: 1 x Goal, first time viewing of Fergus and he has talent, but
needs to eat more meat lots more very weak.

Shane Biggs: Taken off to be an emergency for tonight which meant he got
first access to the warm water in the showers which was a positive.

Nathan Mullenger-McHugh: Typing out his name is always a highlight, but
he too is too slight in the body.

Callum Porter: Turned it over with nearly every possession, hope he is a
dry tracker because he is not a wet tracker.

Roarke Smith: He is a goer, but has to find more balance in his game. He
is not a tall pure and simple.

Fletcher Roberts: Tried hard, but no system present to protect him at all
with the poor team balance.

Jordan Roughead: 1 x Goal, Took a few marks around the ground, but
another exposed trying to plug gaps around the ground.

Of the VFL guys Rueben William and Liam Nash kicked goals and did some
good things, but most of them struggled against their opponents.

ROBIN NAHAS: It's not too late 32 possessions across half back as we had
built a great immobile wall at selection.
Not many positives from you Yojimbo :(

GO BROWNS, I LOVE CLEVELAND ! There you go Cadillac.

I am a harsh judge, but to be up 49 to 36 at half time and take off Biggs instead of a tall like
Tim English is baffling. If I posted what I really thought then you could complain because I
watered it down to be honest.
Nah I like the honesty mate. We obviously went into the game way too top heavy.

Nah I like the honesty mate. We obviously went into the game way too top heavy.
We did, even if it was due to circumstance. Bev called it "the Land of the Giants down there" when someone mentioned the senior players in the VFL.

And there were guys on here worshipping him and calling him the next messiah? Where are they now? Absolute hack

Messiah , all tough in cheek stuff at the time. Lighten up mate.
Was unsighted yesterday and looked a shadow of what he is capable of.

Just another bloke who for what ever reason just can't avoid injury and get any continuity.
I have seen plenty of him to know he is far from a hack , but if it makes you feel better ?

Just about everything he did was correct decision. Really hoping he develops.

Not sure about Roughy yet. I'd like him and T.Boyd as the ruck duo eventually.

At what point do we decide he needs to fly under the radar?

As we found with Hannan and Long we are no more chance to draft him than anyone else.

As long as it's constructive and strategic, rather than knee-jerk reactive "we got reamed by the maggots today" stuff.

Players and coaches are constantly being put under the microscope and I'd like to think that overall it helps lift the standard of play/coaching. It at least gets people thinking about what to aspire to.

No reason why a constructive approach couldn't do the same for umpiring. The AFL is super protective of them and it may not be in the interests of the game to reject any manner of criticism.

I'm all for constructive discussion but where does it happen?

To me a lot of the games problems over the past few years is a result of umpiring confusion, backtracking and knee jerk changes ( like the diving at the feet rule, the policing of the throw after our premiership and the arbitrary deliberate out of bounds, rushed behind insufficient intent mystery).

What is the AFL doing to protect the game? Well we don't know- cos the AFL does not seem to give its own and club members much of a say. Rule changes seem to appear week to week depending upon the prevailing favour but then you see them disappear.

Of course the AFL and the umpires don't have to be accountable but that doesn't mean we should be happy about this.

Wk7D1zO.png

VOCmDZi.png

I only saw the second half of the game on tv so I was a long way from the action but did anyone else gt the impression that some of our guys (looking at you Jong and some others) saw the gluepot in the middle of the ground and decided that it wasn't for them?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I only saw the second half of the game on tv so I was a long way from the action but did anyone else gt the impression that some of our guys (looking at you Jong and some others) saw the gluepot in the middle of the ground and decided that it wasn't for them?
I reckon some did but I don't think Jong was one of them. He was probably the filthiest of all, threw his body in and around as per usual. Team high for tackles as well.

Josh Schache given (BOG) for the Dogs despite not taking a mark for the game
against an eighteen year old playing his first VFL game, amazing.

Robin Nahas, I bow down before thee in humble awe.

To have the bottom ranked players X 13 and 15 of the bottom 17 screams
team effort to me. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back