Port or Crows, who's been more successful in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

The real question is, why are the two SA clubs about equal, whereas WC are way more successful than Freo? Crows had 6 years on Port while we had 8 on Freo.

Not sour grapes or anything - because Big Footy posters want to put asterisks against as many flags as possible

However i would vote for Pt Adelaide - they have got a genuine bona fide Premiership - plus plenty of top of the ladder finishes in their history

Adelaide have got 2 Premierships - however both years they had paltry 13-9 records - yet they are the Champion team

Ive posted this before - but the Crows 98 flag is the 2nd worst premiership ever in the history of VFL/AFL - only Fitzroys 4th and last in a 4 team comp - then win the flag is worse than the Crows

1998 - they win 13 games finish 5th - get flogged by Melb in week one - by plus 10 goals - and get a 2nd chance - that is rubbish - then simply win 3 games - and they are the champ - no that premiership should be ruled null and void

1997 - they get a vital home final in the 2nd week - the AFL were making up the rules re finals in the 90s - on a daily basis - there was nothing set in concrete

Adelaide are yet to win a proper flag - alah - have a very good season - win 17-18 games etc - and then win the flag - mickey mouse rules in the 90s got them the 2 flags

Thus for mine Port Adelaide are the better club

Not sour grapes or anything - because Big Footy posters want to put asterisks against as many flags as possible

However i would vote for Pt Adelaide - they have got a genuine bona fide Premiership - plus plenty of top of the ladder finishes in their history

Adelaide have got 2 Premierships - however both years they had paltry 13-9 records - yet they are the Champion team

Ive posted this before - but the Crows 98 flag is the 2nd worst premiership ever in the history of VFL/AFL - only Fitzroys 4th and last in a 4 team comp - then win the flag is worse than the Crows

1998 - they win 13 games finish 5th - get flogged by Melb in week one - by plus 10 goals - and get a 2nd chance - that is rubbish - then simply win 3 games - and they are the champ - no that premiership should be ruled null and void

1997 - they get a vital home final in the 2nd week - the AFL were making up the rules re finals in the 90s - on a daily basis - there was nothing set in concrete

Adelaide are yet to win a proper flag - alah - have a very good season - win 17-18 games etc - and then win the flag - mickey mouse rules in the 90s got them the 2 flags

I'm sorry - but that is exactly sour grapes.
The rules re finals were set before the season started - the Crows won according to the rules.
The aim of the AFL competition is to be the best side on the field in the Grand Final. To do that, you have to
a) win enough games during the season to make the finals and
b)win the finals needed to be premier. That applied in 1997, 1998 and every other year.
In 1997, they got a home final because they were playing the side who finished 2nd, who got beaten by the team that finished 7th (7th! - Geelong were lucky to get the second chance after that :D ). Also in 1997, Adelaide had the highest %age in the league - maybe with a fair, balanced draw they could have finished top.
In 1998, They finished 5th and got beaten by the side that finished 4th. The sides that finished 6th, 7th, and 8th also got beaten in the first week of finals. Which of them deserved the 2nd chance more than Adelaide? (By the way, Adelaide also had the highest %age in the league in 1998 - maybe with a fair, balanced draw they could have finished top).
There's more than one way to analyse and manipulate stats to show who was better or worse team - or you could just play the games, follow the rules, and see who wins (hint: it was Adelaide).

Last edited:
Crows have 2 AFL Flags and Port have 1.

Crows are behind Hawthorn, West Coast, Brisbane, Richmond unbelieveably and Geelong. But they won Back to back. You only need a brief period to be successful as both Brisbane and Richmond have shown. Who cares if you've been trash for 80% of the time? See Richmond and Brisbane. They both have 3 AFL flags. Crows are ranked with Sydney, Collingwood, Essendon with 2.

Has there ever been more dross written on BF before? Seriously.

So a hypothetical situation - if Geelong (or any other side for that matter) scrape into the 8, and then happen to go on and win a flag, then it shouldn't be counted as a real flag?

Anyone who believes that, stand on your head.....

Port probably unlucky not to have snagged a flag during the Brisbane era (2001;02;03). Had more H & A wins that any other club during that time.

But I guess you've got to win the prelims first.....something the AFC has had difficulty with at times....

Can’t disagree but you’re still the least s**t team that resides in my state. A 1v2 premiership tally doesn’t really change my mind.

