Port - Norwood rivalry (and tragedy)

Remove this Banner Ad

shame the crows were created ... a strong norwood and Port would of been insane. Traditional clubs with strong history.
This is utter nonsense. Norwood has even less support than Port so when they have a bad year there wouldn't be enough tarps in SA to cope. The only ones that want Norwood in, apart from a few diehard Redlegs who at least want it for the right reasons, are Port supporters. They don't give a crap about the Redlegs but can't stand the fact that the Crows are the biggest club in SA by some margin and will always be. Not that it matters but the Crows have now been around for 26 years, have 2 flags and are a good shot at another this year so don't give me this no tradition or soul rubbish. Their supporters are among the most passionate in the AFL.
I've followed Sturt since before the Crows and still do, but wouldn't want them in the AFL because they wouldn't unite the state like AFC does.

This is utter nonsense. Norwood has even less support than Port so when they have a bad year there wouldn't be enough tarps in SA to cope. The only ones that want Norwood in, apart from a few diehard Redlegs who at least want it for the right reasons, are Port supporters. They don't give a crap about the Redlegs but can't stand the fact that the Crows are the biggest club in SA by some margin and will always be. Not that it matters but the Crows have now been around for 26 years, have 2 flags and are a good shot at another this year so don't give me this no tradition or soul rubbish. Their supporters are among the most passionate in the AFL.
I've followed Sturt since before the Crows and still do, but wouldn't want them in the AFL because they wouldn't unite the state like AFC does.
So every SA person who has started following AFL since 1991/ 1997 (mostly) picks between the Crows and Port? Building fan bases. Winning premierships. But that wouldn't have happened under a Port Norwood combo?

The Crows 26 years on field are great, but it wouldn't have worked out that way if you tacked those 26 years onto 100+ years of Norwood?

You conveniently forget a couple of facts. Port Adelaide wanted into the AFL when there was NO Adelaide Crows. Before that Norwood wanted into the VFL when there was NO Adelaide Crows. So stop trying to rewrite history pretending that the Crows are the reason for all of this.

What has happened that in their panicked jealousy of clubs trying to transfer expand SANFL history into a National Competition (like all the VFL clubs have done), the SANFL essentially made rendered its own history inferior and redundant and started with a new generic club. Including your beloved Sturt. And you are ok with that clearly.

What a pity that the OP isn't something that being highlighted on a national stage in prime time.

So every SA person who has started following AFL since 1991/ 1997 (mostly) picks between the Crows and Port?
Building fan bases. Winning premierships. But that wouldn't have happened under a Port Norwood combo?

The Crows 26 years on field are great, but it wouldn't have worked out that way if you tacked those 26 years onto 100+ years of Norwood?

You conveniently forget a couple of facts. Port Adelaide wanted into the AFL when there was NO Adelaide Crows. Before that Norwood wanted into the VFL when there was NO Adelaide Crows. So stop trying to rewrite history pretending that the Crows are the reason for all of this.

What has happened that in their panicked jealousy of clubs trying to transfer expand SANFL history into a National Competition (like all the VFL clubs have done), the SANFL essentially made rendered its own history inferior and redundant and started with a new generic club. Including your beloved Sturt. And you are ok with that clearly.

What a pity that the OP isn't something that being highlighted on a national stage in prime time.

Can not add much more to this, hits the nail on the head. We may have got in later than we wanted, however I am grateful that I can still follow my club on the national stage.

Watching those old videos you do feel that we've lost something. That sense of tribalism, people packed in to suburban ovals supporting their local team. Not just here but Moorabbin, Windy Hill, Princes Park etc. Even just having both sets of fans there. Apart from two Showdowns, the other 20 matches at Adelaide Oval have 95% of fans supporting one team. It's just not the same atmosphere. You can't go back though and I love football now too.

Watching those old videos you do feel that we've lost something. That sense of tribalism, people packed in to suburban ovals supporting their local team. Not just here but Moorabbin, Windy Hill, Princes Park etc. Even just having both sets of fans there. Apart from two Showdowns, the other 20 matches at Adelaide Oval have 95% of fans supporting one team. It's just not the same atmosphere. You can't go back though and I love football now too.

IT will fix that. The AFL are working on something special

So every SA person who has started following AFL since 1991/ 1997 (mostly) picks between the Crows and Port? Building fan bases. Winning premierships. But that wouldn't have happened under a Port Norwood combo?

I'm not sure what history I'm supposed to have re-written, but its on record that the SANFL was trying to negotiate a better deal to enter the AFL (whether that was a composite side or several established sides is unclear) because they needed us more than we needed them. As it was, the doomed entries of Norwood and then Port forced the hand of the SANFL and the Crows were born as a result. The AFL used Port to achieve what they wanted, an expanded VFL rather than a true national comp and the rest is history.

