Port Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of the posts in this thread are very much endemic of the attitude towards the lower leagues shown by those lucky enough to have their traditional club in the top league. And some by those who have non traditional clubs in the top league as well.

The second tier leagues/clubs are not in a good state country wide. All or most is being done to cater for the good of the AFL and nought else.
For myself it's the loss of/sidelining of a lot of great footy history/traditions in these lower leagues that is troubling. This situation with Port Melbourne is just another part of a bigger problem.

Essentially, you need all the cylinders firing on an engine for it to be running well (TAC, State Leagues, Colts comps etc). The way the AFL runs things at the second tier......well the AFL will be ok, but everything else will suffer, and sooner or later this will affect the participation rates in the game itself. Then it will bite the AFL in the arse so to speak.

Just a matter of time.

Some of the posts in this thread are very much endemic of the attitude towards the lower leagues shown by those lucky enough to have their traditional club in the top league. And some by those who have non traditional clubs in the top league as well.

The second tier leagues/clubs are not in a good state country wide. All or most is being done to cater for the good of the AFL and nought else.
For myself it's the loss of/sidelining of a lot of great footy history/traditions in these lower leagues that is troubling. This situation with Port Melbourne is just another part of a bigger problem.

Essentially, you need all the cylinders firing on an engine for it to be running well (TAC, State Leagues, Colts comps etc). The way the AFL runs things at the second tier......well the AFL will be ok, but everything else will suffer, and sooner or later this will affect the participation rates in the game itself. Then it will bite the AFL in the arse so to speak.

Just a matter of time.

Yes & you point that out to those with their heads stuck up the AFLs arse & they think you are attacking the game itself. The AFL could do a lot for local football, it wouldn't take much effort at all.

It seems to be a crime to care about the real health of AF. Its worse here, our local game is badly degraded, we pay for FIFO teams which does SFA for our football.

Its crazy, short sighted & plain stupid.

A big argument about AFL reserves is that it'd kill the traditional state competitions, because crowds and sponsorships would flock to Hawthorn reserves and Crows twos. Who'd go and watch a bunch of second string players and pay money for it? I think people are more interested in following their old side or going down to get the community aspect... in some ways the extra flightload of players would make AFL reserves a tough thing to really put up with financially.

Plus they'd probably just be playing before the seniors... it'd get almost no attention.

A big argument about AFL reserves is that it'd kill the traditional state competitions, because crowds and sponsorships would flock to Hawthorn reserves and Crows twos. Who'd go and watch a bunch of second string players and pay money for it? I think people are more interested in following their old side or going down to get the community aspect... in some ways the extra flightload of players would make AFL reserves a tough thing to really put up with financially.

Plus they'd probably just be playing before the seniors... it'd get almost no attention.

AFL reserves would effectively kill SANFL & WAFL & the current VFL competition. The AFL need to help the 2nd tier as a source of players, coaches & other officials (fitness coaches, managers) .

AFL reserves would effectively kill SANFL & WAFL & the current VFL competition. The AFL need to help the 2nd tier as a source of players, coaches & other officials (fitness coaches, managers) .
But what I'm trying to say is the 'WAFL' would become another amateur league, and so the standard would be able to slip a bit while the integrity (all clubs, colours, fixtures as per) would remain. I also think a lot of those things (fitness coaches, assistants) aren't needed – how many more runners do you need? There are guys who played a bit of AFL and don't associate themselves with state leagues as is, but I'm sure they'd come up and do some weekend stuff for the 'new' or 'next' WAFL and/or the AFL reserves.

Nah, reserves would barely impact on state leagues. People don't follow state leagues because it's the 2nd highest level. They follow it because they are local clubs and the highest level of football in the state. Further, reserves teams are not typically very well supported. The reserves teams in the EPL practically have nobody going to watch them.

Nah, reserves would barely impact on state leagues. People don't follow state leagues because it's the 2nd highest level. They follow it because they are local clubs and the highest level of football in the state. Further, reserves teams are not typically very well supported. The reserves teams in the EPL practically have nobody going to watch them.

Its probably not the right place for this discussion, but!
Its the medium to long term position & value of the 2nd tear which is at risk. If it continues to be devalued by AFL actions, then it will be devalued by the media, the community & the players. In the end the AR pyramid will look more like a flag pole. with a heap of amateurs at the bottom & a thin line up to a chunk on top. Thats not a stable organisational structure, nor healthy for the game IMO.

Congrats Port. Cracking game from a neutral perspective! You go ahead of us in premierships. (Admittedly, two of ours were 2nd division) I thought knocking us off last week proved you were the real deal for today.

Congrats Port. Cracking game from a neutral perspective! You go ahead of us in premierships. (Admittedly, two of ours were 2nd division) I thought knocking us off last week proved you were the real deal for today.
Pretty much. If you had gotten through you'd have been up by 10 goals at 3QT

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a bloody day / night. Had a friend's birthday in St Kilda so missed the majority of the game, but got back to The Rail in time for the last 15 minutes. Headed 'Back to the Bowler' for a quick couple and then across to the club rooms for the festivities. Absolutely brilliant. Good to be a member of a Premiership winning club!