Anyways is there any actual reason why you can’t you guys wear your prison bars in every home game bar Collingwood maybe just replace it with teal for that one game.
Eddie is a knob and Koch is a punce

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I call it equal.

Both teams have vastly underachieved during their time in the AFL with Adelaide overachieving twice in 1997 1998.

3 premierships between the clubs but plenty of failure too. Port have lost 4 prelims from top 2 spots, Adelaide 3 from top 2 spots. Both also dropped a GF in horrible efforts.

Port have been one of the biggest destination clubs, Adelaide quite the opposite. Port have had vastly less internal issues, stay more faithful with their coach while Adelaide often hit the panic button, have had more coaches (11) than any other AFL club over the past 30 years.

The showdown rivalry is one of the most intense in the competition, some of the craziest AFL games have been between these two teams.

Hearing Leigh Matthews hailing Geelong as the most successful club of the 21st century despite Hawthorn having won more flags in that time has got me thinking about who's been more successful out of the two SA clubs.

Port have a better win percentage and lead the Crows in the H2H count but the Crows have won an extra flag just like how Hawthorn have an extra flag over Geelong. Using Leigh Matthews logic you'd say Port have been the most successful South Australian club in the AFL era.

Which club do you think has been more successful in the AFL? Port or the Crows?
As a Port Adelaide supporter?

Adelaide.

Premierships only is a poor metric.
It's the only metric that actually counts....
apart from a club and it's own supporters , no one cares about winning %, finals played, final won, minor premierships, AA reps, Brownlow's, Colemans, Rising Stars, AFLCA Awards, AFLPA Awards, membership #s, money, sponsorships, spoons, average crowds...... they are all just accessories to Flags and can only be used as a metric when the two clubs being compared have won the same amount of flags.

it's funny you can write it lots of ways to suit any kind of narrative

Crows final 5 matches in 1998 - They travel away and play in Perth, Melbourne, Sydney, Melbourne, Melbourne and walk away with a 4-1 record and a flag - Not a single game in SA and they did it in September

Some would call the a feat worthy of a flag - and the history books agree

--

to answer the OP - both sides criminally underachieved as a whole, and the 2 flags to 1 make it a straight forward win to the Crows - just - Port win another flag before Adelaide and it tips very quickly and there is little argument...... unless we want to start using their 'ONE CLUB' mantra and bring in the 3x AFLW flags :D

Its all about premierships.

No it's not.

Going by that stupid logic, 2nd is the same as 18th (which it obviously isn't).

The ladder doesn't show Premiers, then equal 18th for the other 17 teams.

The ladder shows a ranking - a ladder. That means 2nd is more succcessful than 3rd. It means 3rd is more successful than 4th. it means 4th is more successful than 5th etc.

And those rankings need to be taken into account when looking at Port's history. Those top-of-the-ladder finished they've had (when not resulting in premierships) are still "more successful than at least 15 teams in those seasons. That's why we have an official ladder - it shows where ALL teams finished and it shows that some teams were more successful than others.

I'm not stupid enough to suggest that Essendon has been just as successful as Geelong from 2012 onwards, but if you think that only flags count, that that plainly ridiculous statement would be true. Spoiler hint - it's false.

No it's not.

The ladder shows a ranking - a ladder. That means 2nd is more succcessful than 3rd. It means 3rd is more successful than 4th. it means 4th is more successful than 5th etc.

And those rankings need to be taken into account when looking at Port's history. Those top-of-the-ladder finished they've had (when not resulting in premierships) are still "more successful than at least 15 teams in those seasons. That's why we have an official ladder - it shows where ALL teams finished and it shows that some teams were more successful than others.

I'm not stupid enough to suggest that Essendon has been just as successful as Geelong from 2012 onwards, but if you think that only flags count, that that plainly ridiculous statement would be true. Spoiler hint - it's false.
No it's not.

Agree to disagree. i don't enjoy footy like i used.. reason being the premiership drought the crows are (24 years). to me and many other fans its all about success and hoping to see your team win a flag(s)
Yeah, if you scrape into the finals then win a final or two or come from the bottom half of the 8 and make the finals the year after it can be a great season (like the pies this year) but if you are a contender and favorite and lose the GF or lose a prelim the season is a big FAIL.
As the port power fans say (which they pinched from the old 1870 port) "we exist to win premierships" lol so if thats the case, the crows have been more successful than Port Power. 2-1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back