It would have been madness for the SANFL to put all their eggs in a Norwood or Port and immediately alienate 80% of the SA football public. How that have helped my beloved Sturt? You somehow imagine that anyone who doesn't follow Port somehow would automatically follow Norwood when there is no evidence of that. I and many others dislike both equally. Instead they wisely chose to have what at the time was a defacto State side with enormous public support. Whether you like the Crows or not, even Port fans have to admit they have been as successful as it could have been hoped - look at the membership, crowds and public interest. The rivalry between us isn't generic, it's as strong or stronger as any Port/Norwood rivalry was - we both hate each other with a passion as should be the case in any rivalry. The fact that many Port people don't want us there proves that.

Last edited:
******** Note to all non-South Australians ********

This post is EXACTLY why we wish Norwood (a true rival) or Sturt (a true rival) were in the AFL, rather than putting up with the petty crap insults that many Crows supporters think is insightful and intelligent.

shame the crows were created ... a strong norwood and Port would of been insane. Traditional clubs with strong history.

It seems obvious to me Port Adelaide supporters would've preferred another SANFL club instead of the Crows because Port Adelaide would've become the Crows-size club.

It seems obvious to me Port Adelaide supporters would've preferred another SANFL club instead of the Crows because Port Adelaide would've become the Crows-size club.
Talking in hindsight?

Because at the time (and to some, even now), it was about our club and our performance and proving ourselves on the national stage, not how "big" we were.

nah, it doesn't have anything to do with Port other than the respect Port has for Norwood.

we had one great clubs in the SANFL, by a margin, being Port. Port made a massive push from the late 70s in an attempt to outgrow the SANFL and clearly achieved their goal with strong onfield and off field success.

The was another tier with Norwood and Sturt not far behind Port. Sturt, arguably the third club, lost momentum after the 60s and 70s whilst Norwood remained strong with onfield success in the 70s and 80s.

Then you had north and glenelg with a decent charge onfield in the 70s and 80s but they were small clubs and didn't have the off field support.

TBelow that Centrals and Woodville were new franchises and had won zip, West Torrens and West Adelaide had a tiny sprinkle of success, South was successful pre war and limited post.

If the 80s VFL had to choose who entered the AFL, you'd suggest big clubs (at the time) like the pies, blues, tigers, dons would get the nod over the dogs, saints, roos, demons. You'd also suggest these sides would get the nod over a fresh franchise representing the minnows.

but history has played out and the crows have been a successful venture.

Obviously the head start helped them but in terms of being a crow sized club... we arnt far behind now especially in terms of membership, attendances and general interest in this state weve come a long way. A bit more onfield success like 2014 its about even. Also Port and Norwood rivalry is nothing like Port and Crows... there was mutual respect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

eddie-griffin-popcorn.gif

Talking in hindsight?

In hindsight. Though some people would've read the tea leaves back in the day.

Obviously the head start helped them but in terms of being a crow sized club... we arnt far behind now especially in terms of membership, attendances and general interest in this state weve come a long way. A bit more onfield success like 2014 its about even. Also Port and Norwood rivalry is nothing like Port and Crows... there was mutual respect.

Port Adelaide will continue closing the gap. Nobody under the age of about 32 has any real memories of the SANFL being a big deal. Future generations won't give a * about any of that. It would probably take a decade of Port Adelaide regularly playing grand finals with the Crows at the bottom of the ladder for a seismic shift though. The first club in always has an advantage unless something remarkable happens.

There's sone very disturbed people who are Port Magpies through and through but support the crows. Some weird mental gymnastics there
I've seen the wierd Norwood and Port Power combo. Thats some strangeness right there. If you love Norwood, how can the words "Go Port" escape your lips?

That is a disgusting idea. Glad it didn't go ahead.
I can only agree. My family bleeds Red & Blue, Norwood Lions would have been an abomination. Cant imagine supporting that merged team. As it is I'm sad that the SANFL appears to be on a path to oblivion. Once the current generation of "xenials" (people like me - born into an analogue world but living a digital adulthood) die out, there doesn't look to be too many new fans coming on :(

At the moment Norwood are a big fish in a medium pond, but if the pond dries up what then? The SANFL havent helped much by admitting Crows and power reserves teams...that's driven more than a few fans away. Not me though. I've been a member half my life and I'll be Norwood til I die.

Bruce Webber says hi and then lies behind your back by going against his word after saying he never saw you.

Let's never forget port Adelaide agreed to vote the same as the other commissioners and then lied to everyone by talking to the VFL

Zero integrity Port Magpies have.

Do you remember what resolution Bruce Webber voted no to?

Reinvention of history much?

The resolution was for a composite side

Port obviously wanted to go it alone, other clubs also wanted to go alone or in partnership with other clubs.

No club supported a SANFL franchise but history worked out differently.

The resolution was for a composite side

Port obviously wanted to go it alone, other clubs also wanted to go alone or in partnership with other clubs.

No club supported a SANFL franchise but history worked out differently.

Nope. The SANFL wanted to wait until 1993 and then entre a composite side.

Port Adelaide Magpies agreed to this and then proceeded to have discussions with the VFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back