. Port's debt is not due to overpaying "spuds" but rather their social and pokie venue in the suburb taking a turn for the worst. Port is changing very quickly as a suburb and the old pub venue probably doesn't suit the area anymore. Port has been a very well run club for a long time and will survive but the lack of support / care from AFL VIC is disturbing. Time for Willy port coburg, North Ballarat and hopefully Frankston to tell AFL Vic to put some effort into their plight Otherwise we'll lose some important and historic footy clubs.
Not true. The Rex is still doing a roaring trade as the number one Pokie venue in Port. They have just (well, within the last 9 months) undergone some renovations and now have a food offering.

What has happened though, is that Brucey Mathieson has reduced the amount of money that he used to give to the club via the venue. I believe he reduced his donation by half.

OK just wanted to make a couple of corrections to what was said in this thread.

Port Melbourne was never in debt. Port Melbourne made a 300 k loss but still had plenty in the bank - it was a very long way from "lets lock the gates and get the liquidators in". Anyway - 12 months down the track Port has made a slight financial gain and would expect to make a greater win this year with the extra home game given to all stand alone clubs.

Secondly thank you to the Williamstown supporter who said that we go ahead of them in premierships. May i make the correction that we were ALWAYS ahead of Williamstown in premierships and that their 2nd division premierships do not count to their premiership tally. Historically we have been and hope to remain the most successfull VFA / VFL side.

For those of you who are Port supporters, the season is just around the corner. Theirs no better time to buy a membership then now, get the full benefits of watching not 9 (as per previous seasons) but 10 games for a cheap $70. Membership prices have not increased in years, so get on board. The club is well on the way to exceeding 1000 members so get on board and help out this great club. For the price of two general tickets to a AFL game you can get a whole years membership to the mighty borough (which also includes half price away game entry).

OK just wanted to make a couple of corrections to what was said in this thread.

Port Melbourne was never in debt. Port Melbourne made a 300 k loss but still had plenty in the bank - it was a very long way from "lets lock the gates and get the liquidators in". Anyway - 12 months down the track Port has made a slight financial gain and would expect to make a greater win this year with the extra home game given to all stand alone clubs.

Secondly thank you to the Williamstown supporter who said that we go ahead of them in premierships. May i make the correction that we were ALWAYS ahead of Williamstown in premierships and that their 2nd division premierships do not count to their premiership tally. Historically we have been and hope to remain the most successfull VFA / VFL side.

For those of you who are Port supporters, the season is just around the corner. Theirs no better time to buy a membership then now, get the full benefits of watching not 9 (as per previous seasons) but 10 games for a cheap $70. Membership prices have not increased in years, so get on board. The club is well on the way to exceeding 1000 members so get on board and help out this great club. For the price of two general tickets to a AFL game you can get a whole years membership to the mighty borough (which also includes half price away game entry).

Great message in urging your fellow Port fans to get on board.

May I make the correction that you guys have not ALWAYS been ahead of Williamstown.

In your lifetime perhaps.

You guys have 3 more flags than us.
Willy had 3 more flags than Port after winning in '59 and Port never achieved 3 flags up against Willy until 1980. At the end of your golden run in '82 you had 5 more flags. Since then it's 4 to 2 in Williamstown's favour.

26 more wins to Port head to head in 251 encounters since 1896. What's the name of the road your home ground is located?

We are older & our home ground isn't on Port Melbourne Rd.

If you are fishing, you got me.

Bring on this year & I always look forward to facing the Borough!

Last edited:
Great message in urging your fellow Port fans to get on board.
May I make the correction that you guys have not ALWAYS been ahead of Williamstown.
In your lifetime perhaps.
You guys have 3 more flags than us.
Willy had 3 more flags than Port after winning in '56 (Against Port) and Port never achieved 3 flags up against Willy until 1980. At the end of your golden run in '82 you had 5 more flags. Since then it's 4 to 2 in Williamstown's favour.
26 more wins to Port head to head in 251 encounters since 1896.
We are older & our home ground isn't on Port Melbourne Rd.
If you are fishing, you got me.
Bring on this year & I always look forward to facing the Borough!

Wasn't fishing. As for not always being ahead - I stand corrected. I haven't checked to see if you are correct but I trust you are so apologies (Port being so mighty I assumed that nobody would have ever surpassed them in the premiership tally).

Yes the sad era of the 50's. Many a Port supporter would have drowned their sorrows down Bay st. Was a era of Port playing grand final after grand final only to bring back the flag once.

You mention your home ground is not on Port Melbourne rd ? Where is your home ground ? I think i drove past once - blinked then missed it ? Is it the ground that has the stand with 3 rows that holds a total of 150 people ?

Wasn't fishing. As for not always being ahead - I stand corrected. I haven't checked to see if you are correct but I trust you are so apologies (Port being so mighty I assumed that nobody would have ever surpassed them in the premiership tally).

Yes the sad era of the 50's. Many a Port supporter would have drowned their sorrows down Bay st. Was a era of Port playing grand final after grand final only to bring back the flag once.

You mention your home ground is not on Port Melbourne rd ? Where is your home ground ? I think i drove past once - blinked then missed it ? Is it the ground that has the stand with 3 rows that holds a total of 150 people ?
Now you are fishing. Great rivals. We are not the same without each other.

Good to see some passion from you two about our comp and your great clubs, rate it highly. Hopefully bump into you both on the terraces at Coburg City Oval this year when we take on your mobs, I'll buy you both a Coburg Lager, great drop.
We'll need to catch up at one of those games too mate. Probably the Sandy game as that coincides with a bye in the VAFA for